Top players in 8-AAA

Guest rockydawg

Great question. For one thing, it makes me realize I don't know enough about some of the teams and who they have coming back. I can really only give you an opinion on a few positions right now (and you know what they say about opinions anyway)...lol

Catcher--Cory Curlee of Shelbyville. Her offense has caught up with her defense now. Should have a super senior year behind the plate and at the plate.

Shortstop--Brittney Toombs of Coffee County. Moving over from third base. Has one of the best arms I've ever seen on a girl and a great glove. True power hitter. Another senior that should have a big year.

Centerfield: Laken Barnes of Tullahoma. She can flat fly, has a super glove and an even better arm. Nobody throws her out stealing (hmm...seems somebody might have last year but can't remeber for sure). Anyway, she's a gifted athlete and just a natural hitter. Only a junior.

Pitcher--Toni Jenson of Shelbyville. Several good pitchers in the district but she has proven she can do it under pressure against tough competition. Look for her senior year to be the best yet.

The great thing about the district is there are always new, talented players coming along and players from the year before that improve and surprise. You know Troy Smith at Lincoln County and Roger White at Columbia are going to have outstanding teams made up of outstanding players, as will Shelbyville, Coffee County and Tullahoma. I just don't know much about Franklin County and Lawrence County yet. Should be the best, most balanced district race in years. I think Coffee County, Columbia, Lincoln County, Shelbyville and Tullahoma will all be legitimate contenders for the championship.

Lincoln Countys shortstop her sophmore year and had knee surgery and didnt get to play her junior year. This young lady played outstanding defense as a sophmore on a good team that year. Look for her to surprise some people this year. Nothing flashy about her but plays solid game and very smart on the field which Lincoln County will need this year with such a young team.

They tell me Krystal Turner is moving over to second this year. Is that true? If so, I can't imagine anybody being better at the postion than she will be. Will she still pitch? Ami Bush has the potential to be one of the best players in the district. Who else will be in the outfield for the Lady Raiders and who takes over at third?

I can't wait to see Catalono as a sophomore. She improved so much during her freshman year. I hear Coffee County has a couple more young pitchers that are really coming on. Can you tell us anything about them?

Bottom line is, they're loaded again. Bush, Turner, Toombs, Catalano---any one of those could be the district mvp when it's all said and done (or pitcher of the year).

If they don't have a repeat of the mysterious offensive woes that plagued them a good part of last season, they'll be very hard to beat.

I was reading ERA thread. Does it sound like he will still predict Coffee County finishing in the middle of the pack of 8-AAA? The five seniors he listed are five tournament harden players. McCormick catching, Toombs at SS, Turner at 2B, Bush at CF and Clapsaddle in RF. I can't imagine a better defensive unit in 8-AAA or in the state.

I think Coffee County has a lot of talent led by Toombs at SS and Turner at 2B, best in the state.

I also like Laken Barnes (a lot of speed) in CF from Tullahoma and Toni Jenson from Shelbyville is a no brainier.

Can't wait for play to begin. Hardcore lay off ERA until early March, just watch everything he posts.