Smyrna's "Coach"

flngrvy

No matter what kind of tallent or what kind of coaching style, everything depends on 15,16,17 year old "KIDS". Are they mature enough to handle things? Have they had a bad day at school? Are they having problems at home? Do they even understand the game? I think there are a lot of factors involved in what goes on with any sports team that involves children. ;)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bigpoppa relax. Name calling is beneath you. The Swader kid should run the point and at 6' 8" that would be very difficult to defend. The outside-inside-to the wing with good rotation would be hard to stop. Now before you call me ignorant again, in the game I saw that's exactly what happened and it was very successful. Unfortunately it only lasted for about five possessions (all five resulted in points). The starting point was reinserted and the game got interesting again. Play to your strength, let the 6'8" kid play point he's no Magic Johnson (6'9" point), but at this level he would be effective. There's your guard play. By the way, you give the Smyrna talent to the coach at Hendersonville and they wouldn't have lost any district games in the past few years. ;)

[Edited by flngrvy on 2-2-03 8:14A]

flngrvy, you may be right, Swader at the point might well be their best lineup. I still have some concerns to him guarding on the perimeter and his shooting range. Hey, he is a D-1 commitment, they don't just hand those scholarships out to everyone.

Let's give some credit to Hendersonville, they are really good and have won several games in the same fashion they beat Smyrna. In Smyrna's defense, they have lost to some good teams with strong backcourts. They are probably playing for third in their district but basketball is a tournament sport.

Guest oldgold

Coaching is a none factor in this case. It is a simple case of making the three other players on the floor play. Keeping the ball out of Warner and Swader's hands is not hard to do and then it is up to the other three to step up and win the game. And NO, D-1 scholarships are not just handed out without some talent, but being 6'8 and 6'9 does help. Both with struggle at the next level, too soft and don't like to bang. Should own the paint, but instead, they get pushed out of it. Don't look to the bench, look to the players, or so called players. How can you have that size and not score 20 every night? And don't say coaching. Wrong!

The Point is, the Swader kid needs to face the basket and control the offensive flow. He's not built to post up with his back to the basket, rather, slashing the lane from a wing feed. He needs to face the basket to be most effective. I don't know if you've seen them play, but if you don't think the other post kid is a banger inside..what are you talking about? This is a team where "traditional basketball" should go away, let the 6'8" kid run the show from the top..don't put him in the paint just because he is 6'8". ;)

Man Coach Mooney is one of the best Coaches in the state of Tennessee. If you don't beleive me, just look at all the certificates on his wall in the coaches office, and just ask anyone in Lynchburg Tennessee who is the winningest coach in Smyrna history. By far, this is the best season that Smyrna has had since I've lived here. Did any of you people that are criticizing Coach Mooney start a season out 11-0? I don't think so. Coach Mooney is the reason I go to Smyrna in the first place. I could have been playin for LaVergne or USN, but Mooney's GREAT coaching skills made me come here.