Coach of the Year?

PUMMELKING

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, for those of you that don't know......

Most improved is a title given to those that truly stunk to begin with. I don't think it applies to Franklin and SURE don't think it applies to Cookeville.

Yes, Sly, we get your point. Logsdon is an amazing coach and deserves every accolade he gets. but I guarantee you that he himself would vote for somebody DIFFERENT other than himself EVERY SINGLE YEAR!!!

Guest BigFatFan

You don't give the daytona 400 to the second place winner because the frist place winner won it last year. Sould Logston slack off next year just so someone else could get it? I thought it was all about competition and winning!

HBK19, No you didn't get my point. First of all I do think Coach Logsdon is coach of the year but I also think there are 4 or 5 other coaches that could be considered as well....Henry/Soddy, Miller/Cleveland, Price/Sci.Hill, Cook/Cookeville and yes Hill/Franklin. I think coach of the year means for THIS year and what has happened in the PAST should have nothing to do with it for this year. As far as your definition of Most Improved goes, I don't know where you're from but most improved doesn't have to mean that someone "stunk" as you put it. It may mean they did a pretty good job in the past but then worked hard and did a great job this year. I'm not going to argue with you because this is suppose to be for fun and because we all have our opinions on who and why someone should be named Coach of the Year, but I wanted to set you straight that I wasn't slamming Coach Hill I was only suggesting a way he could be recognized for the good job he did this year. You are right about one thing, I know Coach Logsdon and he would vote for somebody DIFFERENT other than himself, but like I said there are 4 or 5 other coaches he could choose from it might not be Hill. Also, you assume for some reason that the Coach of the Year last year was Logsdon, but what about Steve Henry? Henry's team beat Bradley at the Duals last year so maybe he was last years Coach of the Year? How many years does Logsdon have to wait before we can consider him again for Coach of the Year? I think he'd rather have state championships anyway....LOL

ok. that's one way to put it, but how about this...

does the National Championship coach in College Football win Coach of the year every year? Likewise with the NFL and MLB (manager of the year).

if you're gonna use the Nascar Analogy, try that one on.

EDIT** by the way, guys...I am in NO way knocking Logsdon or BC....I would think that he deserves it more this year than years past, because he didn't have the Bottom-to-top star Power as before, as well as having to beat a GREAT Cleveland Team just to get out of the Region. But to say he "absolutely HAS to be coach of the year" is being a little pompous.

[Edited by HBK19 on 2-28-03 1:25P]

HBK19, I stand by what I've said and it is my opinion. You're entitled to your own opinion and I don't really care what it is, but why are you so upset with MY choice? Like I said I thought this was supposed to be for fun and really we aren't giving a real award here it was just a topic for conversation or if you rather, an argument. I guess it's all how you want to look at it. By the way if I'm not mistaken, the REAL Coach of the Year award was presented by Ronnie Carter at the State Tournament, and yes, Steve Logsdon did recieve that award. So lighten up a bit.

Guest Linebacker54

Bradley's coach Steve Logsdon....When I work out for football, I'll go and watch the wrestlers practice...It's amazing what he does with them...He gets down and wrestles with them and helps whenever he can...He's just an amazing coach.

Go BEARS!!!

Does the Coach of the Year really have to be the one whose team has won the most matches? Is he the one who is always in the limelight? No, I don't really think so. There are many coaches out there who day in and day out sacrifice for their guys. You know they don't get paid for ALL the time they put into helping these guys. I can think of many times when the coach has gone over and above what one might expect, such as searching for scholarships for his boys. I think that type of living sets a real example, an example of a coach who cares for his guys beyond the wrestling mat. That is a Coach of the year, to me.

[Edited by JustWrestle on 3-1-03 11:26P]

Guest ksweat

coach cook...what can i say? not only was he a great coach, but he has been one of the biggest influences in my life. he, coach dennison, and sfc frazier are honestly my greatest mentors. everything anyone has said about him on the past posts are completely true....coach cook started up a program five seasons ago in a community that wrestling was absolutely unheard of. i watched him recruit kids and put every once of his time into his wrestlers and i know that he would've done it if there was only one kid out there.

and what more can you say than sending ten to state in back to back years...that in itself is a great accomplishment. cookeville does have a feeder program, it's just small, however, it is growing every year.

whenever i go home to cookeville, i make a point to stop by and see coach cook. he was always there to help any of us out with our problems. he helped one of our wrestlers study for a history final for days a few years ago. when my grandmother passed away, coach came and got me and took me to breakfast to get my mind off of things. those are the things that make him a great coach. he helped me train to win two national championships and become an all-american, one of my greatest accomplishments. he would be on the mats with me everyday after he finished his spring football practices and would spend three hours working on one move if i asked him to.

not taking anything away from coach logsdon, i think everyone would agree that he is well-deserving.

but taking coach cook's passion and then factoring in his success, i would find it hard to disagree that he is just as deserving....in my opinion coach cook has lived up to the best of his ability, which is the true definition of success. so if you want to figure the coach of the year by success...i believe he's in the running!

Guest Headtap

very Well said! I think that coach cook has done a tremendous job. Not only on the mat but by what ive heard from his wrestlers off the mat as well. Though his record may not match up with coach Logsdon he does deserve to be thought of for coach of the year! Not taking anything away from Coach Logsdon because everyone knows year in and year out he is in the running. If I had a vote I would give Coach Cook serious thought.

[Edited by Headtap on 3-6-03 10:07A]