Anderson, Union, Campbell TMSAA large school brack

TheAnswer9

the problem with os playing the large school schedule the boys would get crushed most games. not to say oliver springs boys are not good, but year in and year out small division boys cannot even compete with bigger schools. oliver springs,oneida,lake city, wartburg all have 90-100 students in each grade--norris has around 125-130. the large schools like jefferson ,robertsville ,lafollette,clinton ,maynardville, have about 250-300 per grade. calculated out that is about 450-600 more students in middle school. that is a whole lot more players to choose from. some of the time it makes a difference in girls teams but always makes a difference in boys teams. what happens is about every 10 years one of these smaller schools has a team that can compete with the large schools but i do not know a small school team that could win the large school district not to mention the sectionals--- i saw mary blount middle school play a few years ago and they had a 6'4" center and the other four starters were above 6'0". these large schools just want a couple of sacrificial lambs for the first two round of there tourneys and some gimmes in the regular season. basketball everywhere the last twenty years in tennessee has been down by enrollment and should be that way.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

back from 85-87 when I played at then Norwood Jr. High ( students of Anderson County 's Oliver Springs area) school, the Jaguars competed against Robertsville, Jefferson, Clinton, William Blount, Heritage, Maryville, and Martin ( Crossville). Norwood was by far the smallest school. My class had an enrollment of 85 comapred to 3-5 times that number agasint the schools we competed against. We were competitve, but the girls were alot more compettive beatin Jefferson, Clinton, Martin and schools like that.

I know playing these teams in Jr. High made the transition to Oliver Springs easier when facing teams that were same enrollment. I still think the one middle school and A High School for both Anderson and Roane County would serve the area better. Not just for athletics, but in all aspects.

[Edited by OS91 on 2-4-03 3:34P]

[Edited by OS91 on 2-4-03 3:35P]