Maryville vs. Wiliam Blount

blountfan

It was just like last season. William Blount came out in a box n one and slowed Humphrey down. Lee scored 20 and they were earned. Other guys need to step up or Maryville's season ends next week.

Lee is a great player but he needs help if MHS wants to go to the state tourney. Bobby Golden abused our post players.

Another thing that killed MHS is Aaron Aikins was hitting the 3s tonight.

I went to a basketball game tonight and a football game broke out. Refs let the kids push each other around. The officials tonight were bad but that is not why MHS lost.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by Ballonu:

HA HA HA HA HA, you've got to be kidding me. Thats one of the worst posts (marks) i've ever seen. Bobby Golden is a decent player. Houser and Stout are helpless? Hmmm, thats a pretty ignorant comment, not to mention asinine and oafish. Remember your comments on saturday, i'll remember mine, and we'll check out the book together to see who was right. But, Bobby Golden - unstoppable? Give me a break.

[Edited by Ballonu on 2-27-03 6:45P]

I'm ready to talk about post players if you still want to. Bobby scored more in the first quarter than Houser and Stoutt combined for the entire game. He was a man among boys down low. End of debate.

This if for you too Grider. You might be right ... Houser might be a lot better than Golden. It just didn't appear that way tonight.

GovMan

[Edited by GovMan on 2-28-03 11:19P]

Guest lbcred14

Well apparently, some poeple need to learn how to give credit where credit is do. You can't sugar-coat the whipping Bobby Golden "The Show" put on Howser, Stout, and the rest of the Maryville Red Rebels tonight! Face it, Maryville got outplayed.

Lemme tell you boys somthing...Houser is my boy and I'm going to stick up for him, usually I'm pretty level headed but here its kinda made me mad. Now the refs were terrible and it seemed to me that Houser and the rest of Maryville wanted to play a pretty clean game, because they seemed to be getting called on much more picky fouls. Now William Blount would rather hit people in the mouth and shoot a basket. Houser picked up one foul because of a "block" when on the far sideline a guard hits Drew in the mouth with his elbow, foul on Drew Houser!? I think that there were tons of over the back calls that went unnoticed, for both teams, but when you're a smaller player those calls are really needed to go your way. Besides, Maryville really only had Drew Houser playing post tonight, Stout was sick with a bug, but felt well enough to play, it seemed to me he wasn't in the game mentally. Sure Bobby is a great player, but I think he took a lot of advantage of the fouls that were or weren't being handed out. Now William Blount probably would have won this one anyway due to the fact that they outhustled us, and really the game wasn't as close but I think that the game, if called correctly, would have been a true dandy! Oh yes, and let me also say that Drew Houser was never really guarding Bobby Golden, especially in the first quarter! Drew was on Rose, who didn't score until he finally hit 2 threes, and Drew wasn't guarding him when he made those, so Bobby's first 12 came against Stout! Now due to the box and 1 it was a lot easier for Bobby to dominate over Maryville's smaller posts, afterall he had help! When Stout wasn't guarding Bobby, it was Matt "Bubba" King. Ohh yea, and at least when Houser gets in the open court, he's not going to miss the dunk, and then get a technical for "showboating!" When is Bobby going to stop being afraid and step up to Houser in the dunk contest? I really don't think you can say that Bobby is that much better than Drew Houser, sure Bobby is a good player, but tonight I don't think he deserved all that he got.

GovMan,

You were right, i was wrong, you got me. Bobby Golden has improved incredibly since the last time i saw him play. He deserved all he got tonight. When it comes down to who is better him or houser. Well tonight, Golden was. But i still believe that in previous matchups and in one on one situations, houser is better. Thats just my opinion though. You've already proven me wrong once. Maryville Rebels, i know houser is your boy and all, but dunking isn't everything. Sure its exciting, but it is overrated. Just cause houser won the dunk contest 3 years running, doesn't mean he is a better player. Once again, props to Golden. You played great tonight and i hope you have good luck in the future. GovMan, you got me.

Hey Ball, if you're 6'6" and Houser is only 6'4" you've got a pretty good advantage! I'm 6'2" and Houser is 6'4" and he's got one heck of an advantage over me! So if you're 6'6" i almost expect your dunking to be just as good as his. Sure its not all its cracked up to be, but when you're wide open, ALONE, you HAVE TO make that dunk! Now like I said, Bobby has certainly upped his game, but I don't think we have a real means to compare Houser and Bobby. Afterall, they never really went one on one, Houser was with Rose most the game, and Stout was with Bobby. If you want to say that Stout isn't as good as Bobby, well I might agree with you there. Now I'm not saying Houser is much better, or even better, but I don't think that Bobby is a "man among boys!" No I just think Maryville played a bad basketball game! I don't think the refs hurt them as much not calling as they did with just not letting Maryville get any slack or any kind of playing rhythm, it was like the game never really got going, it was too busy being stopped by either too many little baby fouls or Maryville missing due to an uncalled foul! Like I said, I don't think it would have changed a whole lot, but I do think it would have made for a more exciting game to watch and a more well atleast fair game! I dunno, I might be looking at this through red colored glasses, but honestly I don't think Maryville got but a few breaks, William Blount got many, like I said, everytime Lee shot a three!

Why are you all focusing on dunks. Shaquille O'Neal misses dunks, anyone who has played basketball knows that it's not that big of a deal if you dunk or don't dunk. It doesn't mean you are a better or worse player then someone else, or you are more of a man...Why not focus on the NEXT game with emphasis being on NEXT.

btw- There have been shockers in the west over here. Hamilton lost to Jerrell Houston and Marcus Hammond of East. Also BTW lost to Josh Stafford and Sheffield...the AA and AAA are starting to finally be finalized! Good luck to all the teams...Maryville, keep winning, cus I want to see yall play when I get back to Ktown.

Ball, you make it hard to talk trash or be mean when you're so nice about stuff. Admittedly, I hyped a little about Golden leading up to the game to get under you Maryville guy's skin. I could have just as easily been eating crow this morning and I very well could be eating it next week if MHS - WB go at it again and Drew has a huge game. For now though, my WB biased opinion is that Bobby is a better post, especially offensively, than the two Maryville guys.

MaryvilleRebel ... you need to take it like a man. You lost, WB won. There were missed calls on both sides. Lee got away with clear fouls at least twice. Stoutt could have been called for three seconds at least two times maybe more. Hagy drew an obvious charge in the second half and the ref called it a block. This game wasn't determined by refereeing, it was determined by WB putting together a good team effort, being coached extremely well, and being able to put up a lead and then hang on to weather Maryville's inevitable comeback. And just for your info, when you talk about Drew not even guarding Bobby, if you'll watch the game film, when he got the ball, there were always 2 to 3 Rebel defenders guarding him ... including Drew collapsing in on him.

One thing I'll do , the literally hundreds of times you MurVul folks beat the Gov's at most everything, I take it. I don't make up excuses and blame it on refs, etc. MaryvilleRebel you should do the same and give us the same courtesy.

GovMan

Well, Unless Maryville wins state, then there will always be excuses.

Homecourt advantage, bad calls, sickness, not having fresh legs, Open zones...well not that one lol.

Seriously though, if you have played basketball competetively, then you learn to not blame the officials. Maryville probably gets its share of calls, and maybe this year they didn't get the calls they deserved. My last game ended on a controversial play in 2OT...but the game should have never gone to 20T and it probably wouldn't have mattered. Maryville is still playing, the loss might help them refocus.