Private Schools shut out of girls' basketball crow

I think something should be done, but I don't think a whole athletic program should have to move up. I don't like a merit system since a team might have its best year and best group of athletes ever, go on a run and win the state then have to move up. Or a great program might have a 2 or 3 year period of bad luck/coaching change/injuries and move down then run teams off the field, maybe even having 1000 students playing 1A level teams. I also wouldn't want the schedules and rivalries to change every year, the team here plays schools which have had a wide range of success in the past few years so all of them might not make it on the schedule.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have made a tremendous point there, Jaxman. Our focus has often been on the wrong things. Everyone realizes that hard work and great effort alone will not win a championship. There are so many factors involved -- injuries, breaks, luck of the draw, etc. No championship has ever been won without hard work and great effort.

My point in starting this thread was to put some perspective on this discussion. These things go in cycles and overreacting to every turn of the cycle is ridiculous. If we had the best interest of the kids at heart, we could all play together and live in harmony. Unfortunately many "adult" problems get in the way like greed, pride, envy, etc.

Got to quit preaching now!

"These things go in cycles and overreacting to every turn of the cycle is ridiculous."

golly steve, they must have truncated your post, because i dont see any detail about this 'cycle' you keep referring to. surely you arent just mouthing an empty phrase as an assertion, with no data to back it up? i await data showing the cyclic nature...

Indian, you are making an assumption that isn't necessarily so. It is not on either of the tablets sent down from Mount Sinai that your regular-season league opponents have to be the same ones you will play in the first level of playoffs. Indeed, in my experience, states that do not tie the two together have more interest in their regular seasons.

I don't claim that a promotion/relegation system like the one I'm designing is perfect--but given a few years, problems in it will tend to correct themselves. That's more than you can say for any other proposal I've seen. (And yes, I do propose independent movement by sport.)

i am very interested in the proposal you are preparing. is it a solo work, or are you collaborating with others? i would think a proposal with backing from both sides of the fence would get the best hearing.

at any rate, i may have contacts that could be useful when you are ready to present it to the tssaa.

i would join t-plus so i could send you a message, but i dont own a credit card (never have, never will). however you can e-mail me at drystoneman@hotmail.com if you are interested.

What would a regular season schedule have to do with a playoff schedule? The teams I meant were Whitwell, Bledsoe, South Pittsburg, Marion and Grundy County. I also would hate to see a team dropped from the schedule because its power rating or whatever could not help a team get into the playoffs, a school having to choose between a good money drawing opponent and a playoff chance. Most of my post was about what to do with teams in open zones.

Posted by lazarus:

i am very interested in the proposal you are preparing. is it a solo work, or are you collaborating with others? i would think a proposal with backing from both sides of the fence would get the best hearing.

at any rate, i may have contacts that could be useful when you are ready to present it to the tssaa.

i would join t-plus so i could send you a message, but i dont own a credit card (never have, never will). however you can e-mail me at drystoneman@hotmail.com if you are interested.

Laz..we`d love to have you as a PLUS member. It`s a lot of fun on the other side ;) . Some serious discussion and a whole lot of cut up. I don`t use credit cards either, but I do have a debit card. You can still join by just sending coacht a check.

Here`s the link...http://www.coacht.com/plus/

CoachT

288 Waldon Road

Lawrenceburg, TN 38464

Lazy-rus,

You surprise me. Look it up for yourself. These things go in cycles. That is a historical fact, not a whatever you said. This time last year many people were screaming about the "unfair advantages" that private schools had in basketball because of the strong representation of private schools in the state tourney, especially boys' class A. Where are the accusers now? Only Temple and Johnson City University School remain in the class A field from private schools (If I am not mistaken). I will not be surprised at all if both are eliminated as early as tomorrow (Wednesday).

My point remains the same. If we overreact to every turn of the cycle we will be jumping all over the place every few years.

And your point was...?

sorry man, already did the work... and posted my results some time ago. no one ever offered any contradictory analysis then, but you are welcome to look it up and contest the results now, if you choose. at any rate, i dont believe it is good science on your part to offer a theory with no supporting data, and then demand that those who would contest it do your work for you.

a rough summary of my results would be that there is nothing cyclic going on. since the 70's private schools have enjoyed a steadily growing dominance. actually, it isnt all private schools, but about 6 or 8.

if you have the energy to do some analysis, please bear in mind that single data points do not constitute evidence. one must consider the whole data pool over a time period. i would find it stimulating if you can present anything resembling a cycle to the balance of power.

but i have to close with an apology. i am afraid i wont be around electricity for a while, so i wont be able to respond anytime soon. of course, your analysis will take some time i am sure. when i am back i will be looking to see what you came up with.