Article on Cruze

mocs30

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean all these cliches and never giving up sayings are all good and well, but when it comes down to it probably no one on these boards knows the whole situation. Let me give you another dumb saying, people come from miles and miles to fill the arena, but the only one who truly knows is he who rides the bull. You all are saying that he let his teammates down, what a horrible person blah blah blah, but remember, on the last thread about this a teammate of Cruze's came on here and defended him. How do you all know that his teammates didn't agree with him and think it was a good decision? I think I also read on the other thread that 5 other people on the team had quit sometime recently. The only thing I don't like about the article is that it is so cynical towards Cruze, when the first one wasn't cynical towards Blevins. They ripped Cruze apart, but on the first one they just got a few quotes that weren't even that antagonistic. They certainly weren't a clear knock on the coaches integrity and motives. I would agree that it is poor timing to quit any sports team during the middle of a season, but since we don't know the whole situation we have no right to judge this guy. Especially when it happens all the time and nothing is said about that. When I start using perfect judgement all the time then I will start judging other people for poor judgement that they have used(if it was even poor judgement).

Maybe Cruze just wasn't comfortable on the team. So he quit. Maybe he didn't have good reasons to quit, but if he had differences with someone, sometimes its better to remove yourself from the situation. I don't see what the point is in bad mouthing an 18 year old kid. The kid was a phenominal player, I'm sorry he's not playing for Bearden right now. I bet deep down, he wishes he could play for Bearden, if he could just get a long with the coach.

Guest fred63225

Mark Burgess˜s farther should have taught his son to be honest.This article is full of half-truths that I know, and one out and out lie. He implies that Kyle came to him for coverage. I know for a fact that He called Kyle for the story. And, Burgess knows that he did not call either of the TV stations or Tony to see if Kyle brought them the story.

After reading this article, there are only three onclusions you can come to about Burgess. He is either stupid. Or, He is totally inept as a reporter. Or, He is in bed with Blevins and the Bearden administration that protect this coach.

Thie News Sentinel should not allow itself to be a part of this.This paper should take disciplinary action on such reporting

Frednunmberguy,

You appear to be new around here. Character assasination is not looked on too highly. Opinions are fine.

I've known Mark Burgess for 25 years. He's as honest as the day is long. His character is impeccable. If he said in print that the Cruze family approached him ... it's true.

If anyone is in bed together ... it's Buddy Cruze and Tony Basillio. If anything is not on the up and up, it's a small market radio station talk show host espousing his views with a strong bias slanted towards a major financial contributor to his station.

GovMan

Mayer23 your quote is ok for u, but you don't think it could work for anyone else? What's this kids quote, "I'll play as long as you aren't mean to me". My point is that if this kid thinks it's ok to quit everytime you are around someone you,disagree,don't like,get yelled at,is against you,ect. Someone earlier said, i'm sure he'd like to play if he could just get along with the coach. Can't we all just get along. The bottom line is the kid's father is the problem, not the kid. His father probably encouraged his kid to pull this STUNT. Yea stunt, that's all this was. "We'll show him!" (the coach). Wouldn't it have been better for his father to say, just finish out the season and it will be over? And far as the press, the family could have put an end to it before it started, yes he quit, why?, because he wanted to, end of story. But that goes back to the parents. This coach isn't going to run his program based on what's said in the paper,radio, or coacht.

Lot of good points both sides in this story. I don't think Burgess was trying to attack the kid in the story. I think the timing for his quitting was all about him making a point and he really did let his teammates down. And if the complaint was he was not getting enough college attention and wanted to blame it on the coach don't you know these colleges will be real impressed with a senior leader walking out on his team the week the post season starts?

Well, the Govman is always sniffing around for related details. Here's something ...

Anyone been around long enough to remember Buddy Cruze's father trying to get rid of Bearden's basketball coach back in the early to mid 70's because he wasn't being fair to Buddy? I think somehow Bert Bertlkamp was involved in the story. Just wondering.

GovMan

Who was it that said "If we don't learn from the past, we're bound to repeat it."

First of all, "GovMan" just pisses me off. Where in the article does it say that the Cruze family approached Burgess with the story? How many news reporters do you know that don't go out and find crap like this to use and abuse in the press on their own? Burgess never states but implies the the Cruzes took the story to all of these places, radio TV and himself, but he's just using the whole "Well although it may sound like I meant that it's not what I said" trick. I think all of this that Burgess wrote is complete crap and a disgrace. You can ask any of the students that go/went to school with Kyle and have witnessed everything that Blevins has done not only to him but to all of his players, especially the better ones. I sat next to Winston Robinson in class last year and at track practice listened to him just go on and on about Blevins and why he hated him. Winston, I will agree, did what Kyle should have done and stuck it out to the end, but it's pathetic what these guys went through. I've talked to Kyle before about the situation and it's obvious that it's been bad for a long time. I know Kyle has really wanted to get a D1 scholarship but Blevins has done nothing outside of letting him play on the team to help him do that. Kyle has said he'd like to play at the school I now run for, and he knows I'm willing to do all I can to still make that possible if it's what he wants. Bottom line, ask any student at Bearden, including his teammates, and I can pretty much guarantee you they'll tell you why Kyle was justified in what he did. And as far as the timing goes and it being a publicity "stunt", put yourself in Kyle's shoes... For four years you have been taking crap from this coach, and making the game you love a chore, one of those jobs that you dread going to every day. Your senior year season has been shaky, starting with not getting a captain spot that everybody except the coach believes should have gone to Kyle, but that's ok we can get over that. This decision came at the end of the regular season, after a long busride home after a double-overtime loss to KARNS! This isn't a planned decision, I know what losing a close game to a school like Karns (no offense Beavers) is like from playing soccer for Bearden (yes, we did lose at one point) and at the point Kyle was at with Blevins I'm sure that was just the last thing he needed to make up his mind. Basically I just wrote a novel and all I wanted to say is, all of this is crap, Kyle and Buddy deserve absolutely none of this.