Catchers

SACDAWGS

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Corey Curlee of Shelbyville Central deserves a mention here. She has a great arm, calls the pitches very well, and adds a very strong bat. She had never hit a homer until this fall when she knocked two over in one game. She batted about .430 last spring. Along with the pitching of Toni Jensen and the defense and hitting of a couple of other seniors, as well as some freshman talent (including a backup catcher and pitcher) I think Shelbyville will surprise a lot of folks this year. KEEP UP THE HARD WORK, COREY--IT WILL PAY OFF SOON!!! Go Eaglettes--Basketball's not all that's happening in Shelbyville.

Emily will be a sophomore at Sequatchie County High School. She should be one of the best catchers around Chattanooga this spring. She was a little overshadowed by an All-State pitcher and an All-State shortstop but she did make all-district. Her batting average ended up at .300 and the team saw a lot of good pitchers (East Ridge 3 times, Bledsoe 3 times, Cookeville, Davidson, Dickson, Boyd-Buchanan twice, Father Ryan, others, and she sometimes didn't get the at-bats against a few lesser teams to pad the average). She was better behind the plate, catching a hard throwing senior and throwing out a good percentage of would be base stealers. Her summer batting numbers last year were very good, I will post them tomorrow or soon, editing this post.

I am very fortunate to have one of the best young catchers in the state at Walker Valley. Last year as a Freshman, April Richards, posted big numbers and played like a senior. Her batting average was .385, slg% 714, ob% 467. She scored 23 runs, had 35 hits, 8 doubles, 5 triples, 4 home runs (over the fence), 23 RBI's and 11 stolen bases. She only had 7 passed balls in 32 games and was 12 for 36 on throwing runners out. One of those happened to be the center fielder for Soddy Daisy which led the state in stolen bases last year. April played catcher for the Frost Falcons 14U the last two years. She is the real deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Hollie Sanders from Columbia Academy was one of the best catchers in the state of Tenn. She could also kill the softball with one swing.But, from what I here she is not going to play her senior year and not sure she's going to play anymore softball. What a shot in the arm this is going to be for Columbia Academy softball team trying to get to the state tournament, as they have been eliminated in sub-state four years she's played since her 8th grade. Does anyone know why she giving it up?