Private Schools shut out of girls' basketball crow

So, you're saying that the small 1A & 2A privates have a better opportunity to recruit than the small rural publics have? Not that either (public or private) do recruit, just that the small privates just have a better opportunity to do so.

On a side note, Gotgame, how did you get so many good marks so quick? I bet you're recruiting!! Just kidding, welcome again to Coacht Plus.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if any one of the better 1a public schools were located in Nashville and had no zones, know one else would have a chance. The only problem would be, holding the enrollment down so they could stay in 1a. If everyone would look around, you would see that there are no 1a public schools in these highly populated areas except private schools. For example, any of the good small 1a public schools could compete with any school in the state if they had these same options available to them, but they don't, because they are not located in these highly populated areas. Go figure?

[Edited by pujo on 3-16-03 8:26P]

Would someone go knock on VG's door and see if he is ok. After that last long post, I'm sure he's cramped up and probably lying on the floor. I know he does not have one of those "I've fallen and I can't get up" buttons. War & Peace was shorter!! So keep knocking until he answers. Make sure he is ok and then report back to us. However, if at anytime he starts talking about cooking oil and turkey basters, leave immediately! Call 911 and get out of town.

[Edited by robjim on 3-16-03 8:44P]

GotGame...My son plays football for a public school that will be in 4A next year. This is the same division as Maryville. Maryville has open zones. My son`s school does not and is even subject to losing kids to two other local magnet schools. If you take a look at Maryville`s recent history in football you will find a team that has a record that no private school can touch. They have won several state championships. So with this history they are able to "attract" not "recruit" kids to their program. This is the reason that people give when they say private schools have an unfair advantage.

So why is it fair for my 4A school that is limited to a strict zone (plus having to compete with 2 magnet schools)to compete against an established program like Maryville that obviously can attract kids from a large area? Two or three athletes can make a difference even on the 4A level and from what I`ve read on threads about maryville, they had more starters than that from outside the Maryville zone.

Either we all need to get over it and just play ball or we need to take a serious and across the board look at how we want to classify teams.

Open zones and magnet schools are not going away. In fact they will become more common. Williamson County is discussing the possibility of open zones now.

I don`t mind if the TSSAA feels that not having a strict zone like private schools is unfair, but they need to deal with the open zone situation on an equal basis.

LOL...robjim

No worry my friend I strapped myself to the chair before that one and hooked an IV in just in case.

We`ll leave our oil and baster talks to the PLUS board. These regular coacht posters probably couldn`t handle such intense discussions. And we PLUS members know the proper way to pick our noses too. banana.gif

VG

I`ve got my plus_star.gif Where`s your`s?

Public school programs that have students outside a set zone should be moved up, depending on the number compared to the size of the school. I think I posted this once and made it more complicated than it should have been. Establish a population zone around a school which should supply the maximum number of students allowed in a particular class. I'm sure it could be done easily using the census, number of people per square mile in a city. Don't penalize a school that doesn't have students from all over just because it is in an open zone. And go sport by sport, don't move an A noncompetive softball team to AAA just because the football team draws from outside this proposed zone. Move a team up a class depending on the percentage of outside the zone students maybe over 3 years. I looked at Tyner (magnet) football using very rough estimates and placed them in 4A, just guessing, Maryville it seems would be in 5A. A team wouldn't automatically go up to 5A or AAA, it would depend on how much above the set limit/percentage they are. Decide on the percentage which moves a team up one class, in the different sports.

Thanks, scout. Gotta get pujo and GotGame smiling a little from time to time. You guys are the best and I enjoy the debates and your passion. That's what great about the board. I'm hearing rumors out of Lawenceburg on an upcoming big annoucement. Some rumbleings out of Coacht land. Anyone else heard anything?

I'm not sure Bighurt and Online will appreciate being included in your thread, though. Online, do you wear one glove or two? I know bighurt doesn't wear socks, so I'm concerned just where he puts them.

[Edited by robjim on 3-16-03 9:17P]

[Edited by robjim on 3-17-03 7:44A]

Just if anyone cares I have a plan in the works for the perfect and fair way for a split..In a few days i will try to have it all together and on here..Give it a chance i think that it will work and not just focus on the schools that i always focus on but on the issue of Maryville (and programs like that also)

Indian...I really don`t care how they do it. I`ve always said that if there is a problem, then identify the problem and resolve in a manner that is applied equally throughout the system. As it stands, it seems the TSSAA is addressing only a type of school and not the problem itself.

I`ve always favored a merit based system that forces better teams to move up with quality of play. If a CPA could eventually keep getting good enough and whipped enough butts to be forced to play in 5A then so be it.