Wrestler's and coaches are funny...

RMC

Ok......with all the team bashing that been going on I thought I'd try to bring some humor to CoachT.

Wrestler's and coaches are funny......so I thought I'd a couple of stories and hope some of you would have some to also share.

Story #1:
We used to travel up to the Cleveland Duals on the Friday before the duals, and even started squeezing in a match with Baylor the night before a few times.

I was typically a chaperone and would be put in a room with 4 wrestlers. One trip Coach Ramos said I have a special assignment for you, and put me in a room with 4 of the studs.  I generally slept in the floor and by the door in my sleeping bag.  

The next day I overheard one of the studs talking to Coach Ramos and telling him he didn't want me in the room anymore.  Coach Ramos asked if there was a problem; the kid replied that I snored and he couldn't get out the door. Cliff asked why he needed to get out the door and the kid replied "well we were supposed to meet up with the wrestlerettes for Bible study."  Cliff said "After curfew!!.....That's exactly why he was in your room....now go try not to get beat."

Story #2:
I was at the high school one day in wrestling office and chatting with Coach Ramos.  He said hold on, I gotta make a call.

He picks up the phone and as he's asking the person what they're doing and as they respond he turns white as a ghost and says hang up I'll call you back.

I asked him if everything was ok.  He said "I hope so."  I think I said "What??"  The he said "That was Kyle.....Kyle Maynard and I asked him what he was doing and he said he was driving"  

Now if you don't know who Kyle Maynard is he was wrestler that was a quadruple congenital amputee. He didn't have full arms or legs.  He did have stumps for arms and he had to use both to hold a phone.  This was before Bluetooth or phones integrated with the car.  So you can get the mental image of what Coach Ramos was imagining.  

Coach looked at me and said....."I hope I didn't just kill Kyle"

Story #3:

Coach Ramos asked me to get the middle schoolers used to traveling and put a team together and take to them to an away tournament. So I get a pretty good group of kids together for a tournament in Pigeon Forge. Actually a really good group....9 kids would go on to be future state placers and 4 of those wrestled in college.....2 played football in college.

As we walk in a local man stops me and asks me who are these rednecks from Georgia.  Mind you this guy was wearing overalls, Carhartt shirt with cutoff sleeves, muddy boots, and a straw hat......

On this same trip....we got snowed in and had to check back into the Econo Lodge there in Pigeon Forge. Later that evening when I'm thinking I'll never do this again; the front desk calls.  The nice woman asks if I still have 14 wrestlers with me.  I said yes and I think they're in their rooms.  She says no they're naked in the indoor pool and that's ok since we're the only ones in the hotel, but could they please get the pool furniture out of the pool.....

Alright....lets hear your funnies... 

• Like 2

It’s funny but not funny.  Nobody was hurt so…. Match was heated and so our kid gets too physical and gets DQd.  But they let him wrestle next match, I was surprised.  Well before that match he is still hot and he yells to me whoever I get next is getting whooped.  Kid he was supposed to wrestle was right next to him and says well that’s me. Our kid looks at him and says well you’re getting whooped.  He delivered. He wrestled better agitated.  Kid was a natural but lacked training. 

Edited by oceansize42

Another, coaching MS this year and this kid (first year wrestler) is in the finals.  He says am I going to get a medal? I say well only if you win the finals (he would have gotten a medal for second).  I say you want that medal? He says "yes sir, yes sir I do".  Well that ref blows the wrestle and I've never seen a better blast double from a first year kid, level change, elevation, and a slam.  Level of absolute aggression was off the charts. I really got a good laugh out of that.

• Like 1

When my oldest brother wrestled at Hixson and they got a new coach.....Gordon Connell.   They were going out for a conditioning run.  My brother though it would funny to jump in the ditch and hide in a culvert until the team was coming back.  He didn't think anyone would notice as he blended back in on the return.

Coach Connell made him wrestle every person on the team.......and then the coach. 

• Like 2

Many moons ago I was helping with an elementary kids wrestling camp. Each coach was paired up with roughly 6 kids. My group was pretty new to the sport as well as young, 7-8 years old. While teaching the boys technique I had one kid that just wouldn't sit still and he was constantly disrupting the teaching by blurting out nonsense. I kindly told the kid that If he continued he would have to do push ups. For the rest of the camp for that day, that kid was doing was seemed like endless push ups.

Day 1 of camp ends and the boys mother comes up to me and asks why he was doing push ups. I explained that he was being disruptive and I had warned him a few times prior. She then proceeds to tell me that he was recently diagnosed with Tourette's syndrome. I was absolutely mortified. I apologized profusely to the mother and the child. I immediately left the school and purchased a $25 Dairy Queen coupon for the kid and presented it to him the next day.

Edited by ImYourHuckleberry
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RMC said:

Ok......with all the team bashing that been going on I thought I'd try to bring some humor to CoachT.

Wrestler's and coaches are funny......so I thought I'd a couple of stories and hope some of you would have some to also share.

Story #1:
We used to travel up to the Cleveland Duals on the Friday before the duals, and even started squeezing in a match with Baylor the night before a few times.

I was typically a chaperone and would be put in a room with 4 wrestlers. One trip Coach Ramos said I have a special assignment for you, and put me in a room with 4 of the studs.  I generally slept in the floor and by the door in my sleeping bag.  

