Question for students or alums of private schools

TheEgoHasLanded

I went to a church of christ school.

1. They did not teach evolution...evolution exists in some forms these days in terms of how animals evolve. The books actually just did not say how we were created and did not say how old the earth was. I go to UT now and it is completely the opposite.

2.Yes the scientific method was taught to us. Just because you don't believe in evolution does not mean you shouldn't study it. What better way to understand something then to study it. I don't believe in Buddhism, but if I want to really understand Christianity and perhaps I should be familiar with why other people study their religions.

3. Obviously Dinosaurs existed. I believe Dinosaurs and other animals existed thousands of years before man. A meteorite probably crashed on the earth and changed the climate for hundreds of years. It could have easily caused an eclipse which kills the plants, which kills the herbivores, which hurts the carnivores, etc. In the bible it says a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years is like a day...so to say the earth was created in 6 "human days" might be correct, or it might have been made in 6 million years, does it really matter?

4. My bible classes always said the earth was about 6500 years or whatever you wish to say. I personally believe man has been around for 6500 years, and could really care less how long the earth, dinosaurs, plants, and the sun have been around.

ask me more questions and if they are really personal just PM them to me...I don't use coachT to get people to understand my religion and I don't care if they knock it, thats their choice.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I went to a so called private school, religious based, I'll give it a go.

1. Does the science curriculum include the Theory of Evolution or is it completely creationism? In science classes Evolution was taught. No creationism. Adam and Eve were mentioned in religion class.

2. Does the Science Curriculum include the scientific method and other such practices? Yep.

3. How do you feel about Dinosaurs? Did they exist and where do they fit into world. I like dinasours in general and my daughter loves Barney, though he tends to get on my nerves. Did they exist? Sure.

4. Does the curriculm address the age of the Earth or is that addressed? (Age of Earth around 6500 years based on some Cardinal's calc) Again, the age of earth was addressed in science classes, mainly through carbon dating and the big bang. Religious classes didn't address the specific date except to say there were as many guesses as ther were experts.

Why do you ask?

I went to the same school as Ego:

1. Yes, my science class was taught evolution: both micro and macro. Macro evolution was taught from a purely objective standpoint in both science and Christian Evidences (Bible class). In both situations, it was very brief (30 min.) and negative. Micro evolution was taught in science. Micro evolution, the slight adjustment of animals to survive in different environments, was considered to be true.

2. The scientific method was a valid and important part of the curriculum. Any other scientific processes and theories were always taught to the class with a Christian perpective added in.

3. Dinosaurs definitely existed, as the bones prove it. Trying to place God into a tiny box which we can completely describe is pure stupidity. We cannot really compare God or his methods to anything on earth. He doesn't work in 24 hour time slots... he simply works. God used the 7 day system to put creation into human perspective. God was saying he did his work in 7 stages. My view on God is that he wanted to be very intricate and involved in creation. He could have said "poof" and had everything created. But he really cared about what he was doing, and I think that could have taken him millions of years. So in short, God has no sense of time in eternity, and dinosaurs could have lived and been extinct before man was even created.

4. This one was pretty much answered by number 3. Most of my Bible teachers pretty much agreed that the earth wasn't created in 7 literal days. It depends on which Bible class you are in as to whether that comes up. But the two teachers I had both talked about a non-literal creation scheme. And science obviously shows from studying the sun that it has to be millions of years old. Typically, teachers label Abraham around 2050 B.C., and I've heard of some civilizations being estimated around 4000-5000 B.C., so I definitely have to go with the millions of years scenario.

I do know you. Your bro (Ross) used to go to Harding then transferred to Briarcrest. You played Basketball for a couple years at Harding, I think up until 11th grade.

And the other C of C school in TN are Ezell, Lipscomb, and Goodpasture. I think we're the only four schools.

[Edited by CoachtFAN on 2-24-03 11:12P]

Posted by CoachtFAN:

I do know you. Your bro (Ross) used to go to Harding then transferred to Briarcrest. You played Basketball for a couple years at Harding, I think up until 11th grade.

And the other C of C school in TN are Ezell, Lipscomb, and Goodpasture. I think we're the only four schools.

[Edited by CoachtFAN on 2-24-03 11:12P]

I believe Jackson Christian is as well.

VG

I`ve got my STAR!!! :rolleyes: