Baylor vs. McCallie???

Honaton

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you couldn't make it, you missed a great high school event. Thank goodness the fire marshal didn't show up, I'm sure the crowd was way past the legal capacity. Following are my impressions of the match (remember I am a McCallie fan). I hope a Baylor fan will help keep me straight with a counter point of view.

130 - Smith(M) dec Carson(:D. Hard fought match but Carson wasn't able to produce many scoring opportunities. Smith wins for the 2nd time this year.

135 - Manley(M) pins Mooney(:D in the 1st period. Mooney was able to bail out of 2 whips and Kenny Mara saved him from a 3rd but the 4th proved too much.

140 - Blair(M) dec Dostor(:D. One of the best matches of the meet. Dostor mounted several good offensive attaches but Blair, the master of funk, countered well for the win.

145 - Scott(M) TF Moore(:). Ryan dominated from his feet for the tech without any back points. Bunches of TD's.

152 - Connell(M) dec Hodge(:). Lee continues to regain his health and his wrestling is improving proportionately. I don't recall the Baylor wrestler mounting any real offense.

160 - Levitt(M) dec Blockley(B). Stephen like Lee is finally getting healthy at just the right time. Was very impressive on his feet. Was up by 7 and cut the Baylor wrestler to go for the major and lost the last TD.

171 - Hobbs(M) dec Swartz(B) by 3 in the nights most exciting match. The McCallie freshman was on bottom to start the 3rd with the score tied. Swartz threw in the legs but got too high. Hobbs reversed Swartz to his back to go up by 5. Swartz got a late reversal for the final score.

189 - Rudolph(M) dec Nation(B). The Baylor wrestler hits an early fireman's carry for the initial lead. In Rudolph's 3rd match of the season, he steadily battled back for the win. Another wrestler starting to hit his stride at the right time.

At this point the score is McCallie - 29 Baylor - 0.

215 - Hutchenson(M) gets caught in the 1st period and pinned by Walker(B). The match appeared fairly even until the fall.

275 - Huffstetler(B) dec Green(M) by 1. Common hvy wt type of match. Losts of pushing without lots of scoring. The McCallie freshman appeared to be giving up about 50 lbs yet this match was not decided until the very end.

103 - Manson(B) dec Roberts(M). Another good match. Roberts took the early lead and appeared to be in control. Manson battled back in the 2nd to even up the score. The extra weight loss appeared to rob Roberts of some 3rd period energy that allowed Manson the victory.

112 - Geismer(B) pins Wheeler(M). A short but intense match. Another McCallie freshman battled hard by couldn't overcome Geismer's experience. Look for Wheeler to become a force in the next couple of years.

119 - Leen(B) dec Cleveland(M). The McCallie soph jumped out for the first TD and rode Leen out the 1st period for a 2-0 lead. Cleveland chooses neutral and Leen gets a 2nd period TD and then a questionable (sorry Kenny) 3 point near fall in a scramble. Leen takes down in the 3rd and again gets a very questionable (sorry Kenny) reversal for the final score of 7-2. I look for this to be one of the great matches in the state finals.

125 - Silberman(M) dec Manson(B) 2-0. Although the score was close, Silberman dominated the match choosing to work for his tilts instead of playing the take down game. To his credit, Manson battled hard (I've never seen this young man not wrestle hard for the entire 6 minutes) but Silberman's strength advantage was too much.

Thanks Redraider0185 for the name corrections

(B) and (M) added per panfan's request.

[Edited by walkenvol on 1-26-03 11:32A]

I'm going to personally call in the fire marshall to the next McCallie/Baylor match. It's ridiculus. If you're going to charge admission, you have to be able to insure that spectators can spectate. Come on Jim - Buchheit and Morgan!

It's a long trip from N'ville to look at the back of a bunch of heads.

[Edited by realsoccer on 1-25-03 6:54P]

they could always close the doors when seating is full. it wasn't that long ago (pre-teddy's dollars) that mccallie's meets were held in that ancient dungeon of theirs. i was told that the seating at mccallies new facility isn't that great either. maybe you could get ted to give another write-off to baylor......what ya think

I went with some friends to the baylormccallie match. There are a few points I think need to be made. Remember, this is non-biased against Baylor or the steroid jockeys. Baylor had a packed house and it was an awesome enviorment. Me and the guys i were with wanted to suit up, it was great. The match started at 130 which helped Mccallie with momentum. If the match started at 103, it could have helped baylor alot. The match at 140 where dooster lost was the biggest match. Dooster had Blair on his back early in the first and everyone went nuts (except for Walkenvol) until Dooster was reversed to his back. From then on momentum was with Mccallie. The baylor wrestlers didn't look like they thought they had a chance. At 160,71, and 189 Baylor had a chances to win which could have turned the table. By the time Leen got to wrestle, the match was over. He wasnt fired up and didnt wrestle his best match against a much bigger(than last year) and fired up Cody Cleveland. Baylor also had a bad habit of lowering their head and taking horrible shots that weren't set up. Almost every match had a bad shot where the mccallie wrestler put on a front headlock and got behind. Advice to everyone who wrestles McCallie, set up your shot and stay out of the front headlock. They usually dont shoot (which is why Scott has so much trouble with Marable) and when not putting on front headlocks, they like to snag the leg. I think the match could have been won by Baylor if they started at 103. Thats just me though, im sure.

One, it's "Doster" and two, the fact you'd make an accusation regarding steroid use with absolutely no proof demonstrates you don't have the class to attend a Baylor/McCallie match. You probably are deficient in a number of areas which would keep you out of either school for that matter.

[Edited by takedown3 on 1-26-03 5:17P]