CHAKRA

pujo

This whole situation reminds me of a story that we read in English class the other day, and I'd love to post the whole thing, but I don't have that much time. The jist of the story is that in the future all of those who are smarter than others are given a handicap(in the form of some hearing device), those who have better looks are forced to wear masks, and those who have more physical strength have weights locked to them. Everyone in that society wanted everything to be completely equal, until they realized what a crappy situation it was. I feel that this is what will happen when the split occurs. Public schools will get sick of people talking about how they're championship means nothing, or how the competition isn't nearly as good any more and they will still not be satisfied. Be careful what you wish for. As I stated on another thread, the same "advantages" that privates have been accused of having are seen in numerous public schools as well. This appears then to be a matter of who's winning and who's losing from both sides, and not a public/private matter. You say that great talent with an average coach is much better than average talent with a great coach? I STRONGLY disagree with you there. Not only will the great coach more than likely turn an average athlete into a great athlete, but he will make them play as a team and learn skills other than those directly related to their sport, which will in turn help all aspects of their lives including that sport. How many times have you seen the teams with the most talent get beat by the teams with better coaches? ALL THE TIME. If a private school has built a good athletic program, and that in turn draws more student-athletes to their schools, I still don't see how that is grounds for kicking them out of D-1. There are MANY public schools that have good programs that draw student-athletes as well. I remember on the basketball board a few weeks ago a parent started a thread asking what were some of the better public schools in the Chattanooga area, because they were moving to town. All of the things privates are accused of are seen in public schools as well. I have yet to see a private school hold athletic tryouts for applicants to their school. Simply because they get to "pick and choose" who gets in to their school does not mean they get the best athletes. This is all pathetic.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic