state duals results

Guest jdlbb

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes perfect sense to me to move the duals and the individual tourney to a new location each year, if growing interest in the sport is your goal. UT Chattanooga does a fine job as do the folks at Clarksville. I think MTSU in Murfreesboro has a good facility to host either event, Nashville has a variety of locations Municipal Auditorium, David Lipscomb, Gaylord Entertainment Center etc... Knoxville has Thompson Bowling Arena, and while I'm not as familiar with Memphis they do have the Pyramid. I think it would be nice if during a highschoolers wrestling career he could have the state tournament at a venue close to home. I think that the kids in the Chattanooga area have a definate advantage having the tournament at UTC every year.I really believe that if wrestling is going to grow it has to have exposure in as many areas of the state as possible.

SHJ:

Please remember that Chattanooga Notre Dame finished 4th in the tournament; upsetting Christian Brothers. That match was the talk of the weekend.

Just because Baylor didn't place doesn't diminish their stature as one of the state's best teams.

Plus, you failed to acknowledge the number 1 and 2 place finishers in Division I was Bradley County and Soddy Daisy. Both suburbs of Chattanooga.

Just for the record, two of the best teams in Georgia are Ringgold and Lakeview-Ft. Oglethorpe. Geographically, they're even closer to downtown Chattanooga than is Bradley County or Soddy-Daisy.

Moreover, last year, we had THREE state champs within a 20 mile radius: Soddy-Daisy, DI; Baylor; DII, and Ringgold, Georgia. This year; we have two state champs already: Bradley County and McCallie. I'll let you know about North Georgia.

[Edited by ijtx on 2-2-03 4:14P]

[Edited by ijtx on 2-2-03 4:58P]

kjfan:

In theory, you make good points. In application, wrestling doesn't draw anywhere near the numbers as it does in Chattanooga. You'd be lucky to draw 1,500 in Memphis. The traditional state was moved back and forth from Chattanooga to Nashville for years. Year end and year out, Chattanooga outdrew Nashville.

Memphis is a great basketball town.