Dobyns Bennett vs. White Station......

chill

Posted by volntn:

I have sit here listening to all this "Memphis teams are superior" line of thought,and frankly,i am fed up with the ignorance and arrogance of the Flat landers.Memphis IS NOT a "HOTBED" of basketball.Look at the population compared to Kingsport and my City Cleveland,compared to the level of talent on even my local area teams,Cleveland,Bradley Central,Chattanooga Central,Howard,etc.All of these schools are within 20 minutes or so of each other,so talk about a diluted talent pool with only 400,000 people in Chattanooga/Cleveland compared to what, 3 million in Memphis?If there is any so called Hotbed % wise it's here.

*sigh* where to begin...

First, I guess we'll tackle the population part. The US Census defines seven metropolitan areas in Tennessee: Chattanooga (452,034; 321,627 of that in TN), Clarksville (201,352; 129,411), Jackson (101,611), Tri-Cities (462,769; 373,763), Knoxville (672,087), Memphis (1,105,058; 952,789), and Nashville (1,171,155). Gee, imagine that, Memphis isn't the biggest metro in the state. In fact, if you combine Chattanooga and Knoxville, it's bigger than the Memphis area. Tennessee has 5,740,021 residents, according to the Census. 952,789 of those are from the Memphis metro area. That's 16.6 percent. So does Memphis have just 16.6 percent of the state championships, 16.6 percent of the Division I signees (and college signees overall), in basketball, 16.6 percent of the NBA players? Fine, the Chattanooga area has three very good teams in Bradley, Cleveland, and Howard. Rah. Have a cookie.

Second...arrogance of the flat landers? At least we have a reason to be arrogant. Please remind me, when's the last time east TN won a AA or AAA title? Ignorance? Please... I'm tired of all these delusional people from the east who have never been here long enough to appreciate that this is actually a nice place to live, there's a lot to do (when's the last time a world championship was decided in Chattanooga or Cleveland? When's the last time Jordan, Kobe, Shaq, T-Mac, KG, etc. played there?), and some of us would rather live here than be condescending rednecks who are bashing something they don't know.

I've spent a fairly significant portion of my life in a foothills town of 10,000 where it's 40 miles to the nearest movie theater and 25 miles to the nearest national park. I know what living in a rural area is. Give me Memphis.

Posted by volntn:

Of course all Native East Tennesseean's know that after you cross the Cumberland Plateau,you might as well have entered another state anyway. Hey even if DB,BCHS,etc. get beat,we still win on Best Fan support,best people,Most natural beauty---I tell ya whats unbeatable,daybreak in the mountains of east Tennessee,watching the smokey blue haze rise up from the valleys as you are whitewater rafting down the Ocoee river. GO Bears , Go Tribe.. We ready!!!We ready!!! We ready!!!

You know what I think is pretty unbeatable? You go to a baseball game and see several future major-league stars play at what many neutral observers have said is the best ballpark anywhere below the major leagues, then you go to the Rendezvous for dinner, after which you drive up the street to watch the world heavyweight championship at the Pyramid, and then you go party on Beale Street afterwards. That's a pretty good day in my book.

Best fan support? According to whom? I'll put Bartlett's fan support against anybody's. We support our teams pretty well, but a lot of fans can't travel as much as some people from smaller towns can. Harder to get off work, etc.

I'll give you natural beauty, the Appalachians are gorgeous. By far the most scenic part of the state that I've been to. But you were talking about *OUR* arrogance earlier? Best people? In related news, Memphis has the best-looking women. How can I say this? Same way you can say you have the best people. By making something up and pretending it's true.

In all seriousness, you're WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off-base here. People are people. There is no area of the state that has the "best people". If you could see past the end of your nose, you'd realize that.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey opperman.... I agree w/ ya on everything... I live smack dab in the middle of the state and as far south as you can get just about... i've been everywhere in the state and I would have to also say that the mtn area is the most scenic and relaxing place to be... But nashville and memphis are the most enjoyable places to be... As far as the girls in memphis... From what i've seen... ya they're hot... But I saw on tv a few months ago that memphis was the #2 spot in the country for aids.... :) So i'll just look... lol :) btw, an east tennessee team won't pull off a state tourney this yr.... But middle tennessee has a very good chance in GCHS... I pick them over Ridgeway by 9 in the AA championship game....

opperman,

Why would you combine the populations of Knoxville and Chatanooga and compare the total to Memphis' population? What does that have to do with anything? Nobody that lives in Chattanooga is playing basketball in Knoxville, and vice versa.

