Smith County Basketball

1 hour ago, bobcatden said:

Both are on the same exit plan. By 2028, if not before, these coaching positions will be vacant.

Most of the discussion with those who actually cared was bringing back Coach Thompson and getting 4 or 5 years out of him. Then having a young coach possibly a local assisting and then taking the program over long term. Problem is Smith Co isn't a long term type program.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheHill said:

Most of the discussion with those who actually cared was bringing back Coach Thompson and getting 4 or 5 years out of him. Then having a young coach possibly a local assisting and then taking the program over long term. Problem is Smith Co isn't a long term type program.

Long term programs don’t just magically appear. Administration, alumni, and the community have to buy in. Good luck having that when you cycle through coaches lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bobcatden said:

Long term programs don’t just magically appear. Administration, alumni, and the community have to buy in. Good luck having that when you cycle through coaches lol

The only close to long term was Ash. He alone shorted that stay.

On 4/2/2024 at 3:23 PM, bobcatden said:

Both are on the same exit plan. By 2028, if not before, these coaching positions will be vacant.

Is it just me or does Carthage have a revolving door on Coaches? 

Seems they go through them pretty quick.

15 hours ago, TheHill said:

The only close to long term was Ash. He alone shorted that stay.

I assume you mean Dirk? 

Not his cousin? John Ash wasn't a basketball coach, was he? I remember that he was HC at Brentwood in football for 4-5 years a long time ago.

2 hours ago, captnoname said:

I assume you mean Dirk? 

Not his cousin? John Ash wasn't a basketball coach, was he? I remember that he was HC at Brentwood in football for 4-5 years a long time ago.

Yes...Dirk Ash.

2 hours ago, captnoname said:

I assume you mean Dirk? 

As to Coach T his problem was never his players or the community. His problem was Coach Gary Rankin. That's always been the talk  Ash always fell in line with Rankin. Never been one at Carthage like Coach T.

He will do fine at Smith County, they are loaded currently. Him and Ferrell will jump ship in the next 2-3 years after the talent base dissolves as is currently happening in the middle school around the county right now.

On 4/4/2024 at 6:40 AM, captnoname said:

Is it just me or does Carthage have a revolving door on Coaches? 

Seems they go through them pretty quick.

I'm just wondering since Ash how many boys coaches have we had? How many girls coaches? It's a revolving door.

On 4/4/2024 at 8:57 AM, TheHill said:

As to Coach T his problem was never his players or the community. His problem was Coach Gary Rankin. That's always been the talk  Ash always fell in line with Rankin. Never been one at Carthage like Coach T.

His problem at Tyner was with former coach Jim Dillard. Long story there.2 prima donnas. I don't know much about Smith Co but this new coach must have potential for them to pass on Coach T if he was interested.