Chattanooga Prep

59 minutes ago, Turtle said:

If Prep didn't win the title, Union City would've won it all. Let's stop with all the complaining if you knew going into the State Championship tournament that prep was going to be in it.  Congrads, Preps!

Pretty bold statement about UC winning it all if Prep wasn't in it. Prep beat them worse than the other two teams they played in the tournament......

You’re kinda right but heavily wrong on the recruitment part. Charter schools don’t recruit kids for sports only. They do have to post things about their school opening so they can get students. So what these kids all decided to go to the same school, what’s wrong with that? I have never seen so many adults hating on kids. This school doesn’t even have a senior class yet because they haven’t been open that long. These young men have been playing together since 6th grade. What does the coach being a trainer have to do with anything? What does it being an all boys school have to do with anything? Like get over it. 

Charter schools and Open zoning is supposed to improve education for all the kids in the state but coaches for sports teams use it to recruit athletes and load up teams. TSSAA needs to move some to Division II and limit the amount of kids eligible in open zones. 

1 hour ago, Khall555 said:

Charter schools and Open zoning is supposed to improve education for all the kids in the state but coaches for sports teams use it to recruit athletes and load up teams. TSSAA needs to move some to Division II and limit the amount of kids eligible in open zones. 

Good in theory but the TSSAA can't limit the amount of kids eligible in open zones they would get their pants sued off by the government.  Also in the eyes of the TSSAA over 95% of the schools in Tennessee are open zoned. (Anyone that has a transfer policy on file with the school board and can accept a student that is zoned for somewhere else is open zoned.  It does not matter the reason or how easy or how hard it is to get a transfer approved.)

14 hours ago, Swipes said:

Good in theory but the TSSAA can't limit the amount of kids eligible in open zones they would get their pants sued off by the government.  Also in the eyes of the TSSAA over 95% of the schools in Tennessee are open zoned. (Anyone that has a transfer policy on file with the school board and can accept a student that is zoned for somewhere else is open zoned.  It does not matter the reason or how easy or how hard it is to get a transfer approved.)

High School Coaches: I don't see how they do it. Teach, fund raise, develop skill, practice plan, scout, etc... Now, with vouchers coming and open zones (school choice) they are going to have to be recruiters... I just don't see how they do it. especially the schools that don't have the money to hire good assistants (or don't allot the money). Better them than me. LOL

Edited by WestTNHoopsFan

21 hours ago, Khall555 said:

When does it end?  Coaches, parents and fans, complained about the privates and wanted a complete split and got it, then there were rumblings a few years ago on CoachT about inner city schools and rural schools, now the complaint is public charter schools, magnet schools and open zoned schools.  Lets do away with the state tournament and just give every school a participation championship trophy and not worry about who has a competitive edge.  

Edited by QSouth89
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, QSouth89 said:

When does it end?  Coaches, parents and fans, complained about the privates and wanted a complete split and got it, then there were rumblings a few years ago on CoachT about inner city schools and rural schools, now the complaint is public charter schools, magnet schools and open zoned schools.  Lets do away with the state tournament and just give every school a participation championship trophy and not worry about who has a competitive edge.  

You have a great point and are right to some degree.  I would say the issue is an even playing field. I would be fine with all schools in one class and the best team win. I am fine with the classifications the way they are right now. Whatever. as long as all the schools are operating under the same restrictions or the lack there of. And that is just simply not the case right now.

1 hour ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

You have a great point and are right to some degree.  I would say the issue is an even playing field. I would be fine with all schools in one class and the best team win. I am fine with the classifications the way they are right now. Whatever. as long as all the schools are operating under the same restrictions or the lack there of. And that is just simply not the case right now.

School are currently operating under the same restrictions as it currently sits for each division. (Some might be operating illegally when it comes to recruiting).  It sounds like some people need to talk to their school boards about changing how things are written or allow transfer to be easier to get into their school system.  Like I've stated for year in the eyes of the TSSAA over 95% of the public schools in the state are Open Enrollment and the TSSAA can't do anything about that or would have their pants sued off.

29 minutes ago, Swipes said:

School are currently operating under the same restrictions as it currently sits for each division. (Some might be operating illegally when it comes to recruiting).  It sounds like some people need to talk to their school boards about changing how things are written or allow transfer to be easier to get into their school system.  Like I've stated for year in the eyes of the TSSAA over 95% of the public schools in the state are Open Enrollment and the TSSAA can't do anything about that or would have their pants sued off.

Great point. If a system doesn't allow kids from outside their district to attend school they are handicapping the coaches in that system. 

2 hours ago, Swipes said:

so question. if a kid starts his first 2 years at a school. then wants to play in the next school over. will there have to be a move to go to that school or can he just go to that school? who approves the transfer? with chatt prep and these other charter schools it seems there doesn't have to be a move or anything. just make the transfer. or does tssaa have to approve that transfer as well?

55 minutes ago, Onetownguy said:

so question. if a kid starts his first 2 years at a school. then wants to play in the next school over. will there have to be a move to go to that school or can he just go to that school? who approves the transfer? with chatt prep and these other charter schools it seems there doesn't have to be a move or anything. just make the transfer. or does tssaa have to approve that transfer as well?

They would have to move 20 miles radius away from the school they attended to be eligible for sports or sit out a year.  Thats the exact reason Boo Carter went to BC last year because he wouldn't have been eligible to play football at Brainerd  since Chattanooga Christian was in that 20 mile radius and he had a football record there.  I've also seen the State MVP for Alcoa sit out an entire year because he didn't move and transferred from Knox Catholic to Alcoa which wasn't 20 mile radius away.  Now they can apply for a hardship with the TSSAA is another way and has to be approved.

6 hours ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

There will never be an even playing field.  I recently moved to Chicago from Tennessee and I teach at a public school.  The districts or conferences in sports in the Chicago Public League are based on competitiveness not size.  Keep in mind every two years the conferences change.  The power schools are in the red division, the next is green and then blue.  If you win in consecutive years you or lose you move up of down.  Playoffs are based on school size and classification, Illinois has 4 classes which is needed.  There are just as many schools in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs than the entire state of Tennessee.