TN hoops-down

bigchief

Okay, whoopty doo, should've, could've ect, didn't happen though. I'm saying, there has yet to be a Memphis AAU team, or TN AAU team for that matter, since maybe Memphis Idlewild from like 94-96 dominate on a national level and the Ohio NIKE tourney is one of their smaller ones and part of that reason is b/c of lack of big men.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be mistaken here, but I think that Jason Holwerda was telling me that during the summer before his senior year the Tennessee Travelers team that he played on with Harrison and Moore and a bunch of other good players got like 4th or 2nd in the Peach Jam that year. They showed a clip from this tournament on Countdown to Signing Day where 6'5" Holwerda actually had a putback dunk OVER Kwame Brown and that Diopp guy. One of the most amazing things I've seen.

I agree with gomab and TJ; 2003 is a down year for TN basketball. However, the future is bright.

For example, in 2001, the SINGLE A state tourney was littered with D 1 players from South Fulton, Ezell, and Chatt Christian; AA and AAA had their usual complement of outstanding players.

This year, Memphis will dominate the AA and AAA tourneys once again with Memphis Mitchell making a real run in A ball. Adamsville is a potential state tourney title contender based on their perfomances against very athletic Ripley and Fayette-Ware teams.

Predictions

A ball champ: Adamsville or Memphis Mitchell

AA champ: Ridgeway

AAA champ: White Station OR Fairley OR Memphis East or whoever survives that region

DII: Let them eat cake.

Good post Kareem....

The Nike Ohio tourney is not even one of the Two biggest Tournaments on that Particular WEEKEND, more or less all summer..... That being said, the Stars will be pretty good this year, but watch out for both YOMCA and maybe even upstart Memphis Elite in 15's, to go along with the other regular cast of characters.....

You are absolutely right. This team of Holwerda (Vanderbilt), Harrison(Colorado), Moore (Vanderbilt) Glenn Eddy (Colorado) Kris Wilson(Bowling Green), Brad Seal(Lincoln Memorial), Dominic Martin(Princeton), Charles Anderson (MTSU) Seville Evans (unknown) and a few that I can't recall were very good. This group went 30-2 as 15 year olds. Losing only to team California on a last second bucket by Tyson Chandler. They were also in the running in every tournament as 16's and 17's. There was also a kid named Michael Collins who signed with Tennessee to play football and a kid from Florida who had a brother that was All-American at South Florida. This was one of Tennessee's all-time great traveling teams. Coach Benson said that they were better than the group that included Ron Mercer.

Bellevue doesn't have a 15's team... They just go up through Middle School ages....

YOMCA will try to pick up the 10 best in Memphis... But Memphis Elite, which is starting this year, is the only Memphis team to have the resources to compete with the Y for recruits.....

Only time will tell who each team has, but I'd have to be logical and predict YOMCA with a State Championship in 15's.....

Also, I doubt Brandon Wright will be with the Stars this year... He is too talented to play 'local' 15's.... My money is on him with the Travelers, probably playing with an older age group....