A SAD day in Tennessee HS Basketball......

gomab2

Great post, OCRebel! There are many coaches that try to bend and skirt the rules for an advantage. Memphis is full of them!!! Coaches that blatantly lie, cheat, steal and defy the TSSAA to do something about it. When these coaches are forced to resign, I'll be a believer in the fairness of the TSSAA's decisions. As long as these coaches are allowed to remain "above the law", the rest of the state should cry out for justice.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is rummor that DC is trying to talk Marty Sisco into comming out of retirement. He won 2 State Championships at Union City. I repeat this is a RUMMOR. A lot of rummors are flying around right now. Someone has put a huss on this thing, and knowone knows anything. Sounds like alot of politicing is going on here. There's know telling whats going to happen next. I dont see how the team is playing so well with all this crap going on. But Butch is the glue, when he leaves it could be disasterous. I hope it doesnt happen, but its going to take a special coach to keep it all together. I hope and pray everything works out in the end.

[Edited by figbar on 12-27-02 1:29P]

[Edited by figbar on 12-27-02 1:32P]

Yes there has been a rumor started about Marty Sisco helping out the situation at DC but it's only wishful thinking on someones part. Not only would Marty probably not have any interest under the best of circumstances but it would put him in the same district with his own son Shane at Union City! So I think we can put that rumor to rest. I fully expect Assistant Lonnie Starks to be an interim head coach through the end of this season.

I agree with you that someone should not be punished just because "everyone else does it." But, let's look at the infractions. First there was the bus ride with the eighth grader, which Dyer County reported itself. Then there was the fight with Obion County, which was just as much one's fault as it was the other's. And the officials as well as the school staff did as good of job as could be done in taking care of the situation. Then there was the Courtney Jones deal. His father, who is now employed in the Dyer County School System, called and talked with TSSAA officials and was told everything was good to go. And finally the fouth: the scrimmage with Milan in the spring, which was a violation of the self-imposed saction. That's four violations, the only four in the history of the school. And the TSSAA wants the coach to resign? Let's look at some violations of other schools and the penalities.

What about Memphis Melrose and the football violations? How bad was their penalty? Dyersburg girls practiced during the "dead period", they called the TSSAA and report themselves (no penalty for that one). Dyersburg had two fights last year in basketball and one in baseball and only had to pay the fine and the usual sit out period. When Dyer County had their fight the couldn't host the sub-state plus the fine and sit-out period. Again that was the first fight in the history of the school. And here's one more (and I could tell you a lot more) The Dyersburg baseball team had a eight grade athletic ride the bus to their baseball games. They say he was their batboy! Dyer County is guilty no doubt about it, but the penalties should all be the same, not because someone has a personal vendetta against someone. In other words "No double standards"

All coaches should be held to the same rules. It is not fair for one coach to be punished and another not. But, unfortunately, life is not fair. Mr. Hopkins broke the rules, several times, and is being punished for it. Others that break the rules, and think they are bigger than the establishment, should be punished as well.

Shooter I did not really understand the 8th grader on the bus deal anyway. The kid in ? was attending a DC feeder school and lives in the DC school district. What is the burg upset about? All fights should recieve the same penalty. What did Obion get? C. Jones did his time. The scrimmage is a problem.

Enough to make a coach resign, I doubt it. I don't think this battle is over. Since Brentwood won their battle and I think Dyersburg and others will suffer also if it happens, there may be a penalty, but I don't know about a forced resignation.

The Superintendent of DC is the one that put the pressure on, Butch. He told Butch if he did not resign, the principal of Dyersburg (Sam Miles) would not let up until the whole DC school system is punished, if he (Butch) didn't leave. Thats when Butch said I QUIT. There is alot of politicing going on here, it is a crying shame. I am disappointed in our County Superintendent, who will not step up for, DC and Butch. The Supertindent has a stack of infractions against Dyersburg, but want use them, because his wife works in the Dyersburg School system. He's afraid she will lose her job. Also he ain't got no backbone,the Superintendent said the infractions against Dyersburg wouldn't be turned in as long as he was in command. I say we boot the Supertindent out and Butch stays!!!

[Edited by figbar on 12-29-02 12:22A]

[Edited by figbar on 12-29-02 12:24A]