Whats the deal with Mlk's coach

Theanswer

I was at the York & Mlk game tonite. I noticed some extremly odd actions from thier coach. He was chewing on a stick the entire game. After each qtr. the players set in Indain style around him. However, he seemed to have great control over his team. But, I was wondering why he acts in such bizarre way? And oh yeah York won the game!

[Edited by Theanswer on 3-4-03 10:08P]

I've had the opportunity to see Coach "Doc" Shelton in action for the past few years. I always enjoy watching him coach and to watch his teams play. He has always had the stick he chews on, calls all the players over when they are shooting free throws (except the one shooting the FT's), will call his whole team over while the PG has the ball out top, and has them sit down on the floor between quarters. In the consolation game of districts his team went into the locker room, as usual, but came back out within about 30 seconds...no coaches followed. They took shooting practice for the entire half-time.

All of these tactics may seem a bit unorthodoxed, but he gets results. This team that got beat by York, is made up of Sophomores and Freshmen. He always seems to be able to get the most out of his players.

Two state championships to his record attest to his coaching abilities. One of those championships came without two of the teams key players, who sat out the championship game because of religious reasons.

He can coach but he is a nut job. He suffers from little man syndrome. No one is allowed to get more attention than he does. His team was playing great in the state a couple of years ago and really putting it to Brainard. No one was paying attention to him so he ripped his shirt off. You would have thought he was 20 down instead of 20 up. His nicknames the best. It's not for anything he did or accomplished. He was a big Julius Erving fan, Dr. J.. So his teammates labled him Doc. It was little man hero worship. He also has to surround himself with a bunch of wannabes. Maybe one or two people that know basketball and a bunch of public relations recruiters.

I guess it would depend on what comes open. I am not going to jump into another bad situation again. :D I think you would understand. I learned my lesson. :) I am glad they are reaping the benefits of a 6'6" center and point guard from Hunters Lane transferring in and the year of experience everyone has from last year. Coach Gamble is considering coming back to Maplewood for another year since he has basically everyone back. A new principal helps. I haven't heard of anything else opening up. Coach Nollner at the Creek is going to do one more. Do you ever get back to Thirsty Turtle land? I don't think CU has filled their position yet either. :)