Columbia vs. Smyrna

Yankee0697

Tonight Columbia tied Smyrna 1-1. This was probably the worst officiated game I have ever seen. The calls were equally as bad for both sides, but the game got so out of hand that a bench clearing brawl almost happened at the end of the game. The referees never got control of the game. So many calls were missed by the refs. We (Columbia) were a much smaller team than Smyrna but we played them just as physical. But both teams got real frustrated because of the missed calls. But being consistent with bad calls doesnt make things right, because the play got so physical that it carried over right into the parking lot.

The game was played at Columbia, the officials were absolutely pathetic, the calls though were more into the favor of Columbia but I have to admit that the score was not tied because of the officials but a result of our team not finishing.

Columbia players and fans had no class what so ever, players were spitting on our players faces, cursing at the coaches. The are the perfect example why soccer is not looked at as a sport of class and is looked at as a sport for uncivilized low rate people that have nothing better to do than act like thugs.

You are right Yankee about the game was carried out to the parking lot even farther when our team was driving home. Couple cars followed us into one of the intercections flippin us off, mooning everyone in the bus (players and coaches) and even curse at everyone.

Putting the kids that were riding on the bus in danger by cutting us off is pathetic and should be handled by TSSAA as a serious offense but as usual they will do nothing at all.

Anyway, that's what happened last night at Columbia, it was a sad day for soccer for us not because of the score but because of the action of some not all from the friendly city of Columbia. :)

I will admit there was alot of no class shown at the game last night, but it was shown on both sides. Our coach was cursed at as well. Our fans didnt help matters, I will admit. Some of the Smyrna players refused to shake hands after the game. As far as it escalating into the parking lot, that was a result of alot of stuff that was said by both teams. The refs had no control of the game right from the start. It was a physical game and Columbia came out on the short end of that because we were a much smaller team. The Smyrna players used their elbows alot, maybe unintentional maybe not, I dont know. Our fullback was elbowed in the face and busted his lip. Then when he got overzealous complaining to the refs, gets a yellow card, as well as the Smyrna player. Smyrna has just as much right to be upset with the refereeing because they had some bad calls called on them too. Thats when players and coaches get frustrated. The bad thing about bad officiating is that players tend to only focus on the bad calls against them and overlook the bad calls against their opponent. Alot of people think that as long as a referee is consistent everything is ok, but thats not true. Players get frustrated and things can get out of hand real easy. I can only speak for Columbia, but this was uncharacteristic for our team and our fans. No matter what the circumstance spitting on another player is unexcusable.

Our Athletic Director was at the game and he wasnt happy with the fans. He will probably have something to say about it. The bottom line is that incidents like last night should never happen. Sorry.

Bad refereeing is only part of the problem. The fans need to be more respectful. Our fans the other night were definitely rude. It seems that alot of the fans dont really understand the game and go just to heckle the other team. We (Columbia) faced that kind of treatment the other night in Dickson. Even though I left the field the other night with some bad feelings towards Smyrna, I know how they felt because we faced alot of abuse from the Dickson fans when we left the field the other night. When two teams play hard for 90 minutes they should leave the field with the game behind them. The fans should not provoke things by cursing at the opposing players. The Athletic Directors should emphasize this to the students. This goes for the parents as well. I am ashamed of what happened the other night in Columbia.

fortunately, we dont have the same problem with our fans at centennial as you guys had at columbia. tying maryville sucked friday night, always want to win, but that being our home opener having our classmates their with the support was awesome. i am yet to see as funny, respectful, and creative fans as those i go to school with. if anyone in the stands friday night reads this, thanks for the support