HOW ABOUT CHANGING SOME RULES

oleagle

I AM STARTING THIS THREAD TO SEE IF ANYONE OUT THERE WOULD LIKE TO SEE ANY RULES CHANGED NEXT YEAR. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE PLAYERS SHOOT FOUL SHOTS FOR TAKING A CHARGE. THESE PLAYERS SHOULD BE REWARDED FOR PLAYING WITH THE GUTS TO STEP IN FRONT OF SOMEONE AND GIVE UP THEIR BODIES. I KNOW MANY COACHES TEACH PLAYERS TO FAKE CHARGES BUT WHEN ONE DOES PLAY GOOD DEFENSE HE SHOULD AT LEAST GET TO THE FOUL LINE. WHEN A PLAYER COMMITS A BLOCKING FOUL THE OTHER TEAM GOES TO THE LINE IF THEY ARE IN THE ONE AND ONE,THE SAME RULES SHOULD BE THERE FOR THE DEFENSE . PLAYER CONTROL RULES SHOULD HAVE WENT OUT IN THE 60'S. ANYONE CARE TO ADD TO THIS RULE OR ANY OTHER RULE YOU THINK SHOULD BE CHANGED.

The rule I can't stand is when a rebounder can enter the lane after a free throw attempt. A rebounder should be allowed to enter the lane when the shot is released, not when the ball reaches the rim. The rule was changed just a few short years back. I was told the change came about to limit fouls and physical play. What a crock!

Guest hsbball55

I agree on the entering the lane one. With the charge, the big reward is getting the ball. I count them as steals for my players. Were you talking about shooting two or just when the team is in the bonus?

As far as rules changes, there aren't many that need changed. The ones we have just need to be enforced. Some that used to be that aren't now are:

reaching in

traveling, by cupping the ball

traveling, "bronco hop", this move into the lane is an obvious charge and is seldom called

These are just a few for now, I'm sure I'll be back after the next game I see. ;)

i agree with you and then some on the first two:

reaching in

traveling, by cupping the ball

since when was reaching in legalized? it is something lazy players who cant play defense do, and i wish they would call it every time. what especially gripes me is the sloppy defender who lets the offensive player go by, and then reaches around from behind and slaps at the ball. for that they shouldnt just get a foul, they ought to stop the game and make them and their coach both run.

carrying )cupping) the ball. i dont think i want to see them go back to the strict interpretation of my youth, it did limit a players ability to handle the ball, but there is a big difference between a good ball handler and the ones who just carry the ball all the time. there are getting to be more and more of the latter. it should be called.

the bronco hop- i think i know what you are talking about, is it sort of a jump stop with a two footed hop on the end? i dont care for it, but i'd rather see them crack down on the extra step before the dribble. who cant make a good move when they can make their first cut before putting the ball on the floor.

and i will add that i would like to see fouls called even after the tournaments start. some officials think thats the time to just let everything go, i suppose they dont want to effect the game. we already have wrestling and football as separate sports. it wouldnt hurt the game a bit to keep those out of basketball. if a team comes in and their whole strategy is to commit so many fouls that no official would dare call them all, i'd like to find out just how deep on the bench they would reach before they tried playing basketball.

i would like to see the coaching box extended to the end of the bench. i was t'd up last yr for getting out of the box and i was just coaching and not bad mouthing the officials. i realize that some coaches might take advantage of this by bringing up some questionable calls and the officials wouldnt have to come by the bench every now and then to remind us to get in the box and they can do what they are paid to do, which is call the game.

also, i hate the charging call when a player sets up under the basket. we need a line in the lane and if your in it, it takes away the question of charge or block. i would think it would make it a little simpler for the officials.

I personally am not a fan of the rule that a player must wait until the ball hits the rim before he can start to box out. I feel that the offensive team already has an advantage by shooting free throws, why then can he have another advantage from not getting boxed out...what happens is that the defender is under the basket, and when the ball hits the rim, it is over his head by the time he tries to box-out. I think as soon as the ball is released, the players should be able to acheive position from a box-out to get a rebound...

I would like to see the free throw rebound rule changed. I would also love to see the NBA charging circle placed under the goal. There are way to many charges that are called when the defensive player is way up under the goal. This would also help the officials when it is a close call - if the defensive player is inside the circle - it would always be a block.