Cookeville -CAVS

disgustedfan

Well I played baseball for the CAVS during the mid-80s. Had a wonderful experience and went on to play some college baseball. Was away from Cookeville for a few years looking for my fortune. Came back about 8 years ago and found the fortune I was looking for in a beautiful wife and a great community to raise a family. My heart has always been a CAV so I take great interest in the programs of baseball and football. From what I see good days are ahead for both programs.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's about time...The bats finally came around for the Cavs. In the five games this weekend they scored 7,6,12,11,and 8 runs and went 4 and 1 in the tourney finishing 3rd and winning 3 straight for the first time this season. In the first game against a team from Illinois they took advantage of some errors and some timely hits to come away with the win 7-5. Wade Bilbrey almost blew the win when he walked 4 in the 5th with a 5-0 lead but was saved by the good closing job of Drew Edgington. In the second game against White House sophomores Wes Griggs and Evan Dyer toed the slab in a good all around performance by both but was to no avail as White House was just too much offensively and won 9-6 with a Cav last inning rally comming just short. In a night game against Upperman the Cavs threw their ace Michael Alcorn who except for the 2nd inning where he gave up 4 runs was dominate and almost unhitable as the Cavs rolled 12-4. This game really awoke the sleeping bats of the Cavaliers. Jay Sandlin, Adam and Brian Militana, and Tyler Turner as they did the whole tournament really raked in this game. This afternoon against Davidson Academy it continued. Adam went 3 for 3 with 3 doubles including one 2 feet from the top of the center field wall and Morgan Toline and Tyler Turner had some big hits as well. Robbie Adams also pitched a wonderful game for his first win as he shut down an offense that had been killing the ball the whole tournament and saw the Cavs swing the sticks behind him and they won 11-1. In the third place game against Franklin County Barritt Steakley went the full 7 only gave up a few hits and some walks and won 8-2. Morgan Toline again had a good game as it was his speed this time that made some noise. Tyler Turner and Lee Williams had solid performances and 2 RBI apiece if I remember correctly. The Cavs are back in action for a big district matchup with Blackman on Tuesday down there and Wendesday in Cookeville.

[Edited by dog11 on 4-19-03 9:42P]

Too bad Drew has to sit out. He is a great pitcher. Sitting out will probably hurt his chances of a college scholarship. He is great and deserves to play in college. Hopefully he will walk on somewhere and maybe redshirt and get his arm back healthy and then throw some smoke!!! Who knows, he may still get a scholarship anyways!!!

Ofcourse I remember Michael Green. Thanks for the interest man. How are things going for you now a days? Are you still playing baseball or sticking to basketball? I still havent seen any other basketball player break an entire team's press like you did back in our AAU days. Are you going to play in college? I'll get back to you later on man, thanks again for the interest.

Hey man, I played basketball for four years and this will be my fourth year in baseball. A few small schools showed some interest in basketball, but baseball's what I wanna play. I'm gonna try to play baseball for Roane State because my cousin's down there playing. Baseball up here in Clarkrange is not doing so well. Anyway, are you going anywhere to play? How's your season going?

Guest skully

yea playing that many games together didn't do anything to boost the program. You must be either all knowing or your kid didn't play too much. Sounds like there are deeper wounds to your ego than you really want to get into on here. Coach kennedy did everything but sell his soul to boost and promote the program there. The best he got from it was a pink slip and a pat on the back saying don't worry about your job, it'll be alright. I doubt very seriously there is a team anywhere in the state that worked as hard as his team did last year. And from what it looks like people there don't recognize a good thing when they see it. Good luck to Coach Hunt and watch out for the head hunters in the crowd.....It's easy to throw stones at somebody when things aren't going your way and the crowd there never seems to have it their way.

Guest skully

tell your administration to do something to try to keep a coach instead of pushing them out the door to find someone they can control like a pawn. The daddy-wall and no-one else was complaining last year when cookeville posted such a good record. The only reward that came from such a good record last year was a new coach. Sounds like more of a push should have come to keep the last one.