High School vs Club

Seldon

i too would definitly say club. the quality of play is better in my opinion. i think one reason is all the time you can spend with your club team as opposed to the few months limited for high school. regardless, the quality of soccer is just not the same on a good high school team as it is on a good club team. i would much rather win a state championship with my club than high school, though the publicity with high school is nice.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to have to go with club on this one. While highschool is more spread out with more contenders for state it really bottoms down to how many good quality club players a highschool team has. CLub soccer is a much higher level and there is no comparison between a club team and a highschool team. If you are looking to make it past highschool soccer to college you will want to put more effort into club if you had to choose. And yes a division 1 club player is able to play highschool. There are no rules against it.

I think we can all agree that High school is more fun because of the publicity, but basically to sum up what everyone says, even if club doesn't get you recognized publicly, you do get reconized by the people who count: college coaches. High school is like international games at a much lower level; you see these people day in and day out, and then u play in front of your peers for your school, and a win in front of them is an amazing feeling. I think both teams have their benefits.

Sure, DI club players play for their high schools. Take a look at Bearden and Farragut and virtually every one of their top players also play for either Knoxville Select '85 (mostly seniors), Diadora Impact '86 (juniors) or some other DI club team like the Knoxville Knights (also juniors), Knoxville Fire '87 or someone else. The abundance of club talent at those schools relates directly to their success in high school competition. I'm sure it's true in Middle and East Tennessee as well.

well i think that club i more competitive but i think i would rather win a highschool state cup then club because your winnin it for your whole school not just your team and it gives you bragging rights over friends that go to other schools that are close for example i live n m'boro n theres about to be 4 high schools here and i play with kids from all the highschools in club so i cant brag bout nothin but when we win in school i can so i like to win state in both but if i picked 1 i think it would be schooland not juss for those reason thurs more

After winning multiple state championships, for club (D1) and for high school, two AAA, I would have to say that the High school games meant more. Looking at it from a players standpoint, we played in front of our classmates, our friend, and our neighbors, something that never happened in club, except for the ocassional girlfriend. We represented our school and the high school championship felt more deserved than the club one, partly because we played with what we had, although it was quite a good group of players all from club teams. The club level championship was still great to win, but it seemed that we pulled players from all across areas to beat one team. Nothing against club because without it we probably would not have won two state championships.

I look forward to hearing about the Bearden Farragutt game.

Well put Mr. Scary. In club, you play for yourself and your parents. In high school, you play for your school mates, friends, girlfriends, school and community. In one you represent a concept. In the other you represent a large group of people who experience the excitement vicariously through you.

I'm wondering how many of those who find the idea of winning a state title in club to be more exciting, play on good club teams but not-so-good high school teams.

If you want to see the difference in total level of excitement (players and fans both) between club and high school, be at Bearden Thursday night. There's no comparison.