four-time state champs

mtnman

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott Wells did not win any titles in PA. In fact, I don't believe he ever placed (maybe a fifth, actually) although he did qualify once. (If anyone is positive please correct me.) Also he did win 3 cadet national titles (2 FS, 1GR), and one 3rd place (FS).

I have heard that Simpson tried to wrestle Keller to no avail. Anyway, they are both excellent, excellent wrestlers, but neither was the national presence of Scott Wells. Not even close, really, although Simpson was a HS national runner-up and Keller finished 3rd.

Wells was trained in the PA elite youth programs and had the talent to compete at the highest (i.e. Olympic) level.

I hope Simpson places this year and that Keller has a successful career at Nebraska.

Guest henryaardvark

Empro, you are correct. Scott Wells did not win any state high school titles in PA. There are many sites listing previous champs. I can't verify whether he ever qualified or placed.

As far as I know, Scott wrestled in the Junior Olympics program that covers the western 2/3 of PA. The AAU has control over eastern PA. The Junior Olympics program sponsors state championships in 3 age groups; 10 and under, 11-12, and 13-14. From the www.pajw.org website I found Scott won the Junior Olympics title in 1994 11-12 unlimited, 1995 13-14 unlimited, and 1996 13-14 unlimited. The Junior Olympics wrestling program is open to all kids. Most PA high schools that wrestle have an elementary school program that eventually feeds the high school. Kids in these programs go to open tournaments every Saturday from the end of November until March. There are usually 2-3 tournaments held every weekend. If a wrestler goes every weekend he can get 70-80 matches a year.

Many kids start as young as 5-6 years old. Few kids in PA start after they enter middle school. I remember that our local high school had a junior program with 50 kids. This was not uncommon.

The Junior Olympics program in PA has between 5,000-10,000 kids enrolled. I believe that they crown 40+ champs at their state tournament. So this equates to an average of 125-250 kids in each weight class.

Let's put Scott's three Junior Olympic titles in perspective. The PA state record is 7 titles held by 2 wrestlers I believe. One of those wrestlers is Cary Kolat, a current US Olympian. I'm pretty well-versed on this stuff, because my son wrestled in this program against the other 7-time junior champ.