OS position opening???

rSquared

clinton played in the morristown citizen tribune classic 2 years ago and i had a chance to see the clinton team play

in addition they have played @ the jefferson county thanksgiving classic in the past-- she has proven herself to be an exceelent bench coach and has improved the quality of basketball played at clinto which plays in a very tough district(oak ridge,campbell county, halls,powell,clinton,karns and central)

coach snyder should be considered as a LEADING canidate--the BIGGER question is would she want to leave what should be one of the top returning teams in that district

the land of OZ can only hope they can get her to return

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Tonya would leave if offered. She comes from a long line of athletes at OS from her family. She grew up in Anderson County (frost bottom), but like her family attended OS instead of CLinton. I do know she was upset she was passed over initially hwen Wright was hired, but things have a way of working out as she has layed down a strong foundation at Clinton and gained expereince. Also, she's a class act and devout in her faith which would also tremendous in being a role model. She's young at age 29-30, hungry, energetitic, and capable of becoming that coach that would stick around at OS for 15-20 years.

First let me say thank you to iamoz for mentioning me as a possible candidate for the job. That means a lot to me. As I sit and ponder this thread and consider even thinking about getting back into coaching on the high school level, many,many thoughts run through this head. I have no intentions of coaching anymore except AAU. Currently I am assisting my father with a 16-under team made up of local girls. Wampler, Goins, and the Lankfords play from OS. These are great girls and they have the heart and dedication to play and to work to get better. Yes when I heard the OS job was open I got excited and considered applying for the job but that is my love and passion for the sport thinking and not my head. My heart says go for it but my head says no. I was an assistant at Kingston for 2 years and loved it! But the one thing that I will never forget about my time at RCHS was the fact some OS people called me a traitor(to my face) and they were not kidding and some were just down right rude. I know the OS/RCHS rival is strong and long going, I didn't care much for RCHS when I played either. But the fact is these are people from my hometown and I was treated this way simply b/c I took a job 1 week before school started and Ruth Thompson was the head coach and obviously I wanted to work under her. It wasn't like OS had offered me anything. To me it was a job and an opportunity to coach, but to OS people it was a stab in the back. I vowed I would never go back to OS if an opening came up. In those 2 years I learned alot from Ruth and from teaching at RCHS. I also learned and saw first hand how politics work in Roane County which know I look back and see how God took me out of a situation that was going to turn bad (some of you know what I am talking about when Thompson was ousted) and put me in a school in Morgan County where I was needed. My days are no longer filled with pressure, with complaining parents who think they know the game of basketball and how a team should be coached,no more long bus rides to scott co, no more summer and holiday practices,etc. Yes I miss these times but life is so much more to me now than basketball.

Until coaches are able to fully do their jobs w/o parents intervening b/c they think they know more than the coach about coaching or b/c their child is an all-star who deserves more pt than another then I don't see how most coaches stay in it. Until adminstration backs their coaches and doesn't give in to outside pressure, until coaches can discipline their players w/o conflict or being "too hard" on them (unless it is physical or verbal abuse) then coaches cannot fully "coach" It saddens me to look around at high school sports today (Bearden senior quitting, kids not wanting to play for a certain coach,etc.) and see what state they are in. Part of a coaches job includes life lessonsand what kind of lessons are our kids learning today? It is ok to be a quitter, it is ok to disrespect someone in authority, it is ok not to work hard and be dedicated for playing time,etc. Well News Flash : LIFE IS TOUGH!! and we don't always get what we want or deserve but that doesn't mean we quit or get revenge. So my decision is to stay out of coaching and enjoy my life to the best of my ability. I do not have the added pressure of coaching in my life anymore and I love it. I enjoy playing in old womens leagues, playing softball, and hopefully my golf game will pick up again and more importantly spending time with my family more. Life is too short too be consumed with parents you can never please and kids with no respect. I hope in a few years my soon to be husband and myself when we have a child can teach him/her the values and moral i see missing every day in kids. And by the way my child will be attending Kingston so I hope OS people don't take offense to that!

So good luck to whomever is lucky enough to be the new coach ,I will be watching and enjoying as a spectator.

This is a great post!!!! Basketball teaches life and life is definitely tough!!! This is how our children learn. when we become adults we get our own lives and where we work or where our kids go to school should not matter to others!! we are adults now!!!! We should act like it. I agree with Candi D.

It saddens me to look at teams now and see how selfish they are and how it shows in their play. It seems athletes and adults are focused more on individual then TEAM. I get tired of seeing one student praised and praised about how great they are but it takes 4 other people on the court to make them look successful. You never see a team win championships with just one or 2 talented players. No one remembers if so and so scored 25 pts in a game but they do remember the TEAM that won the district tournament or region or state. At Kingston we won the distict tournament but I can not tell you who scored the most points or was named MVP, it didn't matter, the TEAM won. I would gladly take back all the points I had in high school just to have made it to a state tournament 1 time. So until we get back to team ball and dedication and sticking through the tough times together then I pray that all coaches can find the energy and strength to stay focused on teaching kids the love of the game. I will get off my soap box now and eat my lunch! Thank you for your time

Kandi,

You know, come to think of it, I have been done the same way since I'm at Norris coaching future AC players. Don't think that you're alone, you're not. You summed it up and summed it up quickly my friend. Like you said, I have NEVER been offered a job at OS although I was TOLD there would be a position there for me, but fortunately those that told me that didn't have a knife in their hands--I'd be dead--LOL!!

Like I have said in previous posts on this thread and many others, I would consider and am considering going "home." I could 4give, but I'm not sure I could ever 4get some of the off the wall comments people have said to me like "I can't believe you'd show your face in this crowd!!" That is probably the only one fit to type on this public board.

And I could go on and on, on and on, but...Kandi summed it up pretty dang well. :D:D

Matt

[Edited by TheAnswer9 on 3-24-03 1:01P]