Solving the Problem!

FlyBy

Gentlemen and Ladies,

Here we go......

If you want a solution, then let's look at the problems. It is always best to look at all of the issues before we fly off the cuff with a knee-jerk reaction. I have read a lot of the discussions, and they all have their good points. Let's break it down just like breaking down film.

We are going to have to address serious and painful truths about the system if we really want an answer. The answer is not always focused on athletics, but often it is a significant impacting factor.

Therefore, let's start with this. Bullet point the issues with the private and public recruiting schools that are causing the feud(not just the obvious ones), and let's bullet point the issues why parents pull their kids out of the public school system whether or not they are recruited.

Keep your points in bullet point fashion. Don't start trashing each other yet; let's get it on the table in this manner first.

Recruiting Schools- (What is the negative effect of what they do)

Some potential issues are:

Recruit the talent away from the public programs

Sacrifice the values of their schools for athletic gain

Sacrifice the student athlete for advancement of the school

Take away the supporters of other programs

etc....

Public Schools- (Why parents send their kids to private school whether or not they are recruited)

Some potential issues for parents are:

Quality of coaches

Quality of education

Lack of organized spiritual influence or faith based education

etc....

Please add to both lists over the next few days. The lists may include generalities that are not indicative of the situation at all schools.

List away, please!

FlyBy

FlyBy:

I would say that the "problem" can be put in one nutshell: * recruiting -- undue influence.

A high school's coach or athletic department cannot make primary contact with a non-enrolled student, who is not in their primary feeder program.

If all coaches would simply vow to not make direct contact with non-enrolled students, we would be well on our way to solving the problem.

[Edited by StanTrott on 1-2-03 8:47A]

[Edited by StanTrott on 1-2-03 8:49A]

Stan, I don't neccessarily disagree with the spirit of your proposal, but if your solution is that coaches can't make contact with middle school students, why make an exception for coaches that are contacting students in "feeder programs"? Doesn't that run counter to your argument that we are over-emphasising athletics?

itzme,

In a lot of cases, the feeder program is on campus (at most independent, private schools) or there is only one feeder program/school for the high school (many rural county schools).

It would make no sense to prevent a high school coach from working with his own feeder program. In some cases, high school coaches have involuntarily taken over middle school programs on a temporary basis because no middle school coach was hired.

My philosophy of high school sports is that academics are the first priority, and athletics are subservient to the academic life.

Flyby, problems as I see them.

*Recruiting-undue influence by schools

*Tuition vs. non-tuition schools

*Feeder programs

*Urban vs. rural

*Lawsuits

*Integrity Issues

*Trust Issues

*Ethical Issues

*Best for kids

*TSSAA guidelines

*Open zones

*Liberal interpretation of TSSAA rules

*Breaking "spirit" of TSSAA rules

*what the meaning of "is" is

Please, if I missed any feel free to add.

The real problem is the nature of private schools is directly opposite of the nature of public schools. Public schools have legal feeder schools that provide students based on several factors. Private schools must "recruit" (not necessarily for athletics in this sense of the word) students to attend their schools because of the fact that they don't have feeder programs to provide new students for their schools. Magnet schools are another matter all together because they draw students from across a school district using a "lottery" to select their students from those who have requested to attend. Since "Independent schools" must "recruit" new students to attend their schools, they advertise, and provide information to the public in the same way a business does to promote public awareness of the services they offer. The problem is some coaches feel that it is necessary to "recruit" talent for their athletic programs in the same way. UNDUE INFLUENCE is any contact with a potential student "outside of the normal school procedures" and absolutely NO contact initiated by the coaching staff or administration of the school offering to provide services. If someone is responding to a general ad in a paper or publication, and is interested in attending a school, then a coach should have the right to talk to the student about the facilities after they have made a visit to the campus and talked to the administration. But the coach should not do follow up calls to push the family into signing a contract or any other matters until the student has agreed to attend the school and the paper work is completed. Even then, under the TSSAA rules, the student is not a part of that school until he or she completes the Spring semester and matriculates to the next grade.

I think the problem is open zones.

No one would complain if the private schools had their set amount of kids within a reasonable proximity of their schools like public schools did. Unfortunately they can not do that, because they would never have a significant enrollment...not everyone in one particular area could afford to send their kids there...or would want to do it.

Maryville, White Station, Ridgeway and a few other schools that have open zoned policies are now going through the same things that private schools that are in Division 1 are being subject to.

I don't think its that big of a deal personally but it is one reason that some schools are better then others.

> open zones

The only rational and consistent problem across the board is the open zone question. Someone on another thread (my apologies to whomever) suggested this solution: multiplier of 1.0 for student-athletes who lived in the area of the school, 1.5 for kids zoned to another school in the same county, 2.0 for kids living outside the county, and 2.5 (I think) for kids living outside of a 50 mile radius. I suggested that the rule be waived for schools who had not made it past the first round of playoffs and I also think it should apply to magnet school also in the interest of fairness.