A SAD day in Tennessee HS Basketball......

gomab2

As a totally objective outsider i have to ask a question.

Am i the only person reading this thread who thinks that one violation is a bad thing....much less 4? It seems to me that 4 rules violations over 7 or 8 years is a sign of a program out of control Maybe these rules violations are more common than i am aware. Im not doubting that he isnt a great coach and hasnt helped lots of kids....but what message does it send when he seems to have a blatant disregard for the rules under which he should abide?

Okay.....that's 2 questions....my deepest apologies. I am curious if i am alone in feeling this way.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I promise you, these rules are broken or stretched to the limits. If you are going to get rid of one coach, get rid of them all and start with a clean slate. They have all done what coach Hopkins has done at one time or another. They are all guilty,if they would be honest about it. Coffman ,a Dyersburg coach, called a player at her home many time, when she was a freshmen in high school,trying to get her to transfer to,Dyersburg. I'm not going to call names ,but she was a starting point guard at DC. There are many many more of there infractions against Dyersburg that have not come out, yet

[Edited by figbar on 12-31-02 1:48P]

It is always somebody else's fault. DC is being punished because somebody from Dyersburg is on the TSSAA board. Cry cry cry cry cry cry. It is time for each program to take responsibility for there actions. DC is asking him to resign, not the TSSAA or Dyersburg.

Remember, Dyersburg is the cream of Dyer County.

Coffman has forgotten more basketball than posters on this thread ever even knew. ;)

Wescharge, you are lost as a goose. Butch turned in his resignation, the Superintendant wouldn'd take it. Butch is still, Coach. Here is what im hearing, now.. If TSSAA punishes the whole team,Butch stays. If they do nothing to the Boys as a team, Butch is gone. Thats where it stands now. The Supertendant is doing what is best for the players and I agree with this whole-heartedly.

[Edited by figbar on 12-31-02 5:53P]

Guest Phisherman

What does the following statement mean, If TSSAA punishes the whole team,Butch stays. If they do nothing to the Boys as a team, Butch is gone? You would think it would be just the opposite.

The TSSAA never makes a ruling until after the school has taken whatever action it plans to take. Then, the TSSAA either will accept the school's actions or add to it.

Posted by overtime:

when the TSSAA is going to make a ruling? It seems to me there is a lot of assuming what is going to happen. Why not wait until the TSSAA does somthing or why doesn't the DC administration push the issue to get this put behind them one way or another.

What I'm trying to get across is if the team is going to be punished anyway, then why not let Butch stay and finish out the year. It would be very hard to find a coach this late in the season. Then at the start of next year,find a new coach. If TSSAA does nothing, then everything is dropped. With Brentwood winning their lawsuit over TSSAA, they might be a little reluctant to punish DC.

With Brentwood winning their lawsuit, does that make what Dyer Co. did legal? No. They broke a rule when it was a rule. To make things worse, they broke a rule WHILE ON PROBATION!!!! Is anyone else confused by all of this except me? :confused:

Whether is 3 or 33, a rule was broken, and 3 rules broken are 3 more than you were supposed to break in the first place. If Dyer Co. has all this dirt on Dyersburg, play your hand. It's not like anyone is above it. All this he said she said stuff is insignificant if noone chooses to do anything about it. Sam Miles, the TSSAA, or anyone else is NOT to blame for the actions of your own people.

Do I want to see Dyer Co. go down? NO. All it will do is hurt the kids in every sport, and aren't sports in High School for the kids? Correct the problem and continue. Let the problems solve themselves on the court, not in the courtroom.

Go to this website to find the ruling the courts layed out for TSSAA. The recruting is not illegal. So that makes Dyer Co. and everyone legal. Read it and weep at www.tennessean.com/archives/01/02/o2697506.shtml If you can't get it by clicking on the site, go to Google Search engine type: Brentwood vs TSSAA then search,that should get it.

[Edited by figbar on 1-1-03 1:35A]

This is the private vs public debate all over again. We are dealing with a PRIVATE school's violation of their first amendment rights. They have a RIGHT to promote their school however they see fit in accordance with the law. The discussion about Dyer Co. is in regards to the public school system, run by the state (TSSAA), which Brentwood Academy, in theory, is not. The TSSAA has time and time again shown that they allow these schools to align with the TSSAA, but have little to do with their enrollment status and athletic participation. They are funded by the parents of the students with little or no help from the state.

What I find amusing is that all this crap you have talked about Coach Coffman recruiting is now, in your mind, o.k. You need to look a little closer into the TSSAA guidelines before you start handing people a box of tissues. :o