Volunteer Falcons

Guest vhs06falcon

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct in saying we get bent out of shape when players leave for DB. As far as given $$ current coaches would leave..better check your facts on that one...several!!!!!!!! I mean several coaches and former coaches currently employed at Volunteer HAVE been offered other jobs...some for more money some for less and even :P DB and they didn't leave. Loyalty is a persoanality trait in some people.

If you want to get on the RIGHT page, ask Coach Clark his FIRST reaction to losing a player he didn't "send" to Volunteer.......that will show you that all teams do not want to lose players and even get "upset" when it happens

See..you exemplify the statement you made. In fact, I was there and he was upset. In most, maybe not yours I will say because you seem pretty level headed, DB "people" think players just choose to show up there to play without any coersion..not true and when someone leaves they think it is awful. This is last I will say about it because you are right teams will gon on and be as good as they are now, but recruiting happens whether you want to admit it..I know I was in the middle of it several times. It may not be anyone involved with any school...just parents, other players, community people, business people....a long list of people but it happens AND most of the time the schools really have little to do with it. I will say for both NORTH and DB they have had ecellent atheletes attend thier schools that should/could have went to Volunteer..much more than North/DB students coming to Volunteer..it will take a long time to equal those numbers out.

I will give congrats to DB and hope they roll in 5A and the coaching staff does real well with the palyers they have...seems they just reload!

WaCoJaCo.... I can't blame coaches for going to DB. Great program. Within my years of knowledge of this topic, I've seen several coaches who improved their family situation by increasing their income with a move to DB or Science Hill. Good for them and I personally am happy for them. In fact, I'm friends with three of DBs football coaches. There are currently four coaches on the DB staff alone from Hawkins County, by the way, and that's fine. Good for them and their families. The head basketball coach at Science Hill is a great guy, who was one of the best basketball coaches Volunteer ever had. They hated losing him. You db fans should be thankful for the program that has been built over decades. Thank your grandparents. It's a great program. You should be thankful to be able to compete statewide in nearly every sport nearly every year. What I'm sure you can't relate to is losing key players and coaches nearly every year. How long was Coach Wilson at the wheel. Buck was a genius who was there for what seemed like a 100 years. Graham will probably retire there. Baseball Coach Ritz has been there a since leaving his state championship program at Sullivan North the mid 1980's. Volunteer and other smaller schools have tried over and over to build a competitive program, only to lose some top players or coaches every single year. By the way, congrats on getting those two 6'5"+ kids from the Sullivan South program this year. I'm sure they'll be great. :o

The current coaches have dedicated themselves to this program and have stuck around longer than two years. My original purpose was to just brag on them for their years and efforts. I also think you should know the men better before you state what they would do. You said "I know Venable, Skelton, and Mcclain care about those kids & the community, but If they were offered a better oppertunity and more money they would be gone tommorow. And so would you, lets not kid ourselves." You don't know these coaches. I'm not saying they won't leave someday. Everone has to try to improve themselves. Heck, when Ritz retires, McLain should be your first choice as baseball coach. He knows the came and would be a great head coach anywhere he decides to go.

To address your attack. First off, I don't live there. So it would be hard for me to be recruited by DB. I am happy, that this Volunteer is now in the classification they belong in, because of school size, and are doing well. I'd like to see other Region 1 schools get back to where they once were. Boone and South used to be much better in football programs. I like to see Sullivan North Baseball get back to the level of the Smurfs in the early and mid '80s. Heck, I pull for our whole region, especially when it comes to playoffs. Maybe if recruiting wasn't king... Secondly, it's McLain not Mcclain. (Remember McLain, he led Big 10 Basketball scoring in '88 and '89. He was also a great baseball player, who went on to play at ETSU. By the way, he was stongly recruited by Coach Van Huss and his assistants in '87. McLain stayed at Volunteer, unlike Sevier and Keirsey.) Thirdly, catch Coach Venable or Skelton out and say what you said to them. You better duck. As for db kids coming to Volunteer or other surronding schools, they are usually kids who have gotten kicked off the db team or are having troubles in school with grades or discipline. And the big point is.... kids leaving DB were NOT recruited. The kids that transfer to DB, well......

As far as dragging db through the mud. I never mentioned DB in my first post. You brought them in the picture. How did you decide, so clearly, that I even meant DB. All of the Sullivan County, Washington Co, Science Hill, Carter co, etc, schools are all East of Church Hill. Yet you clearly chose DB, right away. Hmmm, wonder why? :lol:

From an neutral position, WaCo, why does every other school in the region hate DB in sports? Don't say it's because you win and the other schools are sore losers. East, Boone, Volunteer, etc. have experienced many losing seasons, yet ask them who they hate. Why? Arrogance, bragging, and recruiting. You can bring it up in your next Quarterback Club meeting. That's all I have to say on this subject. Period. :D

Thank you robjim. Although I do not want to see the thread shut down, I think WaCo needs to get back to the D-B thread or start a thread concering the topic he is persuing. As the D-B folks tell everyone else that gets on their thread, speak to the reason for the thread or get off. This thread is for discussion of Volunteer football and not to discuss (I use that term loosely) who recruits and who doesn't.

unbiased.... I never said McLain would leave. Where did that come from? ;) I didn't know he was the head coach - thanks and good for him. I hope he stays forever. I hear people in Church Hill love him. Was a great local athlete and is a good coach who someday we'll be calling great.

What I was trying to relay to WaCo, was that if I were DB, and thought Mike Ritz was going to retire.... I'd go after McLain. Now at this point... I am dropping the whole recruiting thing that WaCo brought to light. Doesn't belong here and just stirs people up. I guess WaCo got me a little stirred.

Whats important is that the people in Church Hill and Surgoinsville are excited about what their local coaches and kids, and they are starting to put their program together. Good for them.... :lol:

We ain't going to let this wACo shut down yet another record thread? I'm just gussing about the record, but we do get the hits and all it says is "Volunteer Falcons." The coaches at Volunteer? Well I like it, we seem to keep a young, upbeat, hungry staff,,and you missed naming a few of my favorites, and we still have maybe 50yrs. at the 1 and 2 spots, What do ya want? We have the kids, the coaches, the support,,We need good health.

I didn't have time to read the long post but I will. It's late here, race weekend.

James W Salley's name was also mentioned. What a great builder of young men this man turned out to be. How many young men and women have The Salley Family and inlaws educated and prepared for college and life? Thanks Coach.

I guess I'll be in the DB parking lot about 6 Friday aftrenoon feeding myself and other, As Volunteer Battles The Trailblazers later.

Good health and " Wrap'em up."

Edited by ulcpanther