MT. PLEASANT HIGH FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!

Guest goinggoing

kpidepiper... you have every right to send your written request to Kip Reel, but unless things have changed in Columbia, it will not matter, unless the principal decides on Coach "B." I don't know what kind of working relationship they have, but I would think being a former football coach himself, Mr. Wolaver will pick someone he feels he can work well with. It may or may not be who you like, but it will be his decision to make. I'm not saying there won't be some outside influences, but he will be the one to decide. I think Kip will go along with his decision. Your local county commissioners and the school board will have SOME input as well. The biggest thing, as I stated earlier, you must have the right teaching slot before they can bring in anyone else, so that may work in your favor.

GOOD LUCK! :D

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ELA....."Wisdom is wasted on the old", I know plenty of good young coaches who have the energy, fire, desire, and KNOWLEDGE to be successful Head Coaches. Some of them even teach THIER players to play clean and with class(you might want to think about that one.) No offense, but your little crack was uncalled for. Sometimes the game does pass people by. In this day and age, you had better be able to communicate with the players, and sometimes that means speaking thier language. If MT. P. is smart, they will hire a good young coach who can make those players want to have good discipline instead of trying to ram it down thier throat, or look the other way. If you ask me, that seems to be the ingredient missing. They have tons of athletes. Good Luck in your pursuit of that job.

Boy NEWEAGLE, I don't know where any of that post came from. I don't recall putting down anyone in my previous post? Unless you are reading from that quote in the "signature section" that is about 100 years old! If that is what you are referring to, it is something that goes on almost half of my posts, you can put anything in that section... see your membership page.

[Edited by ELA on 1-27-03 7:25P]

I sent a letter and resume to Mr. Wolaver when it was first announced, but I haven't contacted the Maury County Public School Administration for a formal application. I have several other interviews scheduled and I'm sort of hoping I will be "off the market" by then, but it would be a great place to coach. I think Region 6-1A is a great place to coach and the Columbia area is a good place to live and work. As I have stated earlier, there will be plenty of solid candidates lining up for this job and the next coach will do well!

It would be interesting to see my spread offense in Mt. Pleasant!

When exactly was the deadline for applications? I know it's sometime in February, but not sure the exact date. I've talked with some assistant coaches from different Davidson County schools who'd like to apply. Two are from Maury County and would like to have a chance to move back down there.

I loved coach Dugger. I graduated in 2002 and we went 4-6 that year, but I think our problems were more our own fault. Players make the team. Our offensive line just didn't work together and execute well enough for us to win. We had the talent. We were also too lazy at practice.

I don't think you guys help your case by cutting down your former coaches. These men worked hard to coach this team, the fact that they have had a few bad years shouldn't be held completely against them. It takes more than just good coaching to develop winning programs. I hope you understand, I'm not taking up for them, I'm just saying it is somewhat immature to always blame the coaches for everything. The head coach has stepped down, now it is time for a new regime. Let's hope things will improve for the Tigers.

[Edited by ELA on 1-29-03 8:59A]

I have continued discussing with several people at various locations in Maury County the football situation in Mt. Pleasant. Individuals at WXRQ (1460-AM), the Daily Herald, the Maury County Central Office, MPHS, and those on the booster club have all voiced their opinions and they all have different views concerning who the next head football coach should be.

To answer the previous post, I have heard several names which haven't been mentioned on here but are still hopefuls to some of those close to the situation. They include people already a part of MPHS such as (Andre Baker, Randy McNeese, Mike Dugger, Mike West, and former Def. Cord. Bobby Winston).

Of course the majority of people do favor local hero Eddie Bassham, who proved to be a success at middle school football and high school baseball. Still many want a new look from someone at a successful program nearby, such as coaches and asst. coaches at Wayne, Lewis, and Perry County's.

The one thing that surprised me was that some locals are still upset at the loss of Coach Dugger, who feel he was "ran-off" by crazed and irate parents like the Kelly's who feel they or their kids could do a better job running the program than the coaches. This is something all applicants must be very wary of.

Regardless of public opinion, it is Mr. Wolaver's that counts. Whomever he decides will inherit a very talented and potentially powerful squad that should compete with most anyone in the years to come.

Guest lovebaseball

Due to the circumstances at Mt. Pleasant the Football team has been in need of all the help it can get. This change is going to hopefully be the best thing that has happened to MP

in a long time. Coach Dugger was not ran off by any parents,

the parents who did go in and complain had a very good reason to and they were anything but irate. They were just the first set of parents who had the guts to try and get something done. Mr. Wolaver contacted other coaches last summer about the job before this years season even started. He was the one who went behind Duggers back and ran him off not the parents who are taking intrest in their children. The applicants for the job would probally be glad to know there are parents who are favoring the change, who want something better for their children than an 0-10 season. What kind of High School Memory is that to look back on?

After reading all these posts on this particular

thread, I am glad to see the interest in the Tiger

program because it is past time for it to happen.

I am proud to declare I am a Class of '78 graduate

of Mt. Pleasant High School and have noticed the

steady downfall of the once Mighty Tiger football

program, but like many, life is fast and busy and

we don't always pay attention to details.

I am ashamed though to say I attended more Lewis Co.

football games in the past few years than I did my

own school. The reason being the coaching, the folks

who are supposed to make changes, and just in general

MPHS football has not been a very pleasant site.

But now the time has come to see the glory years

return to Tiger Football and the right man for the

job is Eddie Bassham. Why?

1. He is a life long Tiger. 'nuff said

2. He and a coaching staff assembled by him

will make an immediate impact.

3. The player's respect him and believe in him.

4. He know's the game of Football even better

than Baseball and all you have to do is look

at his record there.

5. The parents and the community will back him

100%.

It's time to bring back the smash mouth, high octane

Tiger Football program of yesteryear, where Friday

night's were exciting and carnival like atmosphere,

where the stands were packed and the side road's

were lined with cars of folks who couldn't get in

the game. Mr. Eddie Bassham can and will make that

happen. ;)