Centennial Soccer

faninthestand

Great to hear that Centennial has over 40 guys interested in playing for teh cougars! Any truth that Ryan Mattison was thinking of not playing this year? Would hate to see that.

With only 19 guys playing last year, are the bulk of the 40+ guys freshman?

Any word on the coaching position?

Looks like the Cougars will be building a strong program again.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to break it to you but Centenial is not on the way to a good program. Their coach is Craig Long, in all likelihood the worst soccer coach in America. Chris Cheredar (the team's leading goal scorer and best player last year) who recently moved away will back me up on that one and considering they lost him I'd say they are screwed. They have no offense and an even weaker defense that is centered around a player who can't handle it.

I played for Centennial last year and intend on playing this year pending the coaching desicion. Ryan is still playing and we had about 40 Freshmen at our informational meeting but only about ten freshmen regularly show up at conditioning. CHS will be virtualy the same as last year, Chris moving to Tampa is our greatest lost from last year. I expect us to be slighly above 500 and still struggle against good teams(Brentwood,Franklin...etc). I have high asperations but we'll have to wait for the season to see how things play out.

i haven't played for craig long before but i've played for some pretty awful coaches and i doubt he could be the worst. cetennial will have an ok team this year. they have talent just not a lot of it. if they get any injuries they could be severely screwed. ryan mattison will most likely carry the team offensively but they have some real talented players to complement him. and look out for their sophomore gk patrick lazear, he is already as good as former chs keep overrated matt campbell who is playing in college now. the season isn't over yet just because they didn't land gary germaine

I'm suprised at at your assessment of your current keeper. What has he acomplished relative to Club soccer. Has he played for a state title in DIV 1, or play ODP? I understand the previous keeper was recruited by 3 Div 1 programs and quite a few D2 programs, how is that being overrated?

Glad to hear Matison is playing - but he will need plenty of help.

we both play for a very good tnfc87 team. the team did not do well in state last year but we're a very different team this year. some quality results include beating bretnwood rangers 5-2, and tying defending state champions knoxville fire 1-1. we feel pretty confident looking ahead to state this year. i know our club team/chs/or patrick himself havent many accomplishments as far as trophies go but trust me this kid is good. ill talk about him on gk thread

First of all Matt Campbell was not some prodigy keeper but was good and got it done...who is this new keeper?...ive never heard of him. what makes him better than the "overrated" Campbell? let me know some info about him...height, size, abilities, experience, etc.

is this sophmore/freshman(?) going to be the actual starter?

[Edited by AllAmerican912 on 1-30-03 8:57P]

yes he is going to be the starter this year without question. after returning from an injury he got playing indoor he did start 4 games and played a few other second halves of games, all scoreless, because "solid" matt campbell felt he was above practicing with the team. hes 6'2" with huge hands and about 160 lbs. great leaping, lateral quickness, anticipation and great hands. i know no one has heard of him unless maybe you've played us in travel that's why im bringin this up. dont get me wrong, centennial is not going to wow anyone with their incredible skill or speed or size. but the suspect defense will be anchored but a very, very good goalie who you will be hearing about for the next three years

Guest frustratedjock

chs05 - before you talk smack about a player make sure you have facts to back it up, i know campbell from club ball and you know not what you speak.

One - campbell was State ODP 84 Keeper for the past 4 years and did not allow a goal in Sub Region Competition in those 4 years

Two - campbell played in three state championship(Div 1) games with 3 different teams over 6 years.

Three - campbell was recruited by at least 3 DIV 1 schools and countless DIV 2 and NAIA schools for his services in college

Four - If not for campbell, Centennial last year would have been raked by brentwood in the tournament last year, and many other games in his career at centennial

It's good you feel strong about your new keeper, but until he does something to prove himself, or gets calls from schools in Florida, Kentucky, West Virginia .... don't trash other players.

as everyone knows i am "overrated" Matt Campbells brother but i go to franklin while he went to centennial. i was at everyone of centennials games last year unless i had a game of my own and i dont recall seeing patrick start in any game except for maybe one and that didnt even last long because matt came into the game. patrick didnt even start the game over spring break when matt was unable to be at the game because he had already had other plans, ryan mattison played the whole game and put up a good showing. by all means matt is a great keeper and whoever chs05 or gk05 is knows it. patrick will be a great keeper by the tim he is a senior but still has some work ahead of him to accomplish everything that campbell has. it will be interesting this year for all three williamson county teams and everyone has a lot of work to get to how good they were last year.

haha wow it looks like we have the whole campbell family in on this thread...i like the family support from dad and little campbell. matt was good and this new kid...who knows, overall i havent heard much about centennial being good. brentwood and franklin will most likely own district again. we will see...whos the new coach?