How do I become a coach

Guest lyndelld

I would listen to what everyone has said on this post so far. They are all correct. One thing that I can add that has helped me tremendously is reading. Find a position that you are interested in like defensive line or running backs, and then buy some books about them. Once you get a good foundation of information on the individual positions, if you desire to be a coordinator then buy some books about certain offenses and defenses that you are interested in. Then buy buy head coaching books and football philosophy books. Buy having books, you will always have references to fall back on. I have done a lot of this. Plus, always take notes when you get a chance to go to a clinic or listen to a current coach.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Tulsa. Are you planning on going to school in Tennessee? Special Education is a great field if you heve the desire. I would like to add to some advice from Queenbee gave you about SPED. Do not go into teaching just to become a coach. You will be miserable 7 &1/2 hours a day and miserable during the off season. A lot of schools have volunteer coaches if that is all you want to do. It usually does not pay anything as far as money goes, but it does not for hired coaches either. A coach's pay is not from money it comes from being able to do what you love as much as life itself.

Guest nighttrainlane

Even if you didn't play college football, playing high school is enough.Some of the best coaches I know never played a down of collegiate football.