Dobyns Bennett vs. White Station......

chill

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody know why there is such a rush to play the Sub State Games, before the sweat is dry from the Region Tournament, and then wait 10 days for the State Tournament to start?? It seems like we could have held the Sub State games until this Friday Night.... I expect the crowds would have been bigger than a Monday night School night crowd. DB won their sub state game, so it's ok with me how they did it, but it still does not make alot of since.

Wondering if White Station is playing in any "bigtime" tournaments between now and Murf? They got time to get a NYC trip in, or Las Vegas, Atlanta. Maybe they could play some "tough" teams before they have to lower their standards and play TN AAA competition. And how big (enrollment) a school is WS? Is it located "Inner City" Memphis, or on the outskirts?

DB has had 2 days rest, practice resumes on Thursday. C MO will be setting the stage for a Murf. trip. Pound the Rock dow low Injin's and bang the 3 ball. That and TEAM Defense could win this game for the Tribe.

7 Out :rolleyes:

One reason is to play the Sub-state right after regionals so you won't lose chemistry. Now the wait for ten days I don't know. I can only guess with teams having to get hotels and money for the trip, you know...all the red tape issues. Also, maybe it will give teams that are banged-up a chance to heal before the final eight.

Posted by ArtVandalay:

White Station had to struggle to beat Bartlett in the Sub-State, they scored 41 pts? Is that it? And Bartlett was 26-11, and had a loss to Bolten, 19-11. Kingsport Dobyns-Bennett is way better than that.

You have no idea what you just started. Let's go.

First, Bartlett has the best coach in the state. Give him a week to put together a game plan, and there's a very, very, very, very good chance he'll beat you. In this case, White Station was good enough to beat Bartlett. Bartlett is one of the best halfcourt defensive teams around and plays a deliberate style of basketball. They gave up an average of 48.7 points per game this year and played more deliberate against White Station than any other game all year. We made them play our game and they beat us at it. Isn't that one sign of a great team? Do you think it˜s a coincidence that two of White Station˜s three lowest-scoring games were against Bartlett?

Second, Bartlett was 26-11. *ELEVEN* games out of those 37 were against teams that won 20 or more, and even with a couple of clunker games early against rebuilding teams, the average record for our opponents was 17-12. Only 14 teams were below .500, 17 teams were better than .600. Bolton was 19-11, that's pretty darned good. They have a good team every year, but you're ignoring that the game was at Bolton. Since you're not from around here, I won't hold it against you that you don't know Bartlett-Bolton is one of the biggest rivalries in the state. They haven't beaten us at our place since...umm...I think 1994-95. I know we've beaten them the last 10 times we've played them at our place. They've beaten us four of the last five times over there. If you were gonna pick a bad loss, you should have gone with, say, Memphis Central, who really isn't a bad team.

But since you're in the business of picking on White Station for beating a 26-11 team (who lost at their 19-11 arch-rivals) at their own game, let's look at some D-B scores. Lost to 14-12 David Crockett 79-73? Lost to 16-12 Cumberland County 71-66? I˜ll give you credit, the Maryville and SH losses are good, as losses go.

How about White Station˜s two losses this year? 66-63 to McQuaid Jesuit, currently 25-0 and #2 in the nation in the USA TODAY poll and 59-52 at 32-4 Ridgeway, the #1 team in AA all year long, which was ranked #10 in the South Region last week in the USA TODAY˜and a team that White Station destroyed, 62-41, at the Spartan Palace. White Station beat USA TODAY Top 25 teams Kickapoo (Springfield, Mo., 28-1, #14) and St. Raymond˜s (Bronx, N.Y., 25-3, #12) on back-to-back nights, in Springfield. Warren Central is 23-3 in Kentucky, and White Station beat them 77-54.

Posted by ArtVandalay:

You better tell you White Station friends to play a little harder, because I know how the Indians will play!! For your sake, hope that WS can press better than SH, because, we shoot lay-ups when SH presses us!!

And I know how the Spartans will play. I also know they will be adding another gold basketball to their trophy case next weekend. Don˜t worry, having a 30-5 season ending with a loss to White Station is still a great season.

Guest BleacherRef

Opperman.....you "KNOW" they are going to add another gold basketball to their trophy case next weekend?

Hmmmmmmmmm......one could only wonder exactly what that means.

Roll~~~~~~~~~Tribe~~~~~~~~~Roll

Our guys will play hard and hopefully stay close till the end and maybe pull it out. To the guy who said you better bring some people, you obviously don't come to Dobyns-Bennett sporting events or you would know wherever DB is playing there is a huge contingency of Kingsportians, just ask the folks at Riverdale.

I agree White Station's the favorite, but I was at the game and I don't think it's a given that they'll win it all. Bartlett didn't play their best game and came pretty close to beating White Station... Chase Hardin hit a shot that would have cut it to 2 with about two minutes left, but he got called for charging on a call that could have gone either way (and should have been a no-call, IMO.) White Station's definitely beatable, and there are teams in AAA that could give them a game.