Is the NBA even considered Basketball anymore???

gomab2

There are some things that I just can't bring myself to watch on TV these days without being completely disgusted. The "Bachelorette" is one. American Idol is another. The NBA is as well........

The biggest insult to the Game I Love is the NBA. I am reminded of this as I attempted to watch last week's Wizards-Bulls game, as Jordan has always been my hero, and I used to love watching him back when basketball in the NBA mattered........

The game was absolutely pathetic. Everything that I love about basketball--Intensity, heart, hustle, desire, defense, teamwork, and, well, basketball--was missing from the game, seemingly possessed in only Mr Jordan himself....

It was absolutely pathetic to see play after play that lacked all of the above. All game, players walked up and down the court, failed to defend both on and off the ball, elected not to play any helpside, took terrible shots, and loafed all over the court.......

True basketball is found in the college game, the high school game, and even the Grassroots AAU scene.... Just keep the NBA away from me......

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It just depends on the game, gomab. I've been to several games since the Grizzlies moved to Memphis, and most have been good basketball games. There were a couple of clunkers, but it really just depends on the teams and players.

It's much, much better basketball than I honestly expected it to be the first time I went.

I think if you watch a game on television and you go to a game its a lot different. I mean watching the Braves play is pretty boring until you go to Turner Field and sit in the stands, then its pretty fun. Watching the NBA is no different, at home its boring and its a lot like watching the Discovery Channel do a special on the mating habits of three legged toads. However, when you go watch a team play the atmosphere makes the game go quicker and seem more exciting. I think the NBA is highly overrated and over paid, I agree totally with everything GoMab said...good mark!

That's true for baseball because...well..baseball is boring. haha Basketball is exciting to watch. Whether it's on tv or you're at the gym. I only watch NBA games if two teams who are atleast somewhat rivals are playing..or if it's the playoffs. Those are the only times they actually even attempt to play hard. The Lakers/Kings games...I love watching those. But the "rules" in the NBA are absurd. I see players take an inbound pass...and then casually take three or four full steps before dribbling. And that's insane. Other than the traveling rule...I think they should increase the shot clock to about 30 seconds. I mean...with 24 seconds...if there is a little token pressure full court...then by the time you get it up the court and controlled..you have about 10 seconds to shoot the ball. That leaves teams no time to move the ball around...IF they decided that's what they wanted to do. But I'm with you. I'd rather watch college and high school basketball than anything else. Like for instance, the Mountain West Conference games that come on ESPN really late. I enjoy watching those until one in the morning...more than I enjoy watching Ron Artest make a fool of himself..and pretty much making a fool of basketball in general. The NBA definitely needs to look at itself and make some changes.

i agree with you jdub....almost. yes baseball games are long and drawn out, but i think they are way more exciting than the nba. its all individualism in the nba, which is why i think they make such a big deal about assists these days b/c the players are a bunch of sellouts. granted there are some vets like stockton who pass often, or kidd and nash who are master passers but i think they're definitely a minority in the nba. not to say that i dont like seeing hardcore dunks or anything, i like watching dunks just as much as the next guy but i think it means more in high scool and college when it doesnt happen all the time. so i guess i pretty much agree with you except the low blow to baseball...but i guess thats just me.

I think in the NBA that the heart is just not in the game anymore. I mean, the guys are getting paid millions even if they sit on the bench and look pretty and they know that even if they go out and play like crap that they will still get paid, therefore, why play hard? I just don't think that the love for the game is there once someone reaches the professional level in any sport. Also, next time someone watches NBA, watch the players feet. All they do is walk. If the refs called all the walks, both teams would have 30 or more turnovers a game. The NBA is almost a joke anymore, I think.

gomab nice post because alot of teams literally make me sick when i glance at them. The knicks are one team, the heat is another but my fav. team is the kings backed by the celtics and the kings play the best team ball in the league, especially in big games. The teams like the knicks and heat are teams that play with no desire and no heart and you can see it plain as day but all good things start with the office guys and the commisioner is partly to blame. Get a person with real love for the game such as a larry bird or a jerry west and i think you would for sure see a positive change in the way nba games are played.

I say no. They re-wrote the rules for the Bulls and again for the Lakers. It's more like pro wrestling. Remember this prediction: no matter what seed they are, the LA Lakers win the championship this year. The NBA puppetmasters will not let their most valuable assets, Shaq and Kobe lose, a la Hulk Hogan!

Not that I am an NBA fan, but for the record, the players that are making the millions of dollars that you hear about have to earn it. If they ride the pine, they will make some cash, but not there full salary. Say John Doe signs a 1 year deal worth 2 million. If he rides the bench half the time, he might make a little under a million. Thats still a great sum of money, but still. If you are a starter and play almost the whole game, you will make your salary, unless your like Ron Artest and get ejected for trying to fight Pat Riley, lol.

I feel what gomab is talking about, but I think that a lot of the problem with the NBA is the long season. College Ball is the best, but the good team only play 35-38 games a year at the most. I really enjoy watching the NBA at PLayoff time. It's amazing, but they actually play defense in the playoffs. That comeback that Boston made against New Jersey last year was unbelievable. The NBA is great at playoff time.