The next day I overheard one of the studs talking to Coach Ramos and telling him he didn't want me in the room anymore.  Coach Ramos asked if there was a problem; the kid replied that I snored and he couldn't get out the door. Cliff asked why he needed to get out the door and the kid replied "well we were supposed to meet up with the wrestlerettes for Bible study."  Cliff said "After curfew!!.....That's exactly why he was in your room....now go try not to get beat."

Story #2:
I was at the high school one day in wrestling office and chatting with Coach Ramos.  He said hold on, I gotta make a call.

He picks up the phone and as he's asking the person what they're doing and as they respond he turns white as a ghost and says hang up I'll call you back.

I asked him if everything was ok.  He said "I hope so."  I think I said "What??"  The he said "That was Kyle.....Kyle Maynard and I asked him what he was doing and he said he was driving"  

Now if you don't know who Kyle Maynard is he was wrestler that was a quadruple congenital amputee. He didn't have full arms or legs.  He did have stumps for arms and he had to use both to hold a phone.  This was before Bluetooth or phones integrated with the car.  So you can get the mental image of what Coach Ramos was imagining.  

Coach looked at me and said....."I hope I didn't just kill Kyle"

Story #3:

Coach Ramos asked me to get the middle schoolers used to traveling and put a team together and take to them to an away tournament. So I get a pretty good group of kids together for a tournament in Pigeon Forge. Actually a really good group....9 kids would go on to be future state placers and 4 of those wrestled in college.....2 played football in college.

As we walk in a local man stops me and asks me who are these rednecks from Georgia.  Mind you this guy was wearing overalls, Carhartt shirt with cutoff sleeves, muddy boots, and a straw hat......

On this same trip....we got snowed in and had to check back into the Econo Lodge there in Pigeon Forge. Later that evening when I'm thinking I'll never do this again; the front desk calls.  The nice woman asks if I still have 14 wrestlers with me.  I said yes and I think they're in their rooms.  She says no they're naked in the indoor pool and that's ok since we're the only ones in the hotel, but could they please get the pool furniture out of the pool.....

Alright....lets hear your funnies... 

I had a lot of love and respect for Coach Ramos.  Great coach, better man.

59 minutes ago, matpitts81 said:

I had a lot of love and respect for Coach Ramos.  Great coach, better man.

Many people don't know this about him.....but it's just how he was.....you may enjoy this read too after the article below:
https://www.amazon.com/Backroads-Plan-Good-Deeds-Pee-ebook/dp/B078YDPQ6X?ref_=ast_author_dp

Here's an old article about his and his adventures:

Cliff Ramos has made his “Travels with Pee Wee” road trip adventure into an annual event, one that has now spanned eight years after he and good friend Steve West returned home this weekend. The premise is a simple one — to travel the country with no itinerary and no time constraints, to get off the beaten path and enjoy all the small wonders of the world that you normally pass while speeding down the interstate.

The former Collins Hill High and Greater Atlanta Christian wrestling coach always enjoys the trips, and keeps a journal (and a blog) of the places he visits and the interesting people he meets. He said this year’s trip was particularly poignant because it occurred during such troubling times in our country.

He and West drove through Baton Rouge the day before Alton Sterling was shot and killed in by police. The two were in Oklahoma, just hours from Dallas, when the tragedy unfolded there, with five police officers being killed. Ramos said the trip’s first stop was in Selma, Ala. — home of the famous civil rights marches — and ended near his home in Monroe, when he and West saw a car pulled to the side of the road with its blinkers flashing.

One of the important parts of the yearly trip is to try and do good deeds, Ramos said. So when he and West (known as “Pee Wee”) saw the stranded car, it was an easy decision to pull over and help. The trip’s ending put things in perspective for him, he said.

“We were tired, but we pulled over and a young black lady, about 20, had run out of gas,” Ramos said. “I drove Steve on to his house, and he gave me a gas can with a couple of gallons of gas in it and I drove back. She was very happy. You look at that and think: It’s pretty darn easy to get along.”

Fittingly, the eighth incarnation of “Travels with Pee Wee” took Ramos and West — also a former Gwinnett teacher and wrestling coach — to eight states. The treks have taken Ramos to 43 of the contigious 48 states, with Oregon, Washington, Nevada and North Dakota missing along with Rhode Island. Ramos said he and West drive about six hours per day, and try to do good deeds along the way.

Ramos chronicles those good deeds on his blog (http://good-deed-doers.blogspot.com) and asks friends and others to make contributions to the Lawrenceville Cooperative Ministry for each good deed. In the eight years Ramos has been taking the trips, nearly $10,000 has been raised for the co-op.

Despite long hours on the road, Ramos and West try to make three or four stops per day. One of those came near Amarillo, Texas at a place called Cadillac Ranch, which features a bunch of Cadillacs buried nose down with their tails sticking out of the ground.

Another interesting visit occurred in Clovis, N.M., where the two visited the Norman Petty Recording Studio, where Buddy Holly recorded “Peggy Sue.” For their good deed that day, Ramos and West helped move a piano, heavy speakers and other equipment.

But Ramos said his favorite stop was in Pecos, Texas — home to the first-ever rodeo. He said small towns such as that one are what the trip is all about.

“That’s the best part of the trip — getting off the highways, getting into small towns and doing little things and meeting people,” the recent inductee into the Gwinnett County Sports Hall of Fame said. “(Pecos) was just a different world than what we live in. I love going to places where you feel like ‘I’m gone.’

“It felt like we were on a different planet. And I like that.”

By - Todd Cline at todd.cline@gwinnettdailypost.com

• Like 2