A SAD day in Tennessee HS Basketball......

gomab2

I have been an avid supporter of Dyer Co basketball for the past 7 or 8 years and have been truly impressed with the changes Butch has made to Dyer Co basketball and the community itself. I have never in my life seen a coach that cared more for his players than he has and yes i have seen life outside of Dyer Co basketball for I will just pick certain games to go to when the oeange and white or not playing. I didnt wont to beleive the rumors that i was hearing but tonite at the game when it was over I knew it was for real when I seen Butch get a little emotional. There is not a single thing a DC fan would like more now than for Brian and Montrelle and the rest of the team to stay focused and go on to win that gold ball this year. I am almost certain that Butch will be in the boro with the rest of us in march. If we win it Brain and Montrelle should hand the gold ball to Butch and let him enjoy it with the rest of us.

God bless you Butch!

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys.im from halls and im an avid fan of a coach who poors his heart and soul into his kids and tries to make a difference.as a volunteer coach myself with young kids of different ages,i know sometimes that a coach might have to go the extra miles by picking up a kid and taking him to practice.sometimes,you never know how good a coach makes this kid feel by caring so much.even though butch is known for being a hard worker and strategist,his kids and others know how big of a heart he has inside.sometimes its not what you know but how much you care.i think it was a great tribute by listening to some of the previous posts on how people feel on bringing home the gold in the state to there team and have butch involved.by being a volunteer coach,i know that butch would have to be touched.these players for dc will poor there heart and soul into every game they play even without butch on the sidelines because butch will be in there hearts and give them that extra drive.you never know how much of an effect you have on someone,until they are gone.im sure it will be very emotional for everyone involved.good luch dc.hopefully there will be a great story book ending in boro this year.

Guest BigKahuna

As a recent graduate of DC, I saw what Coach Hopkins put into the program at Dyer county. Anytime you saw that old DC orange truck rolling across town, you knew, you KNEW he was picking a kid up for open gym, taking him home, or doing SOMETHING for the kids that were his team...no; his FAMILY. When I heard the news, a tear or two drew to my eye; a 20 year old kid almost crying over a high school coach. But there's so much more to it. It's just sad that there are people that have 'political' ties to the TSSAA *cough* Sam Miles *cough* among others that won't give the 'redneck county schools' something to be proud of. I say the administraton at DC, as well as the TSSAA should be utterly ashamed of what has happened to the Dyer County program. The last game Butch coaches, I just say that the other team better not bring any fans, because orange and white will fill the gym and our hearts forever.

Thanks Butch.

Class of 2001 - Dyer County High School

He was asked to resign by the Superintendent. Not by the Principal. This is just an opinion, but I don't think anyone at the school wants Butch to resign. It all involves the scrimmage with Milan, coupled with last year's bus ride and maybe the fight with Obion County. Butch has probably not done anymore than any other West Tennessee coach, but he has always been under the watchful eye of the TSSAA. Butch has turned in a letter of resignation to the principal. It is supposed to take effect after the Christmas Tournament. To my understanding the TSSAA at this point has not acted on any of the charges. I understand that the charges have come from two schools in the area at the urging of another. I hope that this answers your question. I for one hope that he stays, he has mean a lot to the boys and girls of Dyer County.

I played for Coach Hopkins from 94-98. I can honeslty say he changed my life. He opened my eyes to jsut how hard a person needs to work in order be successfull. While at times, I thought I was always right and he was wrong, I always learned from it. Coach Hopkins is the most driven man I have ever seen. TW is right, when he says his work ethic sometimes blinded him. However, that is not a crime. Its only a mortal mistake, and he is jsut that a man. Although, sometimes when your around him you would think he is something of a different world, he is not. He only wants to win, and he did whatever it took. Yea, he may have broken some little rules that he shoudlnt have, but that still doesnt take away from what he has done for so many kids. Basketball has lost a great coach, and i cant express great like it should be, and a great man. The people on here that bash him didint get to see what I saw, and did nt get their lives affected liek I did. I got a chance from him when no one else would give me one, and I am forever greatful. Thank you coach, Corey Smith.

I do not have a child who plays BB in HS, I just follow the team. I do have three children who attend DC schools and am terribly upset about the fact that pressure put on by a system that was formed to make sports equal and fair has been used as a pawn for adult jealousy and unfounded accusations. I cannot say Butch did or did not cross some line, I truly have no concrete proof, proof that I also do not have for other schools in the area that have crossed this same line. I only know that Butch has been crucified for something that all teams in the area have been doing for years, they just haven't had a team that was capable of going to the state level of competition. If they had that capability they would have been there. It is awfully sad when adults control a sports program at any school for the benefit of the adults and not the kids. Any kid at DC or Dyersburg or any other school in the area has the potential to have a career, a life a future beyond Dyer County. The lesson that they are learning is the lesson of jealousy, not supporting fellow students and pure vindictivness. Once all of the adults in Dyer County learn that ANY child from Dyer County going beyond our community to bigger things reflects on our community as a whole, not just one school all of our kids will benefit. Any kid who goes to DC or to Dyersburg doesn't feel the same way the parents do. The problem is the parent's. For the sake of our children, lets come together as a community. I would like to propose a support group for kids on this website, not a bashing match for adults. Let's get real and serious. The kids are important not what you think about a coach,a person on this website, or even yourself. If you would like to simply support all athelets, please contact me.

I have to say in all fairness, I think forced resignation of Butch Hopkins is the saddest, most unfair thing I have ever seen. This is simply my opionion. The sad part is, if you are a coach, it could be you next time you have a great few seasons. I have read the TSSAA rules. If you are a coach, you should read them very carefully too. Butch is a prime example of political control over a system that has no business in politics. Having said that I'll shut up.

The argument that someone should not be punished just because "everyone else does it" is highly illogical. If you get caught, you will be punished. Hopefully, other who break the rules or "cross the line" shall get what they deserve, and in a perfect world they would. But this is not a perfect world, nor is it a fair one. Coaches will always attempt to get around the rules set by the TSSAA to gain an advantage. Some will do too much to ignore or sweep under the rug any longer. This is what happened to Mr. Hopkins. This is purely my speculation, but had he not resigned, Dyer Co. would be left in an even worse place. Hopefully now you can move on. If he had been allowed to stay, not only would the TSSAA have continued to investigate and punish, but the problems would still exist. Mr. Hopkins knew the rules just like everyone else. He knew what standard he had to live up to. Perhaps in the eyes of the DC blind he did, but he did not, and a forced resignation is the price he had to pay. I wish Dyer Co. nothing but the best in the following months. Hopefully this puts an end to the problems and I recommend to all DCHS fans and supporters to move on. I can speak from first hand experience, the more this is dwelled on, the worse it will become. Accept the fact, let it go, and move on.