AP poll AA (top 10)

Guest gilessf

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of these teams cannot make the state tourney. I know a very good team will not make it past the region semis in Region 7AA (Westview, Gibson County, Obion County, only 2 can move on). Out of the Jackson County, Livingston Academy, McMinn, somebody will lose at substate. Giles County and Chester County have a lock unless one of them loses in the region final and have to play each other. Oliver Springs will be there along with another region 1/2 team, who should that be?????

My state tourney teams are as follows....

Region 1/2 Oliver Springs ????????? South Greene use to be strong, do they have a chance????

Region 3/4 Jackson County, Livingston, McMinn....odd one out probably loser of Jackson County/Livingston region final.

Region 5/6 Giles County and Chester County are locks

Region 7/8 Westview, Obion County, and Gibson County.....whoever finishes 2nd in the district finals tournament will be a lock.

OS91....who else is strong in the east? I am telling you that Westview is as strong as anyone, maybe except Jackson County.

Westview might be as strong as anyone, but I hope their schedule doesnt hurt come tourney time.

Alcoa, South Greene, Austin East, or maybe Kingston could pass through to the state tourney. I admit that any of these teams would have an uphill battle once making to Mboro.

When you thinki of Tellico Plains, Meigs County, Walker Valley, and McMinn Central being in 5AA , then Livingston Academy, Jackson County, Upperman, and Cannon County in 7AA its scary to think only two of these teams can advance to the final 8.

Once again, who has Oliver Springs played ? What was there record at LA ? They lost to a very mediocre Cumberland Co. team. OS may be tough at home OS91, but what does that matter come tourney time ? OS is an average team who will make an early exit due to their lack of experience and inability to win games on the road...Practice this chant w/ me OS91 , "OVER RATED" clap, clap, clap-clap-clap, "OVER RATED".....it's likely you will become quite familiar with it over the next few weeks...especially on the road !!!!!

I think you're saying that winning at home isn't that big of a deal and I agree. To me road wins and neutral site wins are big when trying to compare these teams. If you look at it like that then OS has beaten Clarkrange (15 points) Giles County (12 points) and Cannon County (3 points) on a neutral floor. Their losses on a neutral floor were to Crossville (10 points) and Coffee County (8 points). Coffee County is good, but the Cumberland County game was disappointing, however, OS was missing a starter that day (Brianne Lankford last year's #2 scorer) and they were a little down after losing to LA. Overall the Lady 'Cats have shown that they can compete with anybody in the state. Their weakness appears to be showing up every night (Cumberland County and Kingston). They have road losses at Jackson County and LA along with a home win over McMinn Central.

OS is still a young team with just one senior, they have to learn to play every night if they expect to win it all.

[Edited by goosevol on 1-14-03 12:51P]

[Edited by goosevol on 1-14-03 12:53P]

Before I go any further, I realize that there are many factors involved in a won/loss record or even strength of schedule.

Livingston Academy, year in and year out is a VERY GOOD team. They came to West Tennessee over the Thanksgiving holiday and lost 2 games. One to Dyersburg and the other to Briarcrest. Westview has beaten Dyersburg twice. Jackson Co. has lost to, what appears to be, very tough competition. Not to mention the fact that they are the defending champs. Until they end their season with a loss, they are still number 1 in the state, the rest is trivial.

Westview, Gibson Co., Obion Central, Chester Co., and several others will be teams that are in the mix come Feb. and March. Don't overlook them.

I applaud Livingston Academy for coming across the river to play. Ask them if West Tennessee, namely NW Tennessee basketball is any good and they might just tell you differently. Heck, ask Jackson Co.'s coach what he thinks about West Tennessee basketball and you just might be surprised.

Just because your team happens to be in 7AA doesn't mean that our girls in NW Tennessee don't know how to play, just ask Livingston Academy. ;)

Obviously the elevation of OS Lady Cat Basketball has created a jealousy of some sort and hit close to home.

Teams that OS has beaten. I think this more than ansers your uninfomred question of asking who OS has played.

1. McMinn Central ( probably top AA team in state) and OS might be the only TN team to accomplish this feat on the road or away.

2. Giles County ( state runner up in AA from last year) and will battle for gold ball again this year.

3. Clarkrange ( will battle for A trophy a top 3 A team)

Also, OS has beaten very good teams in ( top 10 A) Harriman (by 40), Cannon County, Grundy County. Sure, OS was upset by Cumberland County and Kingston this year, but the Lady Cats are still very young. I dont think they will lose again until state tourney time. You sopke about OS losing on the road and finding travleing unfriendly, but I dont see anyone challenging OS in the districts or the region. Kingston caught the Lady Cats offguard and won. The lady jackets should be commended, but no one else is even close to OS in regards talent, exectution, and scheduling in Region 2. Their is a huge difference between OS and the rest of the field. So, why you think OS will have a problem with any team home or away is almost amusing, but lets let it play out and see who will be clapping come tourney time.

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP

You saw OS play one or two times and you know alot about them,whats Cumberland County record ? Is it 500 yet I havent checked but I do know they are AAA with about 2100 students.They beat OS so what see at the end of season where each end up? Just you have bad games here and there doesnt mean your good or bad just consistency in young good basketball players,look back through the summer as OS drilled CC two or three times then CC gets them on a down day for OS can happen to anybody and besides that CC has a good young basketball team that will mature and be a contender in the next year or two so put your teeth back in your mouth and give OS a break... ;)

This thread is a lot of fun to read but it reminds me of a passage from Ecclesiastes because it is all meaningless. I am a realist and understand that we are all just entertaining ourselves. Is it possible that there will be an upset somewhere and one of the chosen few that have been mentioned above wont even make it out of the district or region. It is the middle of January... the players that have posted here need to concern themselves more with the next tuesday or friday and less with bantering about who is the best and will end up in M-boro. That will take care of itself.