Trey Pearson

Jumpshot

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pearson should leave. he was under to many constraints at ole miss. ole miss bball is boring. how could two of tn's most exciting players get no highlight reels at ole miss(i'm talking about loe and pearson)

pearson is way to talented and exciting of a player to not be allowed to do what he does natural which is score!

I take issue with you characterizing Rod Barnes as an "idiot". Not only was he "NATIONAL COACH OF THE YEAR", but I challenge you to find a nicer, harder working coach anywhere. Every coach has their own philosophy as to how the game should be played. Rod believes in defensive intensity FIRST, and to be patient on offense so as not to squander a lot of possessions with the ball.

Jonathon Loe played for the same type of coach in high school, and he bucked the system as much as he could for the year he was at Bartlett. He was fortunate to come there in a year when they already had a good team in place and he was a nice addition. Any other coach and any other team and he might not have gotten to go to Ole Miss anyway. I know for a fact that they were hesitant to take him in the first place and red-shirted him to better prepare him. He didn't even make it through the first year on the floor. His leaving doesn't surprise me and I don't believe it was because of a lack on Coach Barnes' fault.

Trey is a different matter though. He became a freshman starter in the SEC which is an accomplishment and showed the coaching staff had a lot of confidence in him and his future. His not getting to score a lot as a freshman may have had a lot more to do with Coach Barnes trying to develop his total game and not just his scoring. When you've been the first scoring option in high school and allowed to shoot anytime you feel like it, you think that's all there is to the game. Maybe he will be better off in a run-and-gun offensive system. Hope he finds one at the level he's at now cause all of the choices you're mentioning will be a step backwards.

Idiot may have been to harsh of a word.

The more I have watched Ole Miss this year, the less I have been impressed with them. Pearson is by far one of the best defenders in High School that I have ever seen. I have also seen him pass up entirely too many open looks, which leads me to believe he, along with others, are being told not to shoot.

You want the ball going through you best players hands on each possession. The question I have is if Barnes told certain players NOT to shoot. If you do this, it takes the game away from the team, and gives it to an individual.

All joking aside, jdubb could probably answer this one for us.

I don't know if I'd say Jonathan bucked the system as much as I'd say that Hubie Smith adapted the system to the style that fit his players the best. And that was to let Loe, Chase Hardin, etc. run more than Bartlett typically does. Hubie was still in charge of that team, there wasn't any bucking of the system.

Jonathan didn't look like himself out there this year, he'd have a lane to the basket and wouldn't attack it. He barely even tried to score.

I love how people throw out there opinions about kids and have no clue. First off, I once asked Jonathan who a better coach, Hubie Smith or Rod Barnes (this was before Jonathan was unhappy also) and he said w/o question Hubie Smith, which blew my mind b/c Barnes was coach of the year a few years back. Next, the fact that Jonathan played for Hubie and Bartlett has nothing to do w/ him getting to Ole Miss. Ole Miss signed him even before he even played a game for Bartlett. It was his AAU coach, Kevin Sneathern, that got him the invite to ABCD camp and he went there and shined. True, Rod Barnes may not have had a lot to do w/ Jonathan leaving Ole Miss, although he did mention that there were double standards at Ole Miss w/ certain player. Jonathan simply made the decision he thought was best for him. Ole Miss played SO slow. Loe is best in the open floor, getting out and running and using that supreme athleticism of his. Please don't any more off the wall statements unless you know them to be facts. Next, Coach Smith saw how good Jonathan was in the open floor and off the dribble and changed the way we played. Isn't that what all great coaches do? They adapt to the personel they have. I don't know if anyone on here remembers the 96-97 team that Bartlett had but that team ran a lot too, B/C THEY HAD THE PERSONEL TO DO IT. Jonanthan didn't buck the system, no one bucks anything on coach Smith.

Should have known better than to get on here and say anything negative about a Bartlett player. Just should have known, right TJ and Opperman?

You are right TJ when you say that Loe's best game is in an unstructured, loosey goosey style of play. He is athletic, and he does have a lot of skill. I'm sure that he did learn volumes on how to play the game under Hubie and he became a much better player in the long run, but if you think for one second that that makes him an expert on who's the better coach, Hubie or Rod Barnes, you're crazy. It's obvious that he would LIKE Hubie better than Rod because as you said, Coach Smith tailored his offense around Jonathon...Coach Barnes didn't. It's simply a case of the kid going to a program in which he didn't fit, but if I'm not mistaken, it was his best offer. Hope he can end up in a program that fits his style but the sad part of it is, he will have to sit another year now.

By the way TJ, when are you going to get off your duff and get back in the game. I think you are going to waste sitting around.

Don't worry about what i'm doing, i'm doing JUST fine. Jonathan isn't the type of kid that would just say Hubie is a better coach than Barnes just b/c he didn't like the style Ole Miss played. I trust him 100%. If you know anything about basketball, you can tell after a few months who is a better coach. I can sit here and tell you that Hubie is better than my college coach. If you were to sit here and say something intelligent involving Bartlett Basketball, then I wouldn't argue, but of course when you make stupid comments about things that aren't true we Bartlett people are gonna get on here and defend them. Do I make comments about Raleigh-Egypt basketball? No, b/c I don't know what goes on. And if you want to know the truth, Jonathan couldn't STAND coach Smith when he was playing for him, but now that he's played for someone else, he understands how great coach Smith was for him.

[Edited by TJ on 4-8-03 1:29A]

So are you agreeing that Loe didn't buck the system at Bartlett? My only problem was with you saying that he did. All of your post, except for my name, was directed at TJ.

And for what it's worth, it's not like you don't get riled up with negative comments about R-E or even not putting R-E players where you think they should be on lists.