The Shot Clock

Hawk1434

instead of the shot clock thats what the 5 second rule is for so no one sits on the cornewr holdin the ball for 30 secs at a t ime if you wanna be lazy and not play defense and take the esy way out and get the shot clock then go ahead but if you wanna buts your tail for five secondsa and make em give up the ball theres bound to be turnovers.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No shot clock!!!!!!!!! I do not like it at any level. A shot clock is a commercial move and not a competitive or strategic move. I admit that I am not crazy about watching a real slow game but I do appreciate the strategy and the chess game like moves involved in high school basketball without a shot clock. The mental part of basketball is what makes it a great game.

I've played with a shot clock before, and I can honetly say I did not see it really effect the game at all. In most games, the teams will find a shot before the shot clock expires. What you would see is teams like Lipscomb who are generally very methodical with their offense be forced to change a little bit, although this year Lipscomb is scoring pretty quick. I think the shot clock is a good idea, just not for high school basketball.

[Edited by Fridge on 1-18-03 12:28A]

I recently saw a game where a team had a kid 6'11''

at the post. This team held the ball at the half court line for the last 2:30 of the game and the coach really couldn't defend because of this big kid at the post, they ending up shooting at the buzzer and winning by 2. This was a very close game all the way through and both teams played hard until the end. The coach of the losing team could have made his team step up and play at the risk of losing when the ball got to the post- it's a hard call though when the teams are evenly matched and it's a close game. I don't think that is a win to be very proud of. If you don't want to play the game then stay home! Holding the ball like that only shows that you don't have enough confidence in your team that they can play and still win. I don't know how it could be accomplished but there either needs to be a rule or something to protect against that- I agree that it would be too hard to find someone qualified to run a shot clock.

Personally I would like to see one in a game, earily in the year my team was down by 6 with 3:30 left in the game. The other team passed it back and forth and only made the safe passes they wasted 1:30 of the time just doing that. I know it would cost money but for a team to have a lead with 5min left and be able to almost secure a victory by holding onto it is wrong.

Posted by XtremeLoco:

Personally I would like to see one in a game, earily in the year my team was down by 6 with 3:30 left in the game. The other team passed it back and forth and only made the safe passes they wasted 1:30 of the time just doing that. I know it would cost money but for a team to have a lead with 5min left and be able to almost secure a victory by holding onto it is wrong.

If the team that was behind would have played some defense, you can come up with a turnover there. You're just trying to come up with an excuse for not being able to defend in that kind of a situation. It's not wrong. It's just playing basketball better than your opponent.

That's just playing smart basketball. How can you say it is wrong? If your team wouldn't have gotten down early in the game, then it would be different. Or, turn the table, if you were up by a few points, and the other team is making a comeback, and has momentum, wouldn't you try to slow that momentum and try to hold on to a victory for your team.

I think that being able to hold the ball, or take time off the game by making safe passes is a great strategic move, especially if your team is under-manned. If your team fought hard to get up by a few points and now has a chance to win a big game, it would be a smart move to hold it. Plus, it makes the other team adjust to you, and you might get something good out of it...like a win.