Cookeville -CAVS

disgustedfan

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cookeville has always had loads of talent, but parental intervention and small town politics have keep them from succeeding. Unfortunately the same will undoubtedly continue to happen. Keep the fans in the stands, off the phones, and out of the teams business and they might have a chance.Let the coach do his job and get behind him, not on him. No telling how good they could be!

I have heard this story from 2 former coaches, well make that 3. They have some decent talent, but certainly not what Oakland has had or Riverdale (the past couple of years) has had either. They should be competitive, but what i really want to know is is this really why Coach Kennedy left?????

We all know that politics are going to be a part of most jobs. There are alot of coaches who have been victims of these situations, but we also know that it will always be a problem. The problem is with baseball itself. In no other sport (in my opinion) are there as many "dads" who think they know the game because they have had success in the summer or travel leagues. They feel b/c they won games with their all-star teams and their sons Babe Ruth batting titles entitles them to input at the school level. The bottom line is the school adminstration. If the administartion is looking for a coach who will work hard, treat players the right way, play by the rules, and be competitive- then most schools I see are in great shape. However, if money and the good ole boy network is a factor, then a lot situations will never get better. As for Cookeville and Kennedy, I do not know why he left. I really believe he liked it here, but simply had a better financial situation in South Georgia. Probably pretty good talent too! I know this from my few months here - the most popular topic of discussion around here seems to be why things do not or have not worked. There is constant reminders of the coaching changes and why things will never work here. Personally, I will not worry about it.... I love coaching baseball and I am thankful for this opportunity. If the past rears it's ugly head again, there is absolutely nothing I can do about that. But what about the positives? Cookeville has always had the players, and we will continue. We have nice facilities, and money is not a problem. The players here are probably the best kids that I have ever coached. I like the administration and school. This town seems to be a baseball town, and it seems like a great place to live and raise a family. I hope I get that opportunity.

Here is to everyone who wants to know why Coach Kennedy left. Last summer as soon as I heard the rumor of Kennedy leaving I went to him and confronted him about the present situation. He told me straight up. He said that the money down there was going to be at least twice as much as he made here. He described the school for me also. It had three different practice fields and a playing field. They also had their own grounds crew. He was going to get to have six assistant coaches. The school is also the only high school in a county of about 60,000. It is also something like five minutes from the beach. Sounds like a retirement job. However, he also expressed feelings about progressing in the coaching ranks and to one day make it to the big time. He felt that comming to Cookeville and putting up a great year with a struggling program was the first step towards his goal. After the season he got a call from the school in Georgia and they just offered him too much to resist. He felt like this was his next step. I asked him who our coach was going to be and he said that he got to recomend three people for the job and those would be the main ones considered. I'm not sure if Coach Hunt was one of them or not. Mr. Shanks won't disclose that. But Coach Hunt brings many of the same priciples and approaches to the game that Kennedy did, so the transition in learning the game has not changed that much. Personally I think Coach Hunt promises to be someone who will stay through thick and thin and if he is true to his word will stay the course no matter what stands in the way. Hopefully he will lead us to a great season.

Well that is what i thought, that he left because of the financial and overall package, but it never hurts to ask in light of the situation...I can tell you that Coach Hunt is a WINNER!!! I hope he is treated fairly and as he stated, it is up to the administration, the principal is the man and if he does his job and the coach does his job then there will be no problems. I hope the money isn't tied to the good ole boy network because if it is...well I know that my man will do well and I certainly hope he brings some stability to the situation. Good Luck to the Cavs and Coach Hunt and his assistants.

Of course, I really am not real clear of what our guys will do on the field, especially against this strong district of ours. I do feel Coach Stites is doing a good job getting the pitchers ready, and we do have some arms to work with. Coach Douglas and Coach Tubbs will work to improve the defense and situational hitting. Coach Spurlock is an outstanding young coach who will develop our Freshmen team. I know from last year's team that we must improve defensively foremost. I feel the lineup will be solid, and i think our Sophmore class adds quality depth. For now, we are like everybody else - just hoping to get outside!

Of course, I really am not real clear of what our guys will do on the field, especially against this strong district of ours. I do feel Coach Stites is doing a good job getting the pitchers ready, and we do have some arms to work with. Coach Douglas and Coach Tubbs will work to improve the defense and situational hitting. Coach Spurlock is an outstanding young coach who will develop our Freshmen team. I know from last year's team that we must improve defensively foremost. I feel the lineup will be solid, and i think our Sophmore class adds quality depth. For now, we are like everybody else - just hoping to get outside!