Cookeville -CAVS

disgustedfan

good to see all the usual cookeville posts on here. Maybe if there was as much time spent working as there is spent on various changing opinions the teams might be better. I love reading how even the players loyalty sways with the shift of the wind. Last year everyone was signing the praises of a coach who worked them "harder than they've ever worked before" and now half love the new coach and half hate him. There are to many cooks in the kitchen in that place and from the way it sounds too many excuses to count as to why it never gets done there. THe coaching staff can't even agree from the way it sounds. I'll keep reading these posts, they are by far the funniest on here. Good luck!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Big, I agree with you tha things look ridiculous. I myself wanted to give my opinion on here after hearing so many things from people who are supporters of Cookeville athletics. I do not mean any personal offense to the coaches, but I do not like the new coach here. I will support him, but I can have an opinion. We just want Cookeville baseball to be the best that it can be. I just do not think we were as good as we should have been, I think the coaching plays the biggest part of that. I see schools our size like Oaklnad, Mt. Juliet, Riverdale,Tullahoma, Lavergne who have great teams, and I think we should be too. I thought we were headed in that direction with Kennedy last year.

Who are you? Either you are a player that didnt get to play this year or some one who just has it out for the coach. You have got to be one of the players that got a chance to play and didnt show the coaches what you could do. I didnt get to go to many games but what I have heard is that the coach gave the seniors and jrs the chance to play to show them what they got and the didnt perform and some of the younger guys did and I would like to know who you think should have got the awards and this is why everyone thinks are team is a big joke and laugh at are post because people like you get on here and put down the coach because he has affended you in some way, maybe if he had been here longer and you had a reason to put him down, just because you either rode th bench or just didnt like doesnt mean you can say that you dont like the coach, you probably didnt give him a chance. Maybe there was some one who was better than you playing if you were on the team but , if your not than I dont know what you conplanning about.

Disquested Fan,

Since you are a alumni from the Cookeville Baseball program, I want to throw somes things your way to see what you think. I know you have praised Hunt in some of your previous threads, and that is all good, but unsure of what all your praise is based on. ( seems it is only on what you view from behind the fence and not inside of it, ) Couple of things for you as a previous player to think about. First being, Hunts reason for coming to a new program and electing to go away from then tradational english C, and going with the Cincinnati logo and etc.... This was not discussed with the returning players, just by his coaching staff. I being a returning player would like to stick with tradition, or atleast be in on the decision. The baseball program being the only athletic program in the school not following along doesn't set good with many people within the program, not the mention many business people in the community.

On the awards being given out, I can't say the deserving players were not awarded properly, atleast in the Varsity team anyway,(if based on stats, how can a pitcher go undefeated and not get awarded) but how can Coach Hunt not recognize the players that are deserving of getting Letters for baseball, His comment to the crowd was, quote, Since we don't know who has lettered in the past and who has not, we are going to wait to present letters. (that is bullshi??????) Who cares who has lettered in the past and who hasn't, those players that were deserving needs to be recognized in front of their piers and most important their parents. (Especiall the SENIOIRS) There hasn't been anything mentioned since, and most likely if he follows suit with all the other things he said he would do and never did, this will not be brought back up either. (unless parents do it for us) I don't ever recall him mentioning to any of the players what his requirements were to receive letter honors, so again, I think his lack of preparation is what this resulted from.

Cavs 35, I know you have sucked up to him all yr, and that is fine, but if you could have heard how he put you seniors down to all the returning players in summer basaball meetings, you might have a different feeling. (you guys had no heart, you were losers, and etc....) Is this proper conduct and character that a coach should have?? I don't think I want him as my roll model. It is hard to respect a man who will not back up what he says, and talks bad about players to other players. But good luck to you in college, I hope you have a great experiece.

Concerning the Cookeville "C" being changed to the Cincinnatti "C". I like you was disappointed that that happen. But at the same time a letter on the cap does not make a good team or a bad coach. Tradition is important and I would have rather seen it remain the same-but like in business things change.

As far as the awards ceremony, I am unsure what was said because I wasn't there-but if what you say is true it does seem to me that proper organization and research did not take place. And that needs to improve for sure.

Now to the seniors-I appreciate those guys and parents hanging in there through some turbelent times at Cookeville. Three of those four years were not Coach Hunts doings. But there has become at Cookeville the thinking that there is some special exemption for seniors. Seniors should not expect any preferred treatment because they are seniors. In fact they should expect more responsibility because of what they know and their experience. I watched 12 games this year and some of the seniors did not play with the intensity as the younger boys. It was as if they knew they were going to play regardless of what they did. That should never be rewarded. Several of the seniors were more concerned about their lady friends in the stands than what was going on on the field.

On the contrary in watching the football team last season-the seniors led in intensity, commitment, and hustle-which brought a regional championship to Cookeville.

The lack of wins was not caused by coaching, of course there were some plays at the plate that personally I would not have sent the runners home-but I would rather see him be aggressive than conservative. The lack of wins was due to some seniors not stepping up. Did they have the talent, I believe they did-did they want it? I don't believe they did until tourney time. And then it was too late.

It's easy to blame a coach but the buck stops with the players who have been in the system for 4 years. In high school and college-we who played as seniors didn't demand respect, we earned respect by our play on the field.

Now concerning comments being made to summer players-be careful there and make sure your comments are true-because slanderous comments as you are making could cause you much trouble if they cannot be backed up with eveidence and facts. I only hope that what you say about Coach Hunt saying those things is not true. But I am not there on the field or in those huddles so I cannot testify to their validity.

Regardless the 2003 season is over, the banquet is over, the seniors have graduated and I wish them the best in the future endeavours. I hope some of them move onto the next level and play some college ball. I believe a few of them could if they worked hard. If you were a player and a senior my advice to you is what I am trying to do as a CAV alumni- remember the good, forget the hurts and support the program for the future.

Very professional in your comments, but I will promise you that I am not making up statements and the comments that were made are very true, and have even taken place with an assistant coach as comments made to his younger team after a lose, they were acting like the HS Cavaliers team. (make you question their passion to this organization)

I do agree that respect is earned on the field, but because you make a mistake, error, that doesn't mean you pull the player out of the game in the middle of a inning, (which also happened this yr). If you are playing in fear of being embarrassed in front of many, it is hard to be a leader , whether you are a senior or not. There were many instances of this man not knowing how to deal with HS kids with respect to them, so as you know, it is also hard for us to show respect to him. I feel that noone likes to badger the coach or coaching staff all the time, but I wish that some of the ones that are only seeing the things from the outside of the fence, had a chance to experience what the players are having to deal with, and still try to be focused while playing.

You stated that the seniors were not his doing. I don't understand that as he was the one that elected to keep them, or any other players that were chosen to stay. That is his doing, and what he kept after going thru fall BB is what he needed to focus on and make us better. There is always the arguement, I wish I had a better SS or 2nd basemen or etc.... but you don't, so you have to make the players better that you have. This coach is not a teacher of the game, and I have always believed that a good teacher will make a GREAT coach. There are several dads on the team that could call pitches and make signs to hit and run or steal or etc... but teaching the game in practice is what seperates Good from Failure.

There is alway Hope, just keep hoping things will change.

Your comments are well thought out and sincere. I appreciate your candor and honesty. I as a Cav alumni am sorry that your year was not as fulfilling as it could have been. At the same time everyone this year both coaches, players and parents were placed in a difficult and really no win situation. Hopefully the future will prove to be more stable and prosperous for both players and the Cav program. As one error does not a bad player make, neither does one difficult season determines a coaches effectiveness.

Good luck to you in the years to come.