Populations have nothing to do with it. White Station has a wonderful basketball program. End of story.

When's the last time a world championship was decided ANYWHERE in the state of Tennessee? Don't go talking about the Grizzlies. They have won just about as many games in East Tennessee as they have in Memphis, and they have not won ANY in East Tennessee. Oh, yeah, the Titans sure had a wonderful experience in Memphis. And how about the XFL. BTW, Jordan played baseball in both Knoxville and Chat. just a few years ago!:)

Also, how about the wonderful world of Memphis politics?

Another perception of Memphis is that it is crime ridden. One relative of mine had her car broken into. Law enforcement responded and told my relative that, "She should not have been in that part of town." That's comforting!

But, hey, I do like Memphis. Like you said, they have the Rendevous, the Peabody, Beale Street, Sun Studios, etc. heck, I like just looking at 'Old Man River.' Memphis in May is great.

A great place to visit, but I would not want to live there.

To each his own.

[Edited by rolltriberoll on 3-17-03 6:26A]

Guest HBaller88

Alright, at first i thought this would be a one maybe two day dispute about trash talkikn each other for a little bit. But come on, when did this BASKETBALL board become a "my city is better than yours is" thread???? No wonder all the DB people quit posting Cman, this is ridiculous and there is no mention of high school basketball. Get back to BASKETBALL cause the tourney is only days away and you all are talking about anything and everything except HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL!!! :confused:

Good Luck to both teams!

ROLL TRIBE ROLL!!!

I'm bringing up the populations of the cities to counter the argument that Memphis is only good in basketball because it's bigger. People from the East think Memphis is much bigger than it is, and that's one of the main reasons they actually believe the "Memphis is only good in basketball because it's bigger" line of thought posted by volntn.

Jordan didn't play basketball that matters in Knoxville or Chattanooga. He played a game that counted in Memphis this year. And last year too. As for the Thumbtacks, when they played here...why should we have supported them? Bud Adams didn't do one thing to get the community involved, then he whined about us not supporting them? What the heck did he expect? Especially after he negotiated a deal where the team never came to Memphis except on Sundays, and the Shelby County Sports Authority paid for the two flights that came in on Sunday mornings and left on Sunday afternoons. And the one time we did have a big crowd, he whined about that...because it was about 3/4 Steeler fans. That team was never our team, so we never supported it.

And when was the last time Memphis had a world championship? Geez, you have a short memory. Let's try June 8. The world heavyweight boxing championship was in Tennessee, at the Pyramid in Memphis.

Parts of Memphis are crime-ridden, yes. That's why you need to know where you're going and how to get there. But in 20 years of living here, the only crime my family has been the victim of was some idiot kid down the street breaking my windows with a baseball bat. Something that happens everywhere.

HBaller, I want to point out that I'm merely defending my city. If people want the city-bashing to stop, they can quit bashing Memphis. But as long as they keep bashing my hometown, I will keep defending it.

Ball's in your court, folks.

When's the last time anyone else in the state except Memphis had open enrollment? We are comparing apples to oranges. If not for open enrollment Memphis would be dominating Division 2. Why go to private school when you can get the same advantages in the public school? This is a tremendous advantage when your competition at the state tourney plays by different rules. DB, Science Hill, Greenville, and Bradley Central are not Magnet schools with tremendous advantages in student populations. Open enrollment is the reason that White Station is 13 deep not that Memphis is that far superior in talent. You always use only metro Memphis when comparing population. Include the suburbs and the ratio would be insane. You are comparing apples to oranges. That's the Clinton philosophy of telling it to suit your needs and stretch the truth if cornered. When Memphis plays by the rules everyone else does then you can talk about domination.

A five year old can come up with the info he has got...but someone had to post that information because there has been some incorrect information on this board.

