Dissecting the Vandergriff duals

TotallynotLEO

As the title says.  Some takeaways from duals Saturday at Vandergriff duals at Halls. Some things I saw in no particular order.

Last year, Grace had barely half a roster. Not that they've been a power house in D2 but still.  This  year they've got quite a few kids. Jordan is a good coach and will get them coached up and they'll do good locally. The Mavrov kid at 175lbs for Grace is the real deal.  Not saying he wins it but he absolutely deserves to be in the conversation.  Holds good position,  good pressure on top and is lb for lb one of the strongest kids strength wise in the class. Also hear he is just an amazing young man.  

Page looks like they've taken a small step back this year. They've got some solid guys but not as many. 

Maryville has taken a step back. They've got some solid kids here and there but the loss of Peyton Cooper, Michael Coligan, Stadle and Hayden shows.  AC beat them in the semis pretty soundly 48-28. I'm pretty sure this was pretty close to full varsity line ups too. 

Speaking of AC, they beat Crockett straight up,  varsity line ups. It was close and looked like a good dual from what I saw.  I walked over to watch the 165lbs match between Bingham and Ferrell.  The Ferrell kid never really got anything going and was down 10-2 when he got reversed and pinned.  

DB got the win over Halls. I think both teams are feeling each other out still and trying to get full line ups healthy.  I know Halls had 2 maybe 3 varsity guys out. DB had a couple missing too. This should be a fun dual at sectionals and one I am really looking forward to with full varsity line ups.  The dual might look different at weights 175-215 at sectionals.  Also, Mason Jakob is a killer. I knew he was but seeing him in person,  you can tell.  He's on another level. 

Sevier County was present, they've got a ways to go.  Same for Powell.  

Hard to tell much about Pigeon Forge.  They brought a few varsity but I think they had 7 or 8 starters up at the Fandetti individual tournament.  I think if they bring full varsity,  they might have beat DB. I think they're that good.  Foreman was with them,  I bet he was getting a look at AC and Crockett.  

Edited by TotallynotLEO
Because I can't spell
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TotallynotLEO said:

Hard to tell much about Pigeon Forge.  They brought a few varsity but I think they had 7 or 8 starters up at the Fandetti individual tournament.  I think if they bring full varsity,  they might have beat DB. I think they're that good.  Foreman was with them,  I bet he was getting a look at AC and Crockett.  

Interesting about PF, I was wondering where they were heading with some of the lineups I've seen.  Sounds like PF and Anderson might be the favorites out of region 1 since Anderson beat DC and did so giving up a FF at 132.

PF hasn't shown their complete lineup yet,  only bits and pieces. I've seen most of them at one time or another and they're solid.  They've got a couple holes or weak spots but not many.  From 120lbs to 215lbs they'll be really good or at least experienced.  

Seymour is IMO the 2nd best team coming out of that region.  They're a tough match up for AC.  Where Seymour is weak,  AC is weaker.  The upper weights for AC are really solid  but you can't win a dual with half a line up.  

On 1/14/2024 at 12:51 PM, dontstopbelieving said:

The only way Halls and DB wrestle at sectionals is if somebody gets upset which I don't see happening. Should be

Halls vs. Mo West/ ScienceHill winner

DB vs. Maryville 

Halls and DB both make it to state duals and could wrestle each other somewhere in the consolation rounds.

Halls vs. Jeff Co / Science Hill

Jeff Co has already locked up the District Title

2 hours ago, WRESTLERDAD76 said:

Halls vs. Jeff Co / Science Hill

Jeff Co has already locked up the District Title

DB vs Maryville

After watching both,  I'd say DB 51-22

Halls vs SH/JC

I've only a vague idea on JC and SH. JC seems stronger up top,  SH in the lower weights. Halls gets either of them IMO but that's why we wrestle to see.