smyrna

Guest bigbeast

I wouldn't tell anyone on here even if I knew he got a call from Mr. Raikes. It's really no one's business but his, Mr.Raikes' and the players. And no, gymbunny is not Chad-if he wanted to dignify any of this with a response I promise you he would and he would use his own name to do so. As far as your question as to why I am not his assistant now-I no longer work for the school system- I work midnights at the Sheriff's Department and have to sleep during the day so my schedule does not allow me to be fully dedicated to coaching. Trust me I have been very much involved with the Rock Springs team from behind the scenes- keeping up with paper work, ordering and picking up equipment, etc. My decision to change careers is the cause for me not coaching with him-it had nothing to do with him period. I would move and coach with him in California if he decided to do so. As far as Chad being stressed because of this board, that is farther from the truth. He is, at this point in his life, probably the most at peace with himself that I have ever seen him be. He knows and believes that God has a plan for him and if coaching at Smyrna is his will, then it will be done. If not, he will be happy and very sucessful wherever God's plan takes him.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, for the past 8 or 9 years SHS girls basketball has had 3 coaches that all had similar personalities. They were very passionate about coaching but also very vocal and very tough on their players. This was their coaching style but it hurt their chance of building a program. Over the years, many talented and athletic players chose not to play for these coaches because of their style. Finally, they look like they will be getting a candidate that can build a strong program at SHS like the teams they had in the 70's and 80's. Willey or Hibdon will both do a great job. I know both of them, one more so than the other. I believe Hibdon's inexperience is the only thing hurting him. As for Willey he has a lot of experience. Nobody has mentioned that Willey was at Rhea County before he came to Smyrna the first time and he was extremely successful. I believe he took that them to the substate or state. He also was a proven winner at Lavergne. Either way, both of these coaches will do a good job. They will be inheriting a team with loads of potential.

[Edited by futcoach on 4-30-03 9:47A]

No Smyrna girls team has advanced to the regional tournament since at least 1985 and there have been no winning records since they split the school after the 1987-88 school year. There have been 5 coaches at Smyrna since the split and none have been able to win there because the talent level has been down for various reasons. At times the talent level has been bad enough that good freshmen teams could have beaten them. They do have some good young players on the team now and probably have the best chance to win in a long time, but the coaches prior to Donaldson were not very much like her in the way they treated players and they shouldn't be blamed for running off good players. I'm sure they all had moments of frustration and lost their cool, but what coach wouldn't when they face the constant drillings that have become a part of Lady Bulldog basketball over the last 15 years.

Maybe they will finally get the program back on track. I hope so, but don't throw so much blame at hard working coaches that weren't able to win with players of inferior skills and athletic ability. As it has been said "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."