Question for students or alums of private schools

TheEgoHasLanded

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

takedown3,

The Catholic Church teaches the dual traits of inspiration and inerrancy. Literal interpretation is not equal to inerrancy.

To quote again from a Catholic Catechism, "Yet, because it is divine as well as human, the Bible achieves the varieties of communication peculiar to each of these forms free from any error regarding that which the divine Author wished to specifically communicate."

[Edited by StanTrott on 2-27-03 7:09A]

Pioneer...remind me tomorrow to send you some books...one is the Baltimore Catechism...the other is called Growing Up Catholic...should answer all your questions...including what nun's wear under their habits!!!

In answer to your questions:

1 and 2. I can't remember what the science deal at St. Mary's Elementary School was, but I do know that at Archbishop Hoban High School...in science classes...we were taught about evolution...in religion classes...we were taught about creationism...

3. I don't really have any theories on dinosaurs...but I do know that the pictures of the bones of that woman...can't think of her name...scared me...big time...

4. My Daddy always said he was older than earth...so...I'm thinking it's about 85 years old...

KCHSCoach...I think all kids should wear dumb uniforms...and show respect to adults...didn't hurt me any...

StanTrott...no matter what I do...I'm thinking I'm going to be in Purgatory...for a good long while...cause people like Pioneer aren't going to be saying any Novenas for meeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Please Stan give me a break.

First of all KCHS is a school, we teach as do 1000s of other Cathoic schools do across this country. And from what I read we do a pretty good job of it at lower cost than most public schools. As for your tone, not all Catholic have the same attitudes towrd certain beliefs as others, believe it or not some are conservative while others liberal. This is a school to prepare kids to go out in the real world and succed. We arm them with knowledge and Faith. Sorry if the picture does not fit your sterotype.

First of all KCHS is a school, we teach as do 1000s of other Cathoic schools do across this country. And from what I read we do a pretty good job of it at lower cost than most public schools. As for your tone, not all Catholic have the same attitudes towrd certain beliefs as others, believe it or not some are conservative while others liberal. This is a school to prepare kids to go out in the real world and succed. We arm them with knowledge and Faith. Sorry if the picture does not fit your sterotype.

Stan, any religious discussion in this forum would probably be considered too cavalier. I don't disagree with any of your statements but would like to point out, again, that K's statements aren't really outside of Catholic doctrine.

1) Creation. The church doesn't have an official position on evolution with the exception that if it did occur, it did so under the guidance of God. This, of course, is the evolution of the human body. The soul is uniquely created by God. The Bible may not teach evolution, but being Catholic does not preclude one from believing in evolution.

The church stand is that the universe is of a finite age, but it has no opinion on that age. Catholics are permitted

to believe that creation took 6 days or however long, based on the evidence.

FYI-"Though faith is above reason, there can never be any real discrepancy between faith and reason. Since the same God who reveals mysteries and infuses faith has bestowed the light of reason on the human mind, God cannot deny Himself, nor can truth ever contradict truth" and "methodical research..can never conflict with faith, because the things of the world and the things of the faith derive from the same God" Science is good.

2) "Scripture presents the work of the Creator symbolically as a succession of six days of divine work" Quite a bit of the OT is best not interpreted literally. This is not contrary to church law.

KCHS is OK and I'm sure Knoxville Cathoic, Father Ryan, Memphis Catholic, and Notre Dame are pretty much on the same page. Not sure about the Brothers at CBHS and we won't even get into the Jesuits.

;)

Speaking of religious orders, three priests, a Jesuit, a Benedictine and a Franciscan, were arguing about who would have primacy in Heaven. The solution was all would pray before the altar until a sign was given. All three began praying and after an hour a piece of paper miraculously appeared on the floor before them. It said, "The Benedictines and Franciscans are great orders and do wonderful work and will be rewarded in Heaven". signed Jesus SJ.

A little Catholic humor.

LOL- here's another. A Jesuit, a Dominican, and a Franciscan were walking along an old road, debating the greatness of their orders. Suddenly, an apparition of the Holy Family appeared in front of them, with Jesus in a manger and Mary and Joseph praying over him.

The Franciscan fell on his face, overcome with awe at the sight of God born in such poverty.

The Dominican fell to his knees, adoring the beautiful reflection of the Trinity and the Holy Family.

The Jesuit walked up to Joseph, put his arm around his shoulder, and said, "So, have you thought about where to send the boy to school?"