Smyrna's "Coach"

flngrvy

How is it possible for Hendersonville to beat Smyrna twice given the talent Smyrna has? I have no dog in this fight but the level of "coaching" by Smyrna's head guy is at best an embarrassment. During the games he looks absolutely clueless and has no idea how to utilize his amazing talent. I think the "game" has simply passed him by. He should retire and let someone closer to the "new game" have a shot. Pitiful. :confused:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JESUSISLIFE2

well i was at the game. and eric lyons (one of the best players on the team) didnt play at all. i dont know if it was because he got in trouble or what, but he dressed out and didnt get to play. so i dont know whats up

First of all, coach Mooney is one of the best and most respected coaches in the mid-state and has been for a long time, ask any one of the men he coaches against and they will tell you so. Second of all, the two big men while putting up solid numbers do not run the floor well against a team like Hendersonville who has the ball out of the basket and running back down the floor while those two guys are looking around to see if anyone saw them score. They also spend more time complaining to officials and talking back to their other players and their coach than they do worrying about playing a team game. I can not speak for coach Mooney and don't have a real "dog" in the fight either, but I'd bet he'd rather have two 6'0 guys that have a lot of heart that give everything they have every time down the floor.

Ignoranace is bliss. Posters 1,2,4, it is very obvious you have no idea what you are talking about. Smyrna has a very talented front court but absolutely NO guards. Is this Coach Mooney's fault? about as much as having a 6'10" and 6'9" kid in the middle. Guards win games for you baby, you don't have any you are either screwed or extremely lucky. In Smyrna's case they are just screwed. I like Warner, he is a good high school player, but Swader?, highly overrated, and inconsistant at best.

How many points did 6'1" Wieke from H'ville score against him the first game? I believe it was 28! Swader can't guard me.

The reason that Eric Lyons isn't playing is because he can't handle pressure. Just look at the first Hendersonville and the LaVergne game where he had 4 times as many turnovers as he did assists. This years Smyrna team is nowhere close to as good as they have been in the past. It doesn't matter how big your men are in the middle, if you can't get the ball up the floor because of lack of guard play you can't win. Also, there is a reason that Hendersonville has only lost 4 regular season district games over the last 3 years. You guys need to get a better understanding of the game before you go bashing a very good coach.

didn't see this game, haven't seen Hendersonville play

With that said, I have seen Smyrna. Their coach is clueless as to how to use the talent he has been blessed with coaching. Swader and Warner could be something special and very well might be at the next level. It is a shame these kids aren't even going to win their district when they have the talent to play in Murfreesboro at the end.

The lack of guard play is a copout.

Guards are important to winning but not having two 6'8"+ guys.

Hey back off coach Mooney, its not him that loses the game. Its the fact that he doesnt have good guard play to go along with his frontcourt. If you dont have good guards it doesnt matter what level its on, you wont have much for a team. He cant afford to go really deep so its hard to coach this group. He may end up having a better team after those guys graduate and he have some experience guards.