The Shot Clock

Hawk1434

i think they adopt a 35 second shot clock. I know it takes away the chess match strategy for the coaches but the game isnt about them. Its about the players and a shot clock makes the game more fun and gives more players a chance to show what they can do. It also is a commercial issue b/c more people would come to the games if they were more fast-paced and exciting. Being a high school player, I know that I would welcome a shot clock right now in the middle of the season.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't ruin a good thing. Being able to handle the ball is a part of HS hoops I don't want to sacrifice so some stud can get more touches. I like to see team basketball, & intorducing a shot clock only make it closer to that junk I refuse to watch called the NBA.

Don Devoe was a great coach with no shot clock & minimal talent. How many high school coaches would follow the same path?

How about the teams that spend hours working on the type game that gives their team the best chance to win- the slowdown or stall?

Posted by thunder30:

I think the big thing for the players is that they get to do what they spend hours in a gym workin on and not play keep away for a whole quarter. I think that the stall game is only fun for the coaches and old school fans.

I am not adamantly against the clock but I am usually against changing the game in any way. The large majority of the games would not be affected by a shot clock, anyway, so it seems it would be a lot of expense, trouble, etc for little reason. That said, there are those few times when slowing the game is the only strategy that gives a team even a small chance of success.

We could argue back and forth about which teaches more values. And, overall, yes it is about winning. Not at all costs, and there are more important goals of course, but teams practice and play with the ultimate goal of being able to win. If it is district tourney time and we are playing a team that is more athletic than us and has beaten us by 15 both times in the regular season then I am going to do whatever it takes, within reason, to give my seniors a "chance" to win and continue their season. If I have to slow the game down and bore every fan in the gym for three quarters then so be it. But, if we hang close, they will be on their feet in the 4th quarter. :o

[Edited by coacht on 1-19-03 9:06A]