Perhaps some rural publics will now understand...

RealGoEagles

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The overall relevance is one.

Let's say I made the comment, "Some ABC private school students were involved in an auto accident where open containers of alcohol and empty whipped cream cans were found that contributed to the accident...."

And I said, "this is why I would never allow my child to go to a private school because drugs are running rampant. There is no point in wasting all that money in putting my child in a school where drugs are used so abundantly."

Doesn't that really sound irrelevant to athletics not to mention just a little dumb (stereotyping)?

What`s the point with the whipped cream cans? That`s a new one on me.

I don`t think RealGoEagles was stereotyping. He simply stated things that he had encountered at public school. This is a valid reason to change venues. People make individual changes based on both real and percieved things. The events that he described were real. That doesn`t mean it couldn`t happen at BA, but undoubtedly the environment was better there.

A person can get high from what they call "huffing" the gases used to propel the whipped cream. It was a new one on me until I heard about it from this accident. (It was a true story, but I left the name of the private school out of it.)

I did not say what Real was saying wasn't true. I still do not see much relevance.

To me it does not matter how or why a student goes to a private school (unless of course they are athletes and they do get there illegally) of which does happen from time to time in private schools and public schools.

I've been following this public/private thing for a while. There are the biggest bunch of hypocrits I've ever read on this thread and the rest on this whole board.

Not one of you will state the real reason you send your kids to private schools! All I read is about the academics of MBA, etc. What a joke and a smoke screen! MBA's been around for over 100 years.

Then, somebody talks about crackheads, etc. C'mon out and say it! Tell everybody the real reason.

i went to MBA because it is the best school in the city. i will send my kids to MBA or Harpeth Hall, because they are the best schools in the city. drugs and alcohol are everywhere; saying that you dont want your kids to go to a school because of drugs or alcohol is a cop out. it its the parents responsibility to teach their kids to make good decisions, but also to make their own decisions. my parents let me have my freedom as long as they thought that i could handle it and understood the consequences of my actions. my parents gave me an opportunity to have the best education possible, and i cant thank them enough. i may fall into a stereotype of being a rich, snobby momma's boy. i honestly dont care. if that makes me a hypocrite , so be it.

[Edited by bigred11 on 2-10-03 3:17P]

Posted by cw160:

I've been following this public/private thing for a while. There are the biggest bunch of hypocrits I've ever read on this thread and the rest on this whole board.

Not one of you will state the real reason you send your kids to private schools! All I read is about the academics of MBA, etc. What a joke and a smoke screen! MBA's been around for over 100 years.

Then, somebody talks about crackheads, etc. C'mon out and say it! Tell everybody the real reason.

Let`s hear your misguided preconceived notions on why kids go to private schools. :x

If we write stuff that we believe to be true then we are not hypocrites. This board has many different views on many different issues of the public private debate, it is a forum to express those views whether we agree or disagree.

I sent my kids to a Private School partially because of academics and mainly because I did not want to take the risk of sending them to a Metro Nasvhille Public School. I may be totally wrong in my concern, but I honestly did what I did with the best interest of my kids at heart based upon my personal assesment. Athletics was not even part of the equation.

Posted by cw160:

You proved my original point. You said:

drugs and alcohol are everywhere; saying that you dont want your kids to go to a school because of drugs or alcohol is a cop out.

This thread started by a private backer..read the post.

Yes drugs are at all schools public, private. Taking a gun into a gym or school has been done in both public and private schools, but not all.

If real eagles or whoever thinks that his kid's private school is not subject for a student to take in a gun, he or she is sadly mistaken. Less likely, maybe than some public schools - less likely than ALL public schools is subject for debate.

Like I said the original post has no real relevance to this board or website.

And yes, like someone else tried to say, I think a lot of private backers are trying to mask the real issues (recruiting athletes, open zones) with social issues.

Yes I know there are some public schools with open zones and recruits and they need to be dealt with as well.

Then, somebody talks about crackheads, etc. C'mon out and say it! Tell everybody the real reason

my parents sent me to mba in order to give me what they thought was the best opportunity to succeed. strong academics, strong athletics, conservative background, oppurtunities for music, theatre, debate, etc. i don't see anything hypocritical about that. as far as crackheads go, who would you rather your kids be around, a crackhead or an honor student. it doesn't seem like a very difficult choice to me. as bigred11 said, drugs and alcohol are everywhere. i knew a lot of people at private schools who drank and did drugs, and likewise, i also know a lot of people at public schools who drank and did drugs. teenage kids are gonna do what teenage kids are gonna do, be it drinking, sex, drugs, etc. some private schools have stronger consequences for doing some of those things than do public schools, but then again, some don't. i really don't see your point.

as far as recruiting being masked goes...please, that is ridiculus. at least 95% of my state championship football team came to mba in the seventh grade. it might just be me, but the best athlete in 7th grade doesn't necessarily become the best athlete in high school. (as was the case with our best fullback/linebacker, who quit playing sports entirely once everyone else caught up to him) second of all, i'd also say 95% of those kids came from private elementary schools, parochial schools, or magnet schools. thirdly, most high schools are that concerned with their football teams. mba has had some great ones recently, and besides a trophy, they really don't benefit that much from winning. it's not like college, where they get some huge check. they get a trophy, and that's about it.

[Edited by Redtwin on 2-10-03 3:45P]

i think that this thread was started to state that private schools are safer than public schools. a point that i completely disagree with. private schools are just as dangerous as publics, but it seems that incidents like the one at hillsboro are all to often associated with urban public schools. it could have just as easily happened at a game between mba and ba. sadly, there is no way, short of making high school athletic events like a prison visitation, to ensure that a gun can't be brought into a gym or stadium.

CSense...no one here is saying that things that happen at a public school don`t happen at a private school. The original post made reference to a gun being brought into a basketball and being accidentally discharged. If you HAD to choose which game do you think you`d more likely find a gun or drugs?

Pearl Cohn vs.Hillsboro

or

Christ Presbyterian Academy vs. Donelson Christian