Does this seem right?

CoachGonyeaSHS

Take a look at region IV's regional tournament brackets and then ponder this:

Not to complain or anything, but does TSSAA not see that things are a little lopsided here? Looking at these brackets, it seems that some wrestlers in this region are heading to state without wrestling a single match.

If TSSAA were to look at region V, we have to run a FULL 16 man bracket and pigtail several wrestlers into the tournament.

If we only had an 8 man bracket, I believe I probably could send all 14 of my guys to state. Which would give me more chances to score at the state tournament.

Maybe I'm whining, but something just seems wrong here.

Coach Gonyea

SHS Wrestling

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Down in Region 4, they wrestle full double elimination, so a bracket would have to have just five wrestlers for a man to go through without a win. (That said, a five-man class probably ought to be round robin.) But considering the power level in the Chattanooga regions, there's something to be said for the current setup also. I'm working on a plan (as part of my Grand Solution :o to the public/private mess) in which there would be 12 fixed regions (actually only 10 for wrestling, since no schools in my Region X and only Millington in Region XI have the sport at all), with state qualifiers in wrestling and tennis apportioned to each by something very similar to the formul˜ used for NCAA wrestling.

there are no brackets in region IV where you don't have to win to get to state. none.

also, if a weak wrestler were to make it to state they would have no chance of scoring any points - unless, of course, you are saying that other divisions are filling state with even weaker wrestlers that finish higher than 4th!

i heard someone mention the possibility of each region just sending 3 to state, and then have a 24 man bracket. the region winners would have a bye the first round. would that weed out the "weak" wrestlers?

i personally like the 32 man bracket and would argue for full wrestle backs, to mitigate the effect of the lack of real seeding.

tim

If this doesn't seem right -

Would you rather have sectionals and send the finalists to an eight man bracket championship placing 8?

Region 3 has Boyd Buchanon and Tyner Academy in with Bradley

and Cleveland. Even though it doesn't seem right, wrestlers from those single A schools at least have an opportunity to place in the top four and be part of the state championships.

It doesn't seem right not to have Cleveland in the state duals either, but Al and his guys get another opportunity to make statements the next two weekends.

[Edited by dblXface on 2-5-03 11:46A]

Okay, I concede, I might have overstated that a wrestler might not have to even wrestle to make it to state. But take a look at several of the brackets, there are only 6 wrestlers in them. Therefore, take for example the 103 pound weight class. If the #1 seed wins his first match, which by the way is after a bye in the first round, then HE will go to state....

I know this region has several state champions. However, does that justify making regions like V have to go through a 16 man bracket with 6 pigtails to make it to state?

Keep in mind, I am relatively new to TN wrestling. What I am looking at is the fact that Middle TN is trying to improve and get competitive with Chattanooga teams. Yet when the big picture is looked at, it seems that Chattanooga teams do get a slight edge on other teams in the state.

This is not a cop out, we will continue to work on getting better in Middle TN in spite of the current situation. It's just that this would seem painfully obvious to TSSAA.

Keep this in mind also, If I only have 8 teams in my region, I can wrestle them all in two dates, which opens the door on my dates to go out and wrestle other quality teams in the state or out of it. However, with 22 teams in our region it takes a few more dates than 2 to get them all in. Which in turn limits our ability to wrestle other teams outside our region or state.

I am open to suggestions...we just want to get better.

I am from Chattanooga and i see what you are saying in a way, that we have more of an opportunity to send more guys to the state tournament because of the lack of schools. However, the competition in the Chattanooga regions are so touugh it is hard for the non-elite programs to send just 3 or 4 guys. In one region you have Bradley, Cleveland, and Cookeville, all very good programs, and in most weights the other schools like Rhea County, Cumberland County, Central, etc. are all competing for that one spot that is left and those 3 teams aren't bad. The other Chattanooga region has East Ridge, Soddy Daisy, and Hixson and the same thing is going on with the other schools competing for just one spot. From just looking at the amount of kids in larger regions compared to the 4 spots that can go it seems unfair but if you throw the 5-8 guys from the larger regions against a 4 from here they are gonna get killed in most cases. The system is as fair as you could make it.