Cookeville -CAVS

disgustedfan

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavs,

Congratulations in playing your heart out in Murfreesboro. I dropped in on the game last night and you guys played great. You played well enough to win but didn't get the breaks. The seniors really stepped up and played like many of us have expected them to play all year. I wish they would have played that way at the beginning of the year, and the record would have been much different. It looked as if everybody just started clicking here at the end. Militana smashed that off speed pitch from their left handed ace- that ball went a long way. It's a credit to Coach Hunt and his staff in turning things around at the end. He could have lost confidence, faith and integrity in assuming a no win situation, but he kept showing up and doing the right things- and now the Murfreesboro teams know that Cookeville will compete. The two sophmores Toline and Turner played great. I know the last pitch was a mix up on Turner and it got away from him-that will be remembered. But the play he made two batters earlier in which he came out quickly on the bunt and threw out the runner even though he was off balance was an excellent play and would have been remarkable at any level. I know I have seen the same play blown on the college level. The future is bright for those two young men if they will keep working. The three juniors-Adams/Maddox/and Alcorn played great games as well. With those five underclassmen returning next year-wow the CAVS could have some fun days ahead. You guys made me proud to be a CAV alumni last night.

• 2 weeks later...

There weren't all that many given out. For the freshmen team...Brian Philpot got pitcher of the year...Gary Lamb got defensive player of the year...and Brandon Crossman got offensive and player of the year...For the varsity...Michael Alcorn and Brady Adams got first team all-district as well as Michael getting pitcher of the year and Brady getting defensive player of the year...Tyler Turner got Rookie of the year...and Adam Militana got offensive player of the year.

Let me give a different point of view from that of Mr. Disgusted Fan. You should be disgusted at what you saw this year from Cookeville Basbeall. Sure, the nice comments about Hunt and his staff are great. He is a nice man, but he is certainly no coach. My hope is that Mr. Shanks hired this guy to fill a quick need for a coach because the school year was approaching. The move proved to be a disaster. I know there are others who feel as I do. WE should have won 22-25 games this year with the talent coming back. It was obvious the players did not like Hunt and the staff's way of "doing things". Ask any player what they really think, and you will see. I am not just talking about the seniors who are leaving, but all of those returning. I know those football players were happy to get the season over, and know what type of coach is needed. No offense, but the guy is not a coach. He got here because our school was desperate and because his daddy is a college coach. So, there you have it - I am not afraid to say what is really out there.

As far as the banquet, the awards were not as they should have been. That is all I will say.

As far as the banquet is concerned can you tell me how the awards should have been distributed? I wasn't there so I am just going by hearsay-but I heard and I could have heard wrong-that the awards were given out according to stats. Did not Adams and Alcorn make the all district team and they received two awards. Didn't Militana have the highest batting average and he received the offensive player award. Didn't the young kid Turner hit in the 290's as a sophmore(according to eteamz stats) and play many games as a sophmore and he won the young player award. What other awards should have been given?

As far as winning more games- when your all district pitcher is a junior and no seniors make the all district team how can you say you should of had an almost 500% season.

Sounds as if the talent returning didn't step up and do what should have been done. In defense of a coach I haven't met-let me say that when you get to be a senior you should have learned the basics of baseball. According to eteamz stats the two middle infielders made over 20 errors between them both and they were seniors-is that coaching? It could have been coaching, maybe he should have put some of the younger guys in those spots, but then the fire would have fallen from some parents.

I appreciate a coach who is willing to leave their family and sacrifice for our Cookeville kids.

Yes Coach is young but he is here and didn't fly off to GA for more money. I'll ride the horse who is in the stable, not dream of those who have run away.

Excellent post disgustedfan!!! I hope that your support for the program will be there in years to come. Your the type of fan that we need. One that doesnt just see a winning record and who is only happy when the team wins. The future teams will be fun to watch with the talent and more important love of the game that the younger players have. Thank you for your loyal support and for seeing the truth in Coach Hunt.