Knox Central's Allen resigns

clipper

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Allen has built a nice foundation for whoever the next coach is to build upon. It sounds like their are alot of qualified coaches for the administration to choose from. Is there anyone who is not from the Knoxville area applying? When are they looking to make a decision?

If Central hires a defensive minded coach they will dominate the district in a couple of years. They have the athletes. The new coach must get the best athletes out. If he can do the above Central will become a force in the district, region, east tn., and the state. If the new coach comes in and thinks they can outscore everybody and doesn't play any d they will have the same results as the previous coach. Coach Allen made the best decision for himself and the program. He had taken them as far as he could. He did a good job of getting the program under control but as far as on the floor coaching he had done all he could. They would have never been better than mediocore under him. Central has an opportunity to hire a top notch coach I hope they don't drop the ball like they have on the past two hires.

Guest blue1

Any word on the Central position. When do they plan to start the interview process? Do they have a time line. I heard over the weekend that Steve Shipley fomally of D.B. and O.R. is interested. They following names have been mentioned: Flatford from Cosby, Barnes from Ga., Mitchell form Lenoir City, Lambert the girls coach at Central, Majors the assisant at Fulton. Any other names going around. Of the ones from above who do you think has the most experience when a first class program/ competitive on the state level. Flatford took Cosby to the state, Shipley took Oak Ridge to the state, Majors has been to the state with Fulton. Majors and Flatford are both Central graduates and know all about Pride and tradition. Barnes seems to be a vagabond moves around an awlful lot. Mitchell really hasn't done much at Lenoir City, Lambert is a hard worker but is the answer or just a quick fix. Of the ones I have mentioned Shipley, Flatford, And Majors should be the final 3 because they have the experience and background with a top notch program.

Barnes has coached at two schools, Oneida and the HS in GA. He took Oneida to the substate every year, and went to the sweet 16 in Georgia. He is an excellent coach who is young, hard working, and demanding. Two of his players from Oneida are playing college ball, Donald Sexton at Tusculum and Joel Davis at Tenn Wesleyan. He is definitely qualified for the Central job. His wife is from Fountain City, and her father is either a county commish or school board member from that district....

Guest blue1

Jkerrbdaman:

If it is not going to happen. You must have an idea of what is going to happen.

Chill:

I realize Barnes is highly qualified and has had great success at the places in which he has coached. I was concerned he would not be willing to stay long enough to build and maintain a solid program. But If he was to come he would be giving up alot of money. Central could certainly do worse than Barnes and if I am not mistaken he is certified to teach in an area in which they have an opening.

Can anyone give more info on Coach Barnes? Where did he coach in GA? Did he have a loaded team or did he make them better? How large a classification did they participate in? The Oneida team was single A with one very good player in Sexton. I'm curious if the GA job was similar.

It looks like the cubbard is not bare at Central for whoever is the new coach. Zach Conner all KIL and next years soph of the year in Lee Smith, plus one of the best defensive guards in DJ Smith.

thanks

Guest SassyMom

Interesting that you should mention Shipley for the Knox Central position. After some research I have learned that he has not even applied. He has applied for the Franklin High School Boys position in Williamson County where he lives. From all I know about him I just can't see him moving his family--but who knows about Shipley. Somebody from Central needs to contact him if they are interested. He could do the job for sure.

Guest blue1

Central High School has a fine A.D. in Ken Dunlap and in my conversations with him he seems to be a fine young man. But if the administration of Central High School looks no further than J.D. Lambert (who by the way is indeed a hard worker) they have failed the basketball athletes at Central High School.