school closing in Shelby county

16 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

Communism? Got it.

Fairness, where everyone plays with people who operate the same way. Reckon Alabama should be in the same League with NAIA schools.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, TheTruthHurts22 said:

For perspective the county school I’m associated and graduated from only has 7,600 people in the entire county with a median age of roughly 47. That’s not very many 14-18 year olds to choose from. I think the football team had 25-28 kids or around there. 
On the other hand Shelby County has 916,000+ with a median age of 36. This isn’t just about Shelby county, but all the big ones with huge economic advantages! 

An urban/rural split would benefit tons of smaller schools that have to compete with counties with 120x the amount of people. Especially the ones who can pick and choose their players from a pool like that!

I also agree with Pujo about charter and magnets and they will eventually be phased into the private divisions because it is obviously an advantage plus all the funding! Add that county schools can’t go recruit outside of their county like charters and magnets! 

So you want a have and have not split? Sound like the perfect ramp to elitism. Tell those rural kids that they'll never be able to compete with those urban kids. They're not good enough right? Or we could just do what travel baseball does and have tournaments every weekend and give kids big fake rings for winning a few games. The suburban public schools are typically the ones with more funds. Urban and rural schools have more in common in finances than they do with rural schools. I've taught and coached in all of it. The difference is attitude. But if you're jsut going to say you can't compete because you don't have the money then that's an excuse. Especially in basketball. The balls are the same size, the rims are the same height and size. The ball dribbles the same in some rural gym in mountains as it does in the FedEx forum.

Charters come and go like a fart in the wind. They are no real threat to anyone. Magnets could be but rarely do they win either. It just hasn't been seen in Tennessee.  

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 12:06 PM, fredjones said:

it all depends on how the TSSAA does classification in the fall.

Just wondering how that would work for this upcoming year?  

An influx of an entire school?  Enrollment at MLK Prep is roughly 395.  Add that to Trezevant at roughly 541.  

A 900+ enrollment school playing 2A ball this coming year? 

2 hours ago, Southtowner said:

An influx of an entire school?  Enrollment at MLK Prep is roughly 395.  Add that to Trezevant at roughly 541.  

Great questions. My guess, TSSAA wont touch it until the fall and by that time the seasons  are already in full swing. I'd bet this isnt the first time it's happened (a school closure causing an influx of students elsewhere) nor will it be the last. 

20 hours ago, Southtowner said:

It used to be, I think it still is, a change of 20% +/- gives reason to reclassify. Schools can choose to play up classifications but not down. Here is the mid cycle reclassification info on TSSAA.org

When Memphis East changed from a regular public school to an "all-optional" school in 2017 the would've dropped to A but chose to stay in AAA in basketball (baseball, and softball) Penny was still coaching there and with the players they had they would've beaten A teams by 40 and slept walked to the championship. Other Memphis schools stayed in their classifications (mostly in basketball) until the next reclassification cycle. Of course this is the same time that a 4th class was added basketball.

1 hour ago, warmachine7954 said:

It used to be, I think it still is, a change of 20% +/- gives reason to reclassify. Schools can choose to play up classifications but not down. Here is the mid cycle reclassification info on TSSAA.org

That was after the 2nd year of a 4 year cycle.  Since Covid we have been on a 2 year cycle.  So, there really isn't a "mid cycle" reclassification this time.   Idk if there's anything in place to address the issue of a school closing. 

My guess is, nothing can be done.  This would be akin to the 1st year of a 4 year cycle, where a school has the 20% +/- but not allowed or even have the option to move up or down.

1 hour ago, Southtowner said:

That was after the 2nd year of a 4 year cycle.  Since Covid we have been on a 2 year cycle.  So, there really isn't a "mid cycle" reclassification this time.   Idk if there's anything in place to address the issue of a school closing. 

My guess is, nothing can be done.  This would be akin to the 1st year of a 4 year cycle, where a school has the 20% +/- but not allowed or even have the option to move up or down.

I think the 20% has been in place for sometime. It doesn't happen often but there are times that districts merge or schools close and this has to happen. 

We will finish the last year of a two year cycle in 2024-25. Classification will go to a four year cycle again I believe in 25-26. Nothing can be done about school closing and going with another school until reclassify.

On 5/2/2024 at 11:52 AM, Southtowner said:

Trez's last scandal has died down, so I guess this is there opportunity to be the best 4A team playing in 2A a la Sissy MTN.  At least they won't be in a Z-district with 1a teams in the regular season.