*Sighs*

Glad you feel better now that you know how to call people names over a computer. I'm above that, but you just go ahead and keep playing your games...I'm home for Spring Break and will not be able to get on as much (I'm visiting friends, working, going on dates etc, the stuff geeks do :rolleyes: ) Good luck to all the teams in the state tournament, I honestly don't care who wins, I went to a PRIVATE SCHOOL (sorry I wasn't as fortunate as you all nor did I have the means to go to Kingsport DB)...If you look at the posts, I never said one team will 100% win...I don't know enough about AAA basketball nor do I care. I just post on common misconceptions and questions pertaining to the city of Memphis...Good luck to all the teams, and I hope that the name calling can subside after the state tournament.

Posted by Campbelle2:

When's the last time anyone else in the state except Memphis had open enrollment? We are comparing apples to oranges. If not for open enrollment Memphis would be dominating Division 2. Why go to private school when you can get the same advantages in the public school? This is a tremendous advantage when your competition at the state tourney plays by different rules. DB, Science Hill, Greenville, and Bradley Central are not Magnet schools with tremendous advantages in student populations. Open enrollment is the reason that White Station is 13 deep not that Memphis is that far superior in talent.

You play with the players in your school. The people in school at White Station either live in that district or have parents who camped out a week to get them into White Station. They don't make exceptions for athletes. Again, have you actually been over here for a few days to watch some games. You've talked about being a quasi-scout for LMU, right? Come over and watch White Station, Ridgeway, Fairley, Hamilton, Melrose, Wooddale, Mitchell, BTW, Carver, East, Raleigh-Egypt, Northside, Hillcrest, Sheffield, and a few others, then come out to the suburbs and watch Bartlett, Bolton, Germantown, maybe Houston in a year or two, and a few other games. And the private schools with Harding, Bishop Byrne, Lausanne,

Posted by Campbelle2:

You always use only metro Memphis when comparing population. Include the suburbs and the ratio would be insane. You are comparing apples to oranges. That's the Clinton philosophy of telling it to suit your needs and stretch the truth if cornered. When Memphis plays by the rules everyone else does then you can talk about domination.

Metro Memphis is the city and the suburbs. In fact, the Memphis metropolitan area is defined as Shelby, Fayette, and Tipton Counties in TN as well as Crittenden County AR and DeSoto County MS. Any more inaccuracy you want to falsely accuse me of?

Posted by firefly:

This all started from an off-hand remark from a DB fan. Then you & your pal TheEgoHasLanded and a few crybaby Science Hill fans blew everything out of propotion.

I've never met ego. I think for myself. He can say whatever he wants.

I've already said all I need to say about what started this. He replied by trashing the city I've called home for 20 years. I will defend my hometown. I would hope you would defend your own hometown.

Posted by firefly:

Your not so bright, a five yr. old can get on the net and come up with the info you have. So don't try to come across like your all knowing. Do you think anyone really cares?

I post facts. I make sure what I say is accurate before I say it on here. I don't say Memphis has 3 million people when it really has a little over 1 million. I don't say the Illinois-Michigan state line is closer to Kingsport than Memphis is when it isn't. In my line of work, accuracy is *VERY* important. So it pays to look something up before you say it.

Posted by firefly:

And to that jerk that calls himself a moderator (TheEgoHasLanded), who would want to be a plus member if your one? From the number of post you two Geeks have, you must never leave your computers. Try getting out of the house now & then.

I do get out of the house a lot. You'll notice a lot of my posts are in the wee hours of the morning, after I get back from work and everything...or while I'm on breaks. And realize, I've been on this site a couple of years. I was the first one to register on the new site after coacht and iamoz.

I think you're overstating what we do as moderators. Basically, all I ever do is delete totally inappropriate posts (if it has an F-bomb, that means it's gone, for example) or occasionally lock a thread...I think I've only locked two threads, one of which was an NCAA tournament discussion on here, after coacht had locked one previously and said not to talk about college basketball on here right now.

Posted by firefly:

Now a little about Basketball: The game will be won or lost Thursday. It will not matter what is said on Coacht.com, or how far Memphis is from anywhere. Where a team is ranked does not matter. The number of wins a team has does not matter. Any team in the tourney has as good a chance to win it all as the next. Say what you, but you'll only sound foolish.

No, not all teams have the same chance to win the state. Mathematically, they do, opporitunity-wise, they do. But in terms of a real chance, no. Not that I gamble or anything, but would you really give 8:1 on White Station